Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 New England Banter and Disco

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I’m not a fan of the aerial spraying of anvil 10-10. A few people got EEE...it sucks. But people die in car accidents everyday. People get cancer. People get other ailments...some self inflicted like diet. This stuff is killing more than mosquitoes. It’s probably killing beneficial insects including bees too. Yeah, it has a short half life, but who knows what the long term effects of spraying it everywhere through the air is.

The mosquitos were absolutely horrible here shortly after we moved in.... I’d never seen Anything like it. I grew up on a small swamp/pond and they were never as bad as they were here.

We have had trucks spraying since like beginning of June pretty much weekly down our street. And then the aerial spraying last week 

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

I’m not a fan of the aerial spraying of anvil 10-10. A few people got EEE...it sucks. But people die in car accidents everyday. People get cancer. People get other ailments...some self inflicted like diet. This stuff is killing more than mosquitoes. It’s probably killing beneficial insects including bees too. Yeah, it has a short half life, but who knows what the long term effects of spraying it everywhere through the air is.

I've been railing about this on Facebook .Can I please opt out of the cancer bath over my house. 

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

I've been railing about this on Facebook .Can I please opt out of the cancer bath over my house. 

I feel like we do so much for EEE which is rare overall from a number of cases standpoint, but we sort of "meh" Lyme Disease which is still very bad and so so many more people have it. Kill those effing ticks. Lyme Disease is secretly becoming an epidemic. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I feel like we do so much for EEE which is rare overall from a number of cases standpoint, but we sort of "meh" Lyme Disease which is still very bad and so so many more people have it. Kill those effing ticks. Lyme Disease is secretly becoming an epidemic. 

While I agree with your premise, I have a couple issues.  Lyme is a treatable condition with antibiotics.  EEE has no cure and the mortality rate is 30% for those who contract it and for those who do not, most are left while severe neurological/cognitive impairment.   With the global rise in temps, we will most definitely see an increase in cases annually.  We should do as mush as we can, safely, to mitigate, lessen, prevent, and possibly cure this.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Unfortunately, there's no practical method (of which I'm aware) for broadcast control of ticks, short of converting the woods to parking lots.  :devilsmiley:  There are effective ways to prevent ticks getting on oneself, and methods to keep them out of one's yard area. The latter consists of providing ideal nest material (cotton or dryer lint treated with pyrethrum in a tube - TP centers work fine) for small rodents, but the stuff needs to be placed at about 10-foot intervals around the area one wishes to protect.  (Would need about 40 such "baits" to protect 1/4 acre.)

When the Sugarloaf golf course was opened, the black flies were as bad as it gets, the South Branch of the Carrabasset being ideal spawning habitat for the critters.  The resort got permission to apply a biological (BT) product specially developed for flies and mosquitoes and of little/no danger to other organisms.  Costs more than chemical insecticides, but would make sense around people's homes.  (Not a silver bullet, of course.  I'm not sure why a related BT product has not been used for browntail moth.)

Lyme is a treatable condition with antibiotics.

True, but one must recognize the need for that treatment and many with Lyme do not and progress to the chronic disease, which is far harder to treat and can lead to misery and shortened lifespans for numbers several orders of magnitude greater than those contracting EEE (at present - warming climate, as you've noted, can lead to increased EEE, plus other joys like malaria.)  This should not be either/or but both/and...

34 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

While I agree with your premise, I have a couple issues.  Lyme is a treatable condition with antibiotics.  EEE has no cure and the mortality rate is 30% for those who contract it and for those who do not, most are left while severe neurological/cognitive impairment.   With the global rise in temps, we will most definitely see an increase in cases annually.  We should do as mush as we can, safely, to mitigate, lessen, prevent, and possibly cure this.

Promote increases in the bat population and other beneficial insects that eat mosquitoes? There's just not enough cases for me to warrant the spraying. You can protect yourself somewhat from them with proper clothing and/or body sprays as well. If you want to personally spray your own yard, go for it.

I think the skeeter boom around here is more due to the overall trend for dewy summers and much above normal rainfall. Yeah, I know some of you need rain right now, but region wide it's been a freshet from the skies for the last 20 years. We need a few years like the 60s or 80s with some cracking scorched earth.

I know some scary encounters with those that have Lyme Disease and are still battling it. I understand it's not as deadly, but it does have far reaching effects if not treated fairly promptly. If I am out, I throw on bug spray. And there are companies who use products that aren't made by Chemical Ali's relatives, that you can spray around the yard and it does the job. My cousin in Bridgewater near the Taunton River does it. He never has an issue, and the mosquitoes there will gnaw your arm off and fly it back to their nests. LOL. I'll find out the name and what they put down. It does cost money, but it works.  I'm with Dendrite and amarshal....just not sure having these planes dropping drizzle drops of brain cancer are the best thing. 

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I know some scary encounters with those that have Lyme Disease and are still battling it. I understand it's not as deadly, but it does have far reaching effects if not treated fairly promptly. If I am out, I throw on bug spray. And there are companies who use products that aren't made by Chemical Ali's relatives, that you can spray around the yard and it does the job. My cousin in Bridgewater near the Taunton River does it. He never has an issue, and the mosquitoes there will gnaw your arm off and fly it back to their nests. LOL. I'll find out the name and what they put down. It does cost money, but it works.  I'm with Dendrite and amarshal....just not sure having these planes dropping drizzle drops of brain cancer are the best thing. 

1 minute ago, alex said:

Took the kids down to Lake Winni today since my oldest starts school on Tuesday and summer is quickly coming to an end. I don't think I ever quite appreciated how nice it is, and only an hour from here. Too bad I didn't think about it till now!!!

5318622B-DBD0-47A5-9C38-2E683C476CED.jpeg

Ellacoya?

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Its downright scary how many people I know that have gotten lyme in the last few years. The numbers are certainly rising rapidly.

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

But when an Airbus flies overhead on the way to Frankfurt the gubment is turning the frogs gay.

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Any well water people here know if a heavy rain can cause a funky smell in the water? We got nearly 2” of rain Monday night in a short period and yesterday morning the water smelled horrible and still does 

Rain doesn't affect my well water but my well is 300' deep, is yours shallow?

7 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Rain doesn't affect my well water but my well is 300' deep, is yours shallow?

180’. 

We have a softener followed by a carbon filter. We had a bad sulfur smell when we moved in and the carbon filter has done a pretty good job of controlling that. And suddenly right after the rain the smell was horrible out of nowhere. Just replaced the filter 2 weeks ago as well 

23 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

180’. 

We have a softener followed by a carbon filter. We had a bad sulfur smell when we moved in and the carbon filter has done a pretty good job of controlling that. And suddenly right after the rain the smell was horrible out of nowhere. Just replaced the filter 2 weeks ago as well 

Where the hell do you live? It’s like backwards Kentucky there.