Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 New England Banter and Disco

CapturedNature

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

So you like the Hankooks? I'm looking for something all-season and keep bouncing between the less expensive Firestone LE 2 and the pricier Michelin Defender LTX M/S. The truck is an 09 and pushing 180k so maybe the more expensive tire isn't even worth it.

Less than 10K miles so the jury is still out, but doing fine so far.  Ran Coopers before and hey did OK as well.

Take a look at Tire Rack to see if you can find a tire there.  I usually buy my tires there because they have a local warehouse and pick them up and have my local garage install them.  Much cheaper than a tire store.  I noticed that they have free shipping right now.  I run two sets of tires - one for summer and studded/snow tires in winter.  It forces me to rotate my tires and you really notice the extra traction in winter, even with AWD/FWD.

So I may have a large nest of honeybees in a crevasse within a rock outcrop in my yard. Originally I thought it was yellow jackets given where they were nesting, but looks like honey bees can do that as well. I didn’t want to get too close when I was watering, but will check again. I soaked the nest and wonder if they went somewhere else, will check later on. If it is honeybees and they are still there, will try and call someone. Don’t want to kill them obviously. They do look smaller than yellow jackets.

On 8/17/2019 at 12:19 PM, dendrite said:

So you like the Hankooks? I'm looking for something all-season and keep bouncing between the less expensive Firestone LE 2 and the pricier Michelin Defender LTX M/S. The truck is an 09 and pushing 180k so maybe the more expensive tire isn't even worth it.

Go with the Michelin’s. The Defender LTX is the best tire I ever bought for my truck, and it’s not even close. Very quiet, great in crappy road conditions. Sure they aren’t cheap, but worth the extra coin

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

Go with the Michelin’s. The Defender LTX is the best tire I ever bought for my truck, and it’s not even close. Very quiet, great in crappy road conditions. Sure they aren’t cheap, but worth the extra coin

Given my experience with Rangers/Mazdas and rust, I wouldn't pay for 70K tires to put on a 10-yr-old 180K truck.  At least not before having a trusted mechanic tell me there's absolutely none.  125K on the current Ranger and just a teeny bit of body rust, but both the 1992 Ranger and 2004 Mazda had serious rust issues once past 150K, the latter compromising the rear part of the frame.

23 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

So I may have a large nest of honeybees in a crevasse within a rock outcrop in my yard. Originally I thought it was yellow jackets given where they were nesting, but looks like honey bees can do that as well. I didn’t want to get too close when I was watering, but will check again. I soaked the nest and wonder if they went somewhere else, will check later on. If it is honeybees and they are still there, will try and call someone. Don’t want to kill them obviously. They do look smaller than yellow jackets.

Just let em stay. They won’t sting 

49 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Given my experience with Rangers/Mazdas and rust, I wouldn't pay for 70K tires to put on a 10-yr-old 180K truck.  At least not before having a trusted mechanic tell me there's absolutely none.  125K on the current Ranger and just a teeny bit of body rust, but both the 1992 Ranger and 2004 Mazda had serious rust issues once past 150K, the latter compromising the rear part of the frame.

15 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

Haven't really decided what I'll do yet. I was letting the websites decide my tire size and it was consistently 255/70R16, but when I went out there I didn't even realize I only had the 15" wheels :axe: . So the the 235/75R15 Michelins are only $140/tire versus the $127 Firestones. The 255s were $180 versus $139. So I'll probably go with the best winter all-weather highway tire and not worry about the $50 difference unless I decide the Firestones aren't much different form the Michelins. It's hard to make out much from online reviews.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Haven't really decided what I'll do yet. I was letting the websites decide my tire size and it was consistently 255/70R16, but when I went out there I didn't even realize I only had the 15" wheels :axe: . So the the 235/75R15 Michelins are only $140/tire versus the $127 Firestones. The 255s were $180 versus $139. So I'll probably go with the best winter all-weather highway tire and not worry about the $50 difference unless I decide the Firestones aren't much different form the Michelins. It's hard to make out much from online reviews.

You'd be very fortunate to wear out either the Michelins or Firestones, but for $13 a pop I think the Michelins would be worth it - ride/turn/stop probably better by enough to matter.  Surprised the prices were that close.

On 8/17/2019 at 6:15 AM, dendrite said:

Anyone have any recommendations on tires for a small truck (Ranger)? The Wild Country ones I got a couple of years ago were a disappointment. I probably could’ve rotated the tires more than I did, but one is completely bald and another has been leaking air through the valve stem. I do a good amount of highway driving, but they only made it 2 years. 

I have always gone Cooper or Kelleys, BF Goodrich would be my third choice and i have owned nothing but trucks and SUV's.

