Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 New England Banter and Disco

CapturedNature

9 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Bring it in for a group hug!

:hurrbear:

Ha.   I also have chestnuts.  I had never had those before though as a kid there were some at my friends house.   We spent long hours throwing them at each other.  Since you didn't need to make them, it was a much more rapid fire war than a snowball fight.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Ha.   I also have chestnuts.  I had never had those before though as a kid there were some at my friends house.   We spent long hours throwing them at each other.  Since you didn't need to make them, it was a much more rapid fire war than a snowball fight.

Lol. We used to go chestnut picking a lot when I was a kid in italy. There are entire forests there of chestnut trees. Prickly but fun 

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Ha, we did the same thing at grammar school, there was a row of chestnuts and we'd throw sticks to knock them down and have chestnut fights, fun times until someone got hit in the eye.

9 minutes ago, alex said:

Lol. We used to go chestnut picking a lot when I was a kid in italy. There are entire forests there of chestnut trees. Prickly but fun 

Fortunately those are blight tolerant. I buy already roasted Italian chestnuts at the store. Yum-o.

I'm pretty confident the American version will make a comeback. If I don't die from these migraines and diverticulitis they should be spreading back through the forests and producing nuts in the next few decades. The blight resistant ones just need the government approval. Gene and I will be waiting. ;)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I believe the bottom ones are the ones we used to collect and throw.  Not sure why we called them horse chestnuts since they weren’t those.   The trees were magnificent 

Most of the trees large enough to produce seeds were wiped out by the mid 20th century. There's still some around today though so maybe they were American. There's Chinese chestnut trees around too which actually brought the blight over from Asia. Even the Concord Agway has 2 Chinese trees leftover for sale right now. I'd rather keep the Chinese genes out of the population though so I'm glad they're just sitting there without a home. lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I believe the bottom ones are the ones we used to collect and throw.  Not sure why we called them horse chestnuts since they weren’t those.   The trees were magnificent 

Not a betting man, but if I were I'd offer 99-to-1 odds they were de-hulled horse chestnuts.  Not only do I have a hard time believing there were any nut-bearing American chestnuts at all, much less enough to supply war materiel, but horse chestnuts look similar and are about 50% bigger.
In NNJ we used red oak acorns, almost the same size as American chestnuts and so abundant in a good year that walking could be a challenge around the oaks.

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not a betting man, but if I were I'd offer 99-to-1 odds they were de-hulled horse chestnuts.  Not only do I have a hard time believing there were any nut-bearing American chestnuts at all, much less enough to supply war materiel, but horse chestnuts look similar and are about 50% bigger.
In NNJ we used red oak acorns, almost the same size as American chestnuts and so abundant in a good year that walking could be a challenge around the oaks.

This is going back 40 years so I have no real clue. 

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Cept you are wrong there Mr dead people obsessed. I totally wanted a hot September for pool and beach. You are about as wrong as you were when you celebrated 9/11 #neverforgetthat

i was right there with the muslims celebrating in jersey city

We have a European chestnut...suck to pick up in Fall. Friend of mine who is a forestry professor had acreage in Maine that was growing a hybrid American- Euro that was blight resistant. We have Ash trees that have been nearly killed by same blight that killed the Elms.

7 minutes ago, Angus said:

We have a European chestnut...suck to pick up in Fall. Friend of mine who is a forestry professor had acreage in Maine that was growing a hybrid American- Euro that was blight resistant. We have Ash trees that have been nearly killed by same blight that killed the Elms.

Dutch elm disease? The big ash killer is the emerald ash borer.

Not New England but close anyways. Just saw a IG post from a skier guy I follow with significant snow accumulation in the Chic Chocs from Dorian. Same guy had even been making turns up there this month prior to that event. Pretty incredible the weather those mountains get only a hop skip and jump to our north.

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yup...although EAB is spreading pretty quickly up here. Most of my ash trees are fairly healthy. There's elm yellows too.

It's tough being a tree today.

My poor maple is one tough SOB. Maybe it's not bugs or disease after all though, the nursery is wondering if the contractor buried it too deep and that's what killed the crown.