Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2019 General Discussion

snowlover2

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

So, 92º was the highest temp the Cedar Rapids airport was able to attain during the entire stretch of heat, and now all the storm activity is totally skipping over this area.  *sigh*

Yeah it looks like we won't get a drop here either, which is actually pretty impressive given the setup.  It looked like we could really be in for it earlier.  Sitting at 0.62" for July, which is kind of funny considering how ridiculously wet we were a month or so ago.  The grass has really fried up the past 10 days or so.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chinook said:

That is from CoCoRAHS.org It's an organization that started in Fort Collins CO, by former state climatologist Nolan Doesken. It got started slowly in the early 2000's, but now includes a huge amount of volunteers in the US and Canada.

I've been a CoCoRaHS volunteer since May, 2006.

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I flipped on the Cubs game and the crowd broke out into a cheer when it hit there.  Seriously.

6 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Nice.  That would be miserable being at a game in conditions like today.  

Wind shift hit here about 5 min ago.  Temp has already dropped 6 degrees.  

I went to a Ft. Wayne Tincaps game tonight and had the same thing happen with an OFB there. Coincidentally, the WCM from IWX was sitting in the section next to me and we were pointing at our phones and at the line of cumulus to each other and waving it toward us. The people sitting around us probably thought we were nuts.

67238970_696539577453458_6191690850381070336_n.jpg

• Haha 1

Fifty shades of July 2009 over the next few days after tomorrow. :lol: Models have been consistent over the past several days on storms that develop later tomorrow which is a precursor to a fall-like storm that is expected during the day on Monday. TWC is currently forecasting a high of only 74. Ironically, this is exactly on the 10th anniversary of the soaker that was an all-day washout and resulted in a record low maximum temperature of 69 degrees and rainfall total of 1.51 inches which occurred on July 22, 2009.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:34 PM, Chicago WX said:

Don’t try to reason or respond to that idiot. You’re a good poster. Don’t waste your time. :)

LOL, the idiot who's not delusional enough to think it's going to be in the 60s and 70s for the entire week. Yeah, okay buddy. Anyone with common sense knows that the FV3 is not accurate in regards to surface temps. Has a painfully obvious cold bias that has been pointed out numerous times already by not only me but many others, including very respectable mets. NWS is forecasting 80s Wed-Sun for Elwood, IN. TWC is too (slightly warmer actually). Guess they're idiots too, amirite?   

4 hours ago, Spartman said:

Fifty shades of July 2009 over the next few days after tomorrow. :lol: Models have been consistent over the past several days on storms that develop later tomorrow which is a precursor to a fall-like storm that is expected during the day on Monday. TWC is currently forecasting a high of only 74. Ironically, this is exactly on the 10th anniversary of the soaker that was an all-day washout and resulted in a record low maximum temperature of 69 degrees and rainfall total of 1.51 inches which occurred on July 22, 2009.

Lol, one of the warmest Julys on record thus far and you're complaining about a couple days of 70s.

This month is running 4-6 degrees above average for most of the subforum, and probably won't end up much lower than that by the end of the month. Now THAT is anomalous, especially after coming off a rather cool June.

On 7/21/2019 at 3:59 AM, NegativeEPO said:

LOL, the idiot who's not delusional enough to think it's going to be in the 60s and 70s for the entire week. Yeah, okay buddy. Anyone with common sense knows that the FV3 is not accurate in regards to surface temps. Has a painfully obvious cold bias that has been pointed out numerous times already by not only me but many others, including very respectable mets. NWS is forecasting 80s Wed-Sun for Elwood, IN. TWC is too (slightly warmer actually). Guess they're idiots too, amirite?   

The new GFSs' cold bias has been non-existent for a while now.

18 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I've been a CoCoRaHS volunteer since May, 2006.

I went to a Ft. Wayne Tincaps game tonight and had the same thing happen with an OFB there. Coincidentally, the WCM from IWX was sitting in the section next to me and we were pointing at our phones and at the line of cumulus to each other and waving it toward us. The people sitting around us probably thought we were nuts.

When I was in grad school, I used to spend some time making hail pads for CoCoRAHS headquarters, which is a small building at the CSU Atmospheric Science campus. I have seen some (legendary) hail pads with a dent that's baseball size. It's pretty easy to cut yourself on aluminum foil making hail pads.

• Like 1

0.72 in my tippy bucket which matches nicely with KIND's 0.68 so far. It was a nice typical July storm to bring in some cooler air. So far the dews have been above 70 degrees for all of the three day reporting period. That is going to change, and soon.

For being typically the hottest time of the year, the recent past has been fairly nice. Sure there has been a couple of warm days. But those days have not been  a prolonged stretch. Looks like more of the same coming in the near future. A+ summer so far.