Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Summer 2019 New England Banter and Disco

CapturedNature

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yeah some people love to bury the root balls under a huge mound of dirt and mulch. I just plant the top level with the ground around it and then mulch it with a little bit of natural wood chips inside the perimeter of the dripline. 

Have you fertilized it this year? I’d probably spread some compost or aged manure around them later next spring. 

In my long-ago and unlamented year as urban forester, I learned that the best planting depth was to have the top of the root ball above the surroundings by about 1/8 the ball's diameter or 2", whichever is greater.  It's especially critical in very heavy soils.

It’s one of the smells of summer to me. I wouldn’t say I “like” it but it does evoke a lot of good memories. 

The smell of DEET brings back memories of good fishing, and of cruising the woods of northern Maine.  EEE hasn't made it to there yet, but when the black flies are so abundant that the ground seems to quiver due to the swarms (and when one needs to stand relatively still for 5-10 minutes while measuring things), bug dope is nearly essential.  And the smell of Old Time Woodsman, which didn't come out of some high-tech lab, is far worse than that of DEET.

32 minutes ago, tamarack said:

In my long-ago and unlamented year as urban forester, I learned that the best planting depth was to have the top of the root ball above the surroundings by about 1/8 the ball's diameter or 2", whichever is greater.  It's especially critical in very heavy soils.

It’s one of the smells of summer to me. I wouldn’t say I “like” it but it does evoke a lot of good memories. 

The smell of DEET brings back memories of good fishing, and of cruising the woods of northern Maine.  EEE hasn't made it to there yet, but when the black flies are so abundant that the ground seems to quiver due to the swarms (and when one needs to stand relatively still for 5-10 minutes while measuring things), bug dope is nearly essential.  And the smell of Old Time Woodsman, which didn't come out of some high-tech lab, is far worse than that of DEET.

Its like liquid tarr, I use to keep one hat to put that on then keep it in the shed when not being used.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Its like liquid tarr, I use to keep one hat to put that on then keep it in the shed when not being used.

I think pine tar is one of the ingredients, along with belladonna and other mysterious and malodorous substances.  At forestry summer camp many years ago a few students used the stuff and the aroma carried half a mile.

13 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I think pine tar is one of the ingredients, along with belladonna and other mysterious and malodorous substances.  At forestry summer camp many years ago a few students used the stuff and the aroma carried half a mile.

Its is pine tarr, And yes, That odor is very distinctive yet was very effective as well as controlling the black flies, Did a lot of brook fishing back in the 70's in the Jackman area and woodsman and cutters was always a part of the supply chain.

With a 35% fatality rate if you contract EEE...I'll take my chances with Deet, and heavy Deet at that!     Just not worth the chance, as there's nothing that can be done if you get EEE other than hope you just end up with some of the not so extreme symptoms.  I have noticed that the mosquitoes have died down quite a bit as of the last week or so.  Just really looking forward to that first freeze. 

3 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

With a 35% fatality rate if you contract EEE...I'll take my chances with Deet, and heavy Deet at that!     Just not worth the chance, as there's nothing that can be done if you get EEE other than hope you just end up with some of the not so extreme symptoms.  I have noticed that the mosquitoes have died down quite a bit as of the last week or so.  Just really looking forward to that first frost. 

It may not come until late December with a hard freeze by early January, and then back to mosquito weather by early March.  You need to always be prepared for such outcomes.  
B)

4 hours ago, dryslot said:

Its is pine tarr, And yes, That odor is very distinctive yet was very effective as well as controlling the black flies, Did a lot of brook fishing back in the 70's in the Jackman area and woodsman and cutters was always a part of the supply chain.

Back in the mid '70s I used Repel, made locally in Orono at the time - 52% DEET.  Only the Army issue (72% IIRC) had more.  On my skin, Cutters was treated as salad dressing by the mosquitos - different skin chemistry, different results.  Folks next to me used Cutters and it worked fine.  Still have not found anything, short of a hazmat suit, that keeps the deerflies off.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I heard 96-98 percent of people don't even know they have it. But for those 2-4% the mortality rate is high. 

There must be some gene, or lack thereof, which makes it deadly for a small percentage. Figure those genes out and then you can get some DNA done and figure out if you're highly susceptible.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There must be some gene, or lack thereof, which makes it deadly for a small percentage. Figure those genes out and then you can get some DNA done and figure out if you're highly susceptible.

Yep. I will say I know DEET isn’t good for you, but I just can’t stand the bugs. I only put it on if it’s bad. 

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The percentage is roughly 1/3 mortality rate for people who develop symptoms, though most carry it never knowing. Maybe a genetic thing, also age immune system strength etc. probably also factor in.

Hey this is a LONG shot but worth mentioning. If anyone is interested, we are looking for a receptionist/real estate assistant for our new location right at the base of the ski resort. Aside from receptionist, the main role is to assist with customer emails, phone calls, answer basic questions about our condos, ordering supplies and a variety of administrative tasks. With time (or if we get a more proficient candidate) would also like to assist with payroll, owner payments and reports, and some basic bookkeeping. We have been growing rapidly (from 5 to just about 40 units in less than 2 years), and the job has a lot of upside potential for the right candidate as we continue to grow. Pay is competitive (start at $15/hr) with 1 week off, fully paid medical and dental, and as a side perk we get $10 lift tickets on weekdays. Weekend work is required. Could be a good opportunity for someone with the right skills/interest looking to move up here and enjoy our weather extremes. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alex said:

Hey this is a LONG shot but worth mentioning. If anyone is interested, we are looking for a receptionist/real estate assistant for our new location right at the base of the ski resort. Aside from receptionist, the main role is to assist with customer emails, phone calls, answer basic questions about our condos, ordering supplies and a variety of administrative tasks. With time (or if we get a more proficient candidate) would also like to assist with payroll, owner payments and reports, and some basic bookkeeping. We have been growing rapidly (from 5 to just about 40 units in less than 2 years), and the job has a lot of upside potential for the right candidate as we continue to grow. Pay is competitive (start at $15/hr) with 1 week off, fully paid medical and dental, and as a side perk we get $10 lift tickets on weekdays. Weekend work is required. Could be a good opportunity for someone with the right skills/interest looking to move up here and enjoy our weather extremes. :)

Diane?? If I was single, I'd do it. LOL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex said:

@#NoPoles

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Diane,   seriously you should consider it.   They are growing so rapidly and Alex is a great guy!  I bet something could be worked out and we need another poster in the NNE group

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I would too. Alex seems like someone I could work for too

Aww you guys are too nice. I actually thought about her - we had chatted before she left but I'm not sure she's interested in moving back up. Diane definitely let me know if interested!

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Any opportunity to get the hell out of there should be top priority. Yay Nashville, we have country bars where you can dance on top of tables. Sounds like an epic draw to me!

A quick look at their top snowfalls says that she must definitely move away soon.

Only 4 of them are double digits and two of those 4 were measured using oxen and knickers so they are probably fake.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

A quick look at their top snowfalls says that she must definitely move away soon.

Only 4 of them are double digits and two of those 4 were measured using oxen and knickers so they are probably fake.

LOL. I know it's a fun place to visit, but Diane is not a HHH person.