Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

Just now, binbisso said:

new member been following for awhile. 95* dp 72 here in lower westchester. very run of the mill heat wave here. dews are down at all reporting stations except LI. seems LI is getting worst of heat today.

Dews were 77-78 all afternoon, then we mixed out a bit to 75, and temp spiked to 99. Pretty cool to watch the atmosphere at work like that 

Just now, psv88 said:

Dews were 77-78 all afternoon, then we mixed out a bit to 75, and temp spiked to 99. Pretty cool to watch the atmosphere at work like that 

yes. pretty unusual for LI to have worst of the heat. esp when you have sites like newark and lag. which must have thermometer under a jet engine.lol

Just now, binbisso said:

yes. pretty unusual for LI to have worst of the heat. esp when you have sites like newark and lag. which must have thermometer under a jet engine.lol

Happened last Sunday too. On a west wind, the air is a downslope and blows across the whole island without going over water. So it actually heats up more as it goes further east. Same reason Boston torches on a west wind. LGA is surrounded by water to the west, so it’s not as hot on West flow days. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Very rare for temp to keep rising here at 3 pm. 97.9 and my sensor is in the shade

My high temp is usually around 4pm for my location I have noticed.  I get a slight drop 2-3 timeframe and then it rises back up until a tad after 4pm.  Probably due to seabreeze clouds imo. 

49 minutes ago, doncat said:

Not really sure...I think that the pws seem to record higher dews, so that's the difference in the heat index values....Grain of salt.

Yeah, I think dews are hard to measure exactly. Also, the biggest difference probably is most pws are in someone's backyard surrounded by vegetation or vegetable gardens etc.  That said, in those same conditions I never seen much 78-80 dew until last few years.  So even if it isnt exact to the degree, the trend is real. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

other places that got torrential downpours did not affect todays' temps only central park..

it hit 95* in the park today. 95* also here in Pelham. 93* in white plains.  95* is probably accurate for the park but not for 34 street and 7th ave (i can walk on my grass without shoes today but not the driveway). just like lga does not represent most of northern queens as it(lga) runs way to hot esp at night. 

Just now, binbisso said:

it hit 95* in the park today. 95* also here in Pelham. 93* in white plains.  95* is probably accurate for the park but not for 34 street and 7th ave (i can walk on my grass without shoes today but not the driveway). just like lga does not represent most of northern queens as it(lga) runs way to hot esp at night. 

the park use to have higher recorded temps years ago....

• Like 1