Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer 2019 New England Banter and Disco

CapturedNature

On 8/12/2019 at 3:09 PM, OceanStWx said:

Ooo, I want to hear about Amalfi. We're headed there next April after my sister gets married in Florence (which we've seen before). Southern Italy will be all new to us. 

Back in Black!

So we booked a private tour from the Naples Cruise Port.  Driver took us from there down to Sorrento.  Drive was about an hour.  Narrow, windy roads with a few tunnels through the mountains that separate the Pompei valley and Sorrento.  The city there is wonderful.  It sits on a bluff above the Bay about 150',  Old world city that's easy to walk.  We spent about 90 minutes there.  We then drove over the mountains to the Amalfi coast and along the coastal road and stopped in Positano.

https://www.google.com/search?q=positano&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI1bzpqKPkAhUE01kKHQEsDG4Q_AUIESgB&biw=1920&bih=969

The city is built from the ocean up on the steep hillside with houses on top of houses.  The roads are one way with pedestrians everywhere.  Glad I did not drive,  The views are spectacular.  The city is a hotspot for the wealthy.  After we spent some time walking the path to the beach we had lunch at a great spot.

http://www.mediterraneopositano.com/index.html

Gnocchi was to die for.  Also they gave us a complimentary shot of Limoncello before we left (my 16 yr old too!)

After eating we drove back the same way we came and headed over to do a private tour of Pompeii that lasted a couple hours before we headed back to the cruise  ship.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Youtube is good if you like sports and cable channels as well.  It doesn't have NFL Redzone or the NFL Network but you can watch those OTA if you just follow one local team.  If you want those in addition to what YouTube TV has, Fubo TV has those channels for $55/mo.

Yeah, Redzone and the NFL Network are about the only things missing for me.  Youtube is supposed to be adding local PBS stations this year, but we can get those now with the antenna and most of the content is on the PBS app on our Roku stick.  I also pay for the NBC Sports Soccer add on, but I think it is only $50 a year and well worth it!  Glad we cut the cord.  Dumped the land line at the same time.

12 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Back in Black!

So we booked a private tour from the Naples Cruise Port.  Driver took us from there down to Sorrento.  Drive was about an hour.  Narrow, windy roads with a few tunnels through the mountains that separate the Pompei valley and Sorrento.  The city there is wonderful.  It sits on a bluff above the Bay about 150',  Old world city that's easy to walk.  We spent about 90 minutes there.  We then drove over the mountains to the Amalfi coast and along the coastal road and stopped in Positano.

https://www.google.com/search?q=positano&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI1bzpqKPkAhUE01kKHQEsDG4Q_AUIESgB&biw=1920&bih=969

The city is built from the ocean up on the steep hillside with houses on top of houses.  The roads are one way with pedestrians everywhere.  Glad I did not drive,  The views are spectacular.  The city is a hotspot for the wealthy.  After we spent some time walking the path to the beach we had lunch at a great spot.

http://www.mediterraneopositano.com/index.html

Gnocchi was to die for.  Also they gave us a complimentary shot of Limoncello before we left (my 16 yr old too!)

After eating we drove back the same way we came and headed over to do a private tour of Pompeii that lasted a couple hours before we headed back to the cruise  ship.

Great, my people. 

So far all I know we’ll be doing is spending about a week in Florence centered around my sister’s wedding, and then head to Ambra (near Siena) for a couple nights to detox. Then we are off to Amalfi. I could see us renting a place outside the towns and popping in to each there over the next we days.

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Great, my people. 

So far all I know we’ll be doing is spending about a week in Florence centered around my sister’s wedding, and then head to Ambra (near Siena) for a couple nights to detox. Then we are off to Amalfi. I could see us renting a place outside the towns and popping in to each there over the next we days.

Looks like Siena is ~1/2 way between Rome and Florence.  Nice rural wine/olive country.  Lifestyles of the rich and famous there too.  Florence was a great day trip too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Anyone using indoor antenna for digital TV? Cable is nuts, looking to get out

If you have Comcast call them and tell them you want to know about how to cancel the service.  They will begin to offer you discounts to stay. If not ask for the customer retention dept.  They are charged with retaining customers so they most certainly will offer you discounts to remain a customer. My wife called a couple of weeks ago and the offer was a $20 reduction per month in cost plus free Netflix.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Take a look at tvfool.com  It will tell you what signals reach your house and that will determine what you can use.  Some people can use indoor antennas others not so much.  With an outdoor antenna you can get so many more channels/markets.  I cut the cord over a decade ago and haven't looked back.  I'd be glad to help if you need advice.

