• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 New England Banter and Disco

CapturedNature

Meh... some years ... months are different - shocking revelation!     June last year has zero bearing on June this year.  If anyone has a modicum of philosophical awareness, it may occur to them that the comparison really has equal value to that:  Zero. It's tantamount to saying June last year is not June this year - right...got it.  Thanks. 

We had a temperate June ... yay.  While most of us in here discussed that as a very likely plausibility ... back at the end of May (btw), I guess now we are stunned that June was banal for heat?  I guess..  

Going forward, July very likely will start above normal.  How much exactly remains to be seen... But, I could see the first 1/4 of the month finishing solidly above.  

I was just reading about that crazy hail storm in Guadalajara Mexico yesterday.  The NBC story that I just read said that more than 3 feet of hail fell.  I don't believe that for a second,  I'm sure that low lying areas where water pooled the hail was over 3 feet not a general 3 foot hail coverage.  Never the less very impressive.  The city is at 5000 in elevation  which helps.  We never have deep hail here in New England as they do out in the plains.  I'm sure elevation helps in that regard.

Here is link with some very impressive pictures to the hail story.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/summer-hail-storm-guadalajara-mexico-buries-cars-damages-houses-n1025321?cid=public-rss_20190701

21 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I was just reading about that crazy hail storm in Guadalajara Mexico yesterday.  The NBC story that I just read said that more than 3 feet of hail fell.  I don't believe that for a second,  I'm sure that low lying areas where water pooled the hail was over 3 feet not a general 3 foot hail coverage.  Never the less very impressive.  The city is at 5000 in elevation  which helps.  We never have deep hail here in New England as they do out in the plains.  I'm sure elevation helps in that regard.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/summer-hail-storm-guadalajara-mexico-buries-cars-damages-houses-n1025321?cid=public-rss_20190701

hail-mexico-police-gty-ps-190701_hpEmbed_23x15_1600.jpg

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

There was an event - I wish I could remember when - that they had to bring out plows in parts of Holyoke, MA.  It's pretty rare but that's the one event I can remember, at least in New England.

That's some impressive stuff though in Mexico!

23 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

There was an event - I wish I could remember when - that they had to bring out plows in parts of Holyoke, MA.  It's pretty rare but that's the one event I can remember, at least in New England.

That's some impressive stuff though in Mexico!

Looking at some of the Mexico pictures it looks like the kids were having fun.  They probably get some hail from time to time but many have never seen frozen.  About 10 years ago we had some visitors from Miami that came up around Thanksgiving.  The 3 kids had never seen snow.  Ground was bare but it started snowing.  Lightly at first but then big wet parachutes that gave us an inch or two.  Watching those kids was priceless.  They were excited to see the first flakes but then with parachutes they were in awe.  Fun stuff!

8 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Looking at some of the Mexico pictures it looks like the kids were having fun.  They probably get some hail from time to time but many have never seen frozen.  About 10 years ago we had some visitors from Miami that came up around Thanksgiving.  The 3 kids had never seen snow.  Ground was bare but it started snowing.  Lightly at first but then big wet parachutes that gave us an inch or two.  Watching those kids was priceless.  They were excited to see the first flakes but then with parachutes they were in awe.  Fun stuff!

My junior year at Lyndon there was a transfer student from Sunrise, FL (just outside of Fort Lauderdale).  He had only seen snow once (late 70s) and that was falling.  He specifically chose Lyndon because he wanted to experience winter.  This kids response to everything was so funny.  I remember the first night we had frost he came bursting in and said that everyone had to go outside that everything was covered with a dust that sparkled.  Then when it snowed, I remember his first reaction to touching it - he said that it was colder than he thought it was.  He thought it would be cottony and feel like air.

There's nothing like an outsiders perspective on something!

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

My junior year at Lyndon there was a transfer student from Sunrise, FL (just outside of Fort Lauderdale).  He had only seen snow once (late 70s) and that was falling.  He specifically chose Lyndon because he wanted to experience winter.  This kids response to everything was so funny.  I remember the first night we had frost he came bursting in and said that everyone had to go outside that everything was covered with a dust that sparkled.  Then when it snowed, I remember his first reaction to touching it - he said that it was colder than he thought it was.  He thought it would be cottony and feel like air.

There's nothing like an outsiders perspective on something!

lol

Did he graduate?