• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 New England Banter and Disco

CapturedNature

We have a couple of hillsides around here that are filled with dead oaks.  There's a scattering of them at my parents place.  That's the worst I've seen in this area from the gypsies in my life.

Speaking of dying trees, I have an apple tree that I planted about 12 years ago.  It's never flowered and last month the leaves just started to fall off of it and it's just about nude now.  Any thoughts on what's happened to this tree?  It's always looked healthy, just never flowered and now this.  Not sure if it's a gonner or not but I'll wait for spring.

As if I don't have enough dying trees in my yard, I have a Western Hemlock that I planted over 20 years ago to hedge off the Wolly Adelgid is also showing issues.  The top portion has lost its needles..the bottom looks OK so I'll see what that does too.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

The videos out of the Bahamas are gut wrenching.  The Bahama government is a disaster.  Thankfully an international effort is underway led by the USA.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/09/09/bahamas-survivors-visa-ferry-stranded-cpb/

Edit:  This was a "business decision" by the ferry company.  Still sucks and I will note that there have been bi-partisan calls to waive visa requirements for refugees.  I'm not making a political comment.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mreaves said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/09/09/bahamas-survivors-visa-ferry-stranded-cpb/

Edit:  This was a "business decision" by the ferry company.  Still sucks and I will note that there have been bi-partisan calls to waive visa requirements for refugees.  I'm not making a political comment.

Its mass confusion Bahama Govt is overwhelmed 

5 hours ago, MetHerb said:

We have a couple of hillsides around here that are filled with dead oaks.  There's a scattering of them at my parents place.  That's the worst I've seen in this area from the gypsies in my life.

Speaking of dying trees, I have an apple tree that I planted about 12 years ago.  It's never flowered and last month the leaves just started to fall off of it and it's just about nude now.  Any thoughts on what's happened to this tree?  It's always looked healthy, just never flowered and now this.  Not sure if it's a gonner or not but I'll wait for spring.

As if I don't have enough dying trees in my yard, I have a Western Hemlock that I planted over 20 years ago to hedge off the Wolly Adelgid is also showing issues.  The top portion has lost its needles..the bottom looks OK so I'll see what that does too.

That is strange.  Apples are not super precocious like peaches, but all 3 of mine began flowering before the 6th year after planting.  I'd guess that whatever was keeping that tree from flowering may be the cause of the leaf drop.  An early call on viability might be had by scratching a twig (1/4" or larger preferred) and looking for green under the bark.  If it's all brown, that twig at least is dead.

23 minutes ago, Fozz said:

The EEE outbreak is making me dread every mosquito bite I get.

A friend who works at an emergency room  told me  she has never seen more people concerned about EEE. She said people are showing up at the emergency room after noticing a mosquito bite.  I know a lot of people are concerned in the Merrimack Valley area. Many high schools have changed their outdoor practice and game schedules because of the EEE scare. 

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yeah, I'll stay inside rather then smell like ass from that shit.  

I def don’t like the smell and try not to use it often.  Sometimes you need to though.  They were brutal in May and June. 

They have not been so bad here lately but with the risk of EEE if I was spending much time outside at dusk or dawn I would use Off.  

23 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

My poor maple is one tough SOB. Maybe it's not bugs or disease after all though, the nursery is wondering if the contractor buried it too deep and that's what killed the crown.

Yeah some people love to bury the root balls under a huge mound of dirt and mulch. I just plant the top level with the ground around it and then mulch it with a little bit of natural wood chips inside the perimeter of the dripline. 

Have you fertilized it this year? I’d probably spread some compost or aged manure around them later next spring. 

41 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah some people love to bury the root balls under a huge mound of dirt and mulch. I just plant the top level with the ground around it and then mulch it with a little bit of natural wood chips inside the perimeter of the dripline. 

Have you fertilized it this year? I’d probably spread some compost or aged manure around them later next spring. 

I drove a few of those stakes into the ground around it (per the local nursery) and I planned to throw some compost down when I winterize all my plants in a couple months. Hopefully everything takes off nicely in the spring.

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

A friend who works at an emergency room  told me  she has never seen more people concerned about EEE. She said people are showing up at the emergency room after noticing a mosquito bite.  I know a lot of people are concerned in the Merrimack Valley area. Many high schools have changed their outdoor practice and game schedules because of the EEE scare. 

Yes, a family member is a nurse and said something similar. It also doesn’t help that the symptoms at least initially could be just about anything, so people have a fever and there mind instantly goes to that mosquito bite they got a few days ago.

It definitely makes you think twice about being outside at peak times even though it’s quite rare. The reality is if you get it, the outcomes more than likely aren’t pleasant, even if you survive 

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yeah, I'll stay inside rather then smell like ass from that shit.  

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I def don’t like the smell and try not to use it often.  Sometimes you need to though.  They were brutal in May and June. 

They have not been so bad here lately but with the risk of EEE if I was spending much time outside at dusk or dawn I would use Off.  

It’s one of the smells of summer to me. I wouldn’t say I “like” it but it does evoke a lot of good memories. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yes, a family member is a nurse and said something similar. It also doesn’t help that the symptoms at least initially could be just about anything, so people have a fever and there mind instantly goes to that mosquito bite they got a few days ago.

It definitely makes you think twice about being outside at peak times even though it’s quite rare. The reality is if you get it, the outcomes more than likely aren’t pleasant, even if you survive 

Not much sense  going to the doctor . If you get it you're pretty much toast . 

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Deep Woods Off.      It works

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

It's got me spooked . I work in a hardwood forest eight hours a day  . I've never worn bug spray . I bathe in it now.

Just got myself the Deep Woods Off... I can't take any chances especially since south central Mass and northern RI are some of the highest risk spots.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

You are right to be cautious but just remember, the odds are very low that you will get it.

Apparently only 5% of people who get the virus will actually have EEE... the rest have no symptoms. But since it's so severe for those who have it, I can understand the fear, though I think going to the ER for a mosquito bite is a bit much. So in other words, it's either harmless or crippling and deadly. Not much middle ground it seems.