Here's a generic look at what can be received in Moosup:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038db977e85b5

You can specify your address for a more accurate report.  You should be able to receive anything over +10dB with an indoor antenna and you'd be able to receive anything over about -15dB with a decent amplified outdoor antenna.  It looks like you'd be able to receive Hartford, Providence and Boston channels.

Awesome thanks so much

Checked it out for my ZIP near CEF. On the list was ABC 7 from NYC. That's a stretch even for HFD though i may have been reading it wrong.
We just bought a new outdoor antennae and believe it or not , I can pull in a couple Boston channels, one being whdh. TV fool says tower is 125mi away. Antenna is non amplified and rated for 70 mi. Being up on a hill helps but I'm surprised we can pull that station

10 hours ago, Lava Rock said:
11 hours ago, scoob40 said:
Checked it out for my ZIP near CEF. On the list was ABC 7 from NYC. That's a stretch even for HFD though i may have been reading it wrong.

We just bought a new outdoor antennae and believe it or not , I can pull in a couple Boston channels, one being whdh. TV fool says tower is 125mi away. Antenna is non amplified and rated for 70 mi. Being up on a hill helps but I'm surprised we can pull that station

Shit when I was a kid we had only an outdoor antenna and we picked up WPIX in NYC and watched Yankee games. About as far away as Boston from you.  Lol going up on the roof to adjust the antenna while Dad yelled a little to the left, your other left, was always fun.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, scoob40 said:

It's on the list but it shows the expected signal strength at over -21dB and the path is Tropo.  That means conditions would have to be perfect and you'd need some special equipment and even then it might only come in for a little while and not strong enough to be watchable.  I think it lists any signal that reaches your destination.

You need about a -10dB signal at your tuner to be usable.  An antenna will have gain which is why you can pick up a signal that has a strength around 0dB.  Like I mentioned, you can also get signals around -17dB with an amplified antenna because it will boost the antenna's gain making it around 8-10dB at the tuner and usable.

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

It's on the list but it shows the expected signal strength at over -21dB and the path is Tropo.  That means conditions would have to be perfect and you'd need some special equipment and even then it might only come in for a little while and not strong enough to be watchable.  I think it lists any signal that reaches your destination.

You need about a -10dB signal at your tuner to be usable.  An antenna will have gain which is why you can pick up a signal that has a strength around 0dB.  Like I mentioned, you can also get signals around -17dB with an amplified antenna because it will boost the antenna's gain making it around 8-10dB at the tuner and usable.

Thanks for the advice on it. I may be going down that road myself in a bit. It probably will depend on what the streaming option's are and their cost in the near future.

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

EEE risk this year is off the charts.  Estimates are as high as 4 times as many mosquito have tested positive for for it.  One of the worst years in the last several decades.

That's some scary shit. My uncle's mother contracted it years ago. Was a vegetable for about a year before she finally passed. 

17 hours ago, Lava Rock said:
17 hours ago, scoob40 said:

For sure, as we live in a hollow - good for radiational cooling but crummy for TV.  Previous owner had installed a large antenna at the ridgeline of our steep roof, about 20 different elements at least 25' above ground and with a rotator to align things best.  Never got Boston but had no problems with PWM and BGR channels.  Then came hi-def. We got the "box" all hooked up and got PBS - sometimes - and otherwise just snow/static.  We went for satellite (DirecTV) and waited until June to ask the tech to evaluate which trees needed to disappear if we wanted consistent reception.  Got about 60% of that winter's firewood from the ones he flagged.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

EEE risk this year is off the charts.  Estimates are as high as 4 times as many mosquito have tested positive for for it.  One of the worst years in the last several decades.

Looks like 4 confirmed human cases so far.

They were spraying right overhead last week. Live right on the Hock 

I’m not a fan of the aerial spraying of anvil 10-10. A few people got EEE...it sucks. But people die in car accidents everyday. People get cancer. People get other ailments...some self inflicted like diet. This stuff is killing more than mosquitoes. It’s probably killing beneficial insects including bees too. Yeah, it has a short half life, but who knows what the long term effects of spraying it everywhere through the air is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I’m not a fan of the aerial spraying of anvil 10-10. A few people got EEE...it sucks. But people die in car accidents everyday. People get cancer. People get other ailments...some self inflicted like diet. This stuff is killing more than mosquitoes. It’s probably killing beneficial insects including bees too. Yeah, it has a short half life, but who knows what the long term effects of spraying it everywhere through the air is.

5701d08961526.image.jpg