14 hours ago, alex said:

Great sunset in Bar Harbor tonight 

5EEE8D20-7156-45C6-A0D3-A67166643BD5.jpeg

Gorgeous.  Wish I'd had my camera driving home yesterday - looking NW there was Mt. Blue sharply (thanks to the drier air) silhouetted against the sunset glow with swirling multi-colored clouds above.  I was barely a mile from home but knew that grabbing camera and returning would see the best long gone.

21 hours ago, dryslot said:

I have always gone Cooper or Kelleys, BF Goodrich would be my third choice and i have owned nothing but trucks and SUV's.

I have BFG All terrain KOs on my truck. Awesome in snow.  Terrible driving around on highways.  Loud and mileage is awful. 

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

I have BFG All terrain KOs on my truck. Awesome in snow.  Terrible driving around on highways.  Loud and mileage is awful. 

That’s why I stick with the cooper’s, They have an aggressive tread design but not loud and bad on mileage.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 7:55 PM, SJonesWX said:

Michelin LTX is incredible. 

Many people falsely blame poor tire performance with poor driver performance.

Cooper has been alright to me as well.

Most should adjust driving habits and not, tires ;)

On 8/18/2019 at 11:14 AM, CoastalWx said:

Put a little honey on your ding ding and stick it in the nest, you will get your answer.

This is insane from a lightning storm... holy shit at 150 people injured via lightning.  Sounds like it hit a metal cross at the top of the peak and traveled down the handrails and chains hikers use to pull themselves up the mountain.

WARSAW, Poland (AP) — A Polish emergency official on Friday likened the deadly lightning storm over the Tatra Mountains that killed at least five people and injured more than 150 to a terror attack in terms of the number of casualties and some of the wounds.

Survivors described horrific scenes in which climbers were blown off slopes, suffered severe trauma injuries after being hit by rocks or couldn't move in the initial aftermath of multiple lightning strikes that hit the Giewont peak and other locations in the Tatras on Thursday.

"This is a situation that can be compared to a terrorist attack," Krzysztof said. "A large group of random people has been hit. Many people, including children. Burnt, with broken legs, wounds all over their bodies."

Mariusz Brodzinski, who was on his first trip to the Tatras with his wife, said he saw a young woman who was walking in front of his wife on the Giewont mountain suddenly fall off the slope after lightning struck the metal chains they were holding on to.

"This woman is dead," Brodzinski told Polish broadcaster TVN24. "My wife slid and suffered a fractured pelvis and injured head. I have a burnt foot. It felt like it was scorching."

He said that for 15 minutes after the strike his hands felt numb and he had no strength to get to his wife. It was over an hour before the first helicopter came, he said.

Officials said the lightning storm killed four people in Poland, including two children, aged 10 and 14, and two women, and a Czech tourist in neighboring Slovakia. Polish tabloid Fakt reported that the children were brother and sister.

In addition, more than 150 people caught in the storm were treated for burns, fractures and heart problems at the hospital in Zakopane. Officials said 34 people remained hospitalized Friday in Zakopane, Krakow and other locations.

Among them were three teenagers aged between 11 and 16 who suffered serious burns. 

On 8/23/2019 at 4:56 PM, powderfreak said:

This is insane from a lightning storm... holy shit at 150 people injured via lightning.  Sounds like it hit a metal cross at the top of the peak and traveled down the handrails and chains hikers use to pull themselves up the mountain.

Absolutely nuts. Made me think about the stairs at K. 

11 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Anyone using indoor antenna for digital TV? Cable is nuts, looking to get out

We have a digital antenna for backup, but last year we dumped cable for youtube tv for $45 a month.  Think it is $50 now.  Tons of channels.  Lots of other streaming options out there as well.  We are very happy with it!

11 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Anyone using indoor antenna for digital TV? Cable is nuts, looking to get out

Take a look at tvfool.com  It will tell you what signals reach your house and that will determine what you can use.  Some people can use indoor antennas others not so much.  With an outdoor antenna you can get so many more channels/markets.  I cut the cord over a decade ago and haven't looked back.  I'd be glad to help if you need advice.

Here's a generic look at what can be received in Moosup:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038db977e85b5

You can specify your address for a more accurate report.  You should be able to receive anything over +10dB with an indoor antenna and you'd be able to receive anything over about -15dB with a decent amplified outdoor antenna.  It looks like you'd be able to receive Hartford, Providence and Boston channels.

3 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

We have a digital antenna for backup, but last year we dumped cable for youtube tv for $45 a month.  Think it is $50 now.  Tons of channels.  Lots of other streaming options out there as well.  We are very happy with it!

Youtube is good if you like sports and cable channels as well.  It doesn't have NFL Redzone or the NFL Network but you can watch those OTA if you just follow one local team.  If you want those in addition to what YouTube TV has, Fubo TV has those channels for $55/mo.