• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

For some reason, my thermometer has stuck closer to the Park than anything else. It has stayed a little cooler. That might be because my neighborhood in upper Manhattan is a little cooler than many others (based on maps I have seen), and my sensor is higher up next to an apartment. I'm at 89.8F now.

83/78/92 right now.

Heat Index stayed above 100 from 8:40 AM to 8:35 PM, 11 hours and 55 minutes.

Heat Index stayed above 110 from 11:15 AM to 5:55 PM, 6 hours and 40 minutes.

Heat Index stayed above 120 from 2:08 PM to 2:09 PM, just 1 to 2 minutes, ultimately peaking at 121.3°F (97.3°F/81.6°F).

This is obviously just data from a PWS, nothing official, but arguably closer to reality than Central Park.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:46 PM, donsutherland1 said:

While I don't see consecutive 100 degree days in Central Park, the probability of summer's most intense heat so far has increased.

Don both JFK and LGA hit 99!  I recorded 99 here on the south shore of Nassau County also.  Maybe they can both hit 100 today? I'm ignoring Central Park, they are lagging far behind all the airports

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, bluewave said:

Newburgh has the highest heat index north of the area.

93/79/109

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/meteogram/link.shtml?choice=KSWF

I think we should start measuring total heat using the heat index, since our humidity has been on the rise, total heat content needs to factor that in.  A "hot" day should be a day with a HI of 90, an extremely hot day a day with a HI of 110.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, psv88 said:

Happened last Sunday too. On a west wind, the air is a downslope and blows across the whole island without going over water. So it actually heats up more as it goes further east. Same reason Boston torches on a west wind. LGA is surrounded by water to the west, so it’s not as hot on West flow days. 

frustrated we got stuck at 99 today, but tomorrow should be a little hotter with a west wind all day

• Sad 1