Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 New England Banter and Disco

CapturedNature

On 9/16/2019 at 8:35 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Propane is violent

One of the reasons I am done with fossil fuels especially gas/propane. Soo many explosions seem to be happening these days. I converted my whole house to eveything electric and have solar panels so my electricity is free. Just installed another cold weather heat pump and plan on using no fossil fuels this winter for heating. I will be using thermodynamics pumping heat from outdoors into my house at 470% efficiency burning zero fossil fuels. 

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I still scratch my head as the Hobby Lobby here is closed on Sundays, Don't know if that's the case in there other stores.............

Works just fine for Chick-Fil-A.  
And "Christmas Creep" (term is not my invention) continues to progress.  Not that many years ago the Christmas displays went up for Black Friday.  Then it was post-Halloween, which has been called the 2nd biggest holiday for consumer spending.  Now it's leapfrogged past that day?   Maybe by September 2030 we'll be seeing displays for Christmas 2031.  :lol:

• Sad 1

Just now, tamarack said:

And "Christmas Creep" (term is not my invention) continues to progress.  Not that many years ago the Christmas displays went up for Black Friday.  Then it was post-Halloween, which has been called the 2nd biggest holiday for consumer spending.  Now it's leapfrogged past that day?   Maybe by September 2030 we'll be seeing displays for Christmas 2031.  :lol:

it's ridiculous-we hear xmas music on the radio/XM now in early November-it's no wonder why I'm ready to take it all down 12/26-sick of it all by then since it's a 2 month thing now...

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Earlier and earlier every year, The Jewlery stores have done Christmas in July for years, The others are starting to catch on I guess.   Lol.

Chik-Fil-A is quite popular across the south and Midwest. They have all kinds of chains that are nearly non-existent elsewhere from Cracker Barrel to Waffle House and Sonic to name a few. I wonder why these sorts of restaurants aren't around in the big population centers of the east coast? Just like it felt like we were last to finally get Walmart, maybe it just takes a little more time and we'll eventually have these other restaurants too.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I figured as much as that's generally the case, I deal with a mfg that closes on many holidays as they are Jewish, So i know how that goes, We don't have a Chik-Fil-A here.

Nearest Chick-Fil-A is BGR.  The natural food store (Better Living Center) in Farmington is closed on Saturdays, as it's owned by Seventh Day Adventists.  In BGR, the Bagel Shop (now defunct, sadly, as they made the best bagels I've ever eaten) was Jewish owned and also closed Saturdays.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Christmas creep has actually reversed. It's not as early as it was 10-15 years ago. I always wondered if the big financial crisis of '08 played a role in that.

9 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Chik-Fil-A is quite popular across the south and Midwest. They have all kinds of chains that are nearly non-existent elsewhere from Cracker Barrel to Waffle House and Sonic to name a few. I wonder why these sorts of restaurants aren't around in the big population centers of the east coast? Just like it felt like we were last to finally get Walmart, maybe it just takes a little more time and we'll eventually have these other restaurants too.

Sonic in in CT now-Milford and Wallingford, Chickfilet is also here, Norwalk and Wallingford...it's coming.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Sonic in in CT now-Milford and Wallingford, Chickfilet is also here, Norwalk and Wallingford...it's coming.

The business that chik fil a does in CT is insane. They are always packed. I heard from a friend that the new 2 floor one in Norwalk brings in 6 figures every week in sales. They absolutely destroy every other fast food place in service and I heard they pay employees way more money than other places. 

When Wallingford opened years ago they had cops directing traffic for months after they opened. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, snowman21 said:

Love me some Waffle House

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

Yeah those are the only ones in the state, but it always infuriated me that when watching college football all the commercials were for Sonic and Chik-Fil-A, and we couldn't partake in it because the nearest ones were always in Elkins WV or some place like that.

7 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Yeah those are the only ones in the state, but it always infuriated me that when watching college football all the commercials were for Sonic and Chik-Fil-A, and we couldn't partake in it because the nearest ones were always in Elkins WV or some place like that.

Theres one at Buckland Hills too.

3 hours ago, Tom12309 said:

I should take a pic of the Halloween stuff I saw in the local Home Depot while I was renting their paver saw.  Who buys 30 foot tall plastic ugly crap for their yard?  If you're going big on Halloween have creativity and do it yourself. 

Forky will like this

image.png

image.png

On 9/18/2019 at 11:06 AM, snowman21 said:

Chik Fil A is in NYC and Paramus NJ. They are building one on the NJ/NY border in Ramsey just before the interchange of the NYS Thruway. They are creeping northward like a snow shield moving into single digit dewpoints

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

Chik Fil A is in NYC and Paramus NJ. They are building one on the NJ/NY border in Ramsey just before the interchange of the NYS Thruway. They are creeping northward like a snow shield moving into single digit dewpoints

Maybe it’s just me but, I don’t think it’s that great. Sort of bland. Milkshakes there are good though. 

On 9/18/2019 at 11:06 AM, snowman21 said:

Its mainly due to the cost of doing work in the northeast...unions, cost of construction, rent/ real estate costs, etc.  There is an article somewhere that talks about the chain, Wawa and how the northeast is a costly place ro open stores.  

Sometimes you will see a store like Old Navy or some other crappy chain store opened up in a high rent area of a city. People wonder how they  can afford to stay open. Sometimes that particular location will take one for the team so to speak, barely making ends meet in order to maintain a brand image that people can see and will remember.  Places like fast food are tough, and risky to take a chance on, especially  a place like Chick-Fil-A where they are sticking to their high ground with regard ro being closed on Sunday.  That is a huge loss of business if you are paying  triple  net on your high rent lease. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Cold Miser said:

Its mainly due to the cost of doing work in the northeast...unions, cost of construction, rent/ real estate costs, etc.  There is an article somewhere that talks about the chain, Wawa and how the northeast is a costly place ro open stores.  

Sometimes you will see a store like Old Navy or some other crappy chain store opened up in a high rent area of a city. People wonder how they  can afford to stay open. Sometimes that particular location will take one foe the team so to speak, barely making ends meet in order to maintain a brand image that people can see and will remember.  Places like fast food are tough, and risky to take a chance on, especially  a place like Chick-Fil-A where they are sticking to their high ground with regard ro being closed on Sunday.  That is a huge loss of business if you are paying  triple  net on your high rent lease. 

One at Mohegan was nothing special 

On 9/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, tamarack said:

The Wal Mart in Methuen has had their Christmas items on display for 2 weeks.  And there is a Boston radio station that plays Christmas music 24/7 for 2 months beginning Nov 1.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah our market basket had it out at the beginning of the month. lol

Still waiting for my organic one to show up so I don't get heartburn while drinking it.

Horizon Organic?   A local farm down in Hadley (Mapleline) puts out a phenomenal small batch eggnog in glass bottles every year. 

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Horizon Organic?   A local farm down in Hadley (Mapleline) puts out a phenomenal small batch eggnog in glass bottles every year. 

Yeah I can tolerate that one, but Hannaford carries that and it's usually more expensive than the Organic Valley one at MB. I've made my own before and it was phenomenal using my own eggs and raw cream and milk from Brookford farm. It probably had 100g of fat.

• Haha 3