• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

Let's not forget 1966 during this period.     From June 20 to July 15 a total of 26 days---and 19 of them were in the 90's, with 4. 100's mixed in.

103 on July 03 in the Central Park, with 107! at LaG, topped the bunch.

Was warmest summer to that time, I think.  37 days of at least 90 degrees.

Aw!   The Good Ole Days,---when I could almost tolerate that kind of continuous heat.  Lol.

• Like 1

@doncat, serendipitously, I checked wunderground this morning, and my station is online! Your suggestion ostensibly worked, that is, inputting the device ID number into the Web Download section of the Communications Port. I spent 1 hour on the phone with Davis going through every permutation, and they even noted that one does not need to put any values in that box! I believe you should begin working for Davis support. :) 

Thanks again. Here's my station:

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/nj/colts neck township/40.293773300000005%2C-74.1595374

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

@doncat, serendipitously, I checked wunderground this morning, and my station is online! Your suggestion ostensibly worked, that is, inputting the device ID number into the Web Download section of the Communications Port. I spent 1 hour on the phone with Davis going through every permutation, and they even noted that one does not need to put any values in that box! I believe you should begin working for Davis support. :) 

Thanks again. Here's my station:

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/nj/colts neck township/40.293773300000005%2C-74.1595374

Great glad I could help:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

Well we are not celebrating Gettysburg today, so I’m not sure why most Americans should be remembering that today. Also pretty sure every American knows why they are bbqing today as well. Silly post. 

What Americans need to remember today  is that what defines us and makes our country unique is freedom of expression and thought. We all seem to hate one another based on what the other thinks. This hate at times causes some to try to silence the voices of others, which is Unamerican and what we fought against in 1776.

this is what Americans should remember. Freedom of expression is quintessential to who we are. Not Gettysburg, one of the ugliest days of American history.

Why is it a silly post? He was referencing Gettysburg and so that's what I was responding to, no one ever said that's what we were remembering today.  

• Thanks 5

20 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

lol JFK may reach 100 before Central Park does.

No one cares about Central Park anymore anyway, it doesn't reflect NYC weather in any way.  I dont know why the media ever uses them anymore, they should just use LGA which is far more reflective of urban NYC.

I wish the NWS would send a bulletin to the media to tell them to stop using Central Park numbers.  All we get now is Lee Goldberg telling us that the wind and temp reports from Central Park are not representative of the area- but he keeps on quoting them and the highs and lows there.

Either that or move the Central Park equipment out into the Sheep Meadow (or set up duplicate equipment there and just use their numbers and only keep the original equipment for historical purposes) or some other open area lol.  No one really cares about weather continuity from the 1800s anymore anyway, we all know the climate was far different back then.

If it's any consolation most people get their weather from weather apps on their phone. Most apps just point to the closest official obs station, not holding central park in any special regard. For a large portion of NYC you'll get LGA readings and statistics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Wow. You are beating me today. 89.7 here lol. A bit of a SE breeze kicked in here, knocked us down to 89.4

One of the few days I probably will.  Those winds when they pick up a tad knock the temp down only to rebound and repeat the cycle. I seem to go up to 89 and down to 88 as winds gust to 8 mph.

At my parent’s house, Muttontown, it hit 90.1 so far.  Definitely need to set up the new VP2 I have for here as the fan in the FARS is making noise plus my anemometer is shot. 

• Like 1

Under bright sunshine, the temperature rose to 90° in New York City's Central Park for the second time this year.

Meanwhile, on the heels of its warmest June on record, the first four days of July are the warmest four-day period on record in Anchorage. As of 4 pm AKD, Anchorage has had a high temperature of 85°. That ties Anchorage's all-time record high temperature, which was set back on June 14, 1969. Anchorage currently has a mean temperature of 70.5° for the July 1-4 period. The old record was 68.4°, which was set during June 15-18, 2015. The 7-day average is 68.1°, which also sets a new record. Prior to 2019, the record was 66.4°, which was set during the July 19-25, 2013 period. The first week of July appears likely to have a 70° or above mean temperature.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.3°C for the week centered around June 26. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.20°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.70°C. Neutral-warm ENSO conditions may now be evolving.

The SOI was -2.46 today.

Today, the preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) figure was -0.897. Blocking will likely persist through at least the first week of July and continue beyond it.

Blocking is consistent with warmth on the East Coast during the middle and latter part of summer. Hence, should blocking generally persist, the prospects of a warm or perhaps very warm second half of summer could increase.

Since 1950, there was only a single year that saw the AO average -1.000 or below in May and -0.500 or below in June (the preliminary June 2019 average was -0.665): 1993. 1993 featured much above normal readings in the East during the late summer (August 15-September 15 period) and predominantly cooler than normal readings across the western third of the nation during much of the summer.

On July 3, the MJO was in Phase 1 at an amplitude of 1.108 (RMM). The July 2-adjusted amplitude was 0.632.

Since 1974 when MJO data was reported, years in which the MJO was in Phase 5 at an amplitude of 1.500 or above for at least two days, as was the case this year, were typically warmer than normal and drier than normal during the first 10 days of July.

Since 1994, there have been 6 cases where the SOI fell to -35.00 or below during the June 16-30 period as occurred on June 21-22. Following such SOI outcomes, the July 1-15 temperature averaged approximately 3.5° above the June 16-30 figure in New York City. Based on the modeled June 16-30 outcome, that would imply that the first half of July would be among the top third warmest first halves of the month on record. Based on the current guidance, the July 1-10 period is likely to have a mean temperature near 78.5° in New York City. That would be the 27th warmest first 10 days of July since daily records were first kept back in 1869. The second half of July should not be as warm relative to normal, though much warmer conditions could redevelop near the end of the month.

Overall, July looks to be warmer than normal in the Middle Atlantic and southern New England regions. The implied probability of a warmer than normal July in New York City is currently 56%.

• Like 1