• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 29-30 2019 Thunderstorms

Torch Tiger

So just getting back inside after a great afternoon . Around 230 watched mammatus type development overhead and then heard thunder. Brought in all the  deck stuff and dropped the umbrellas, watched a tower explode, had constant thunder and lightning a brief period of small hail and heavy rain. That cell had excellent up drafts and went on to create, quarter size hail in Cory’s hood. Cool storm 

EB023846-A248-44E2-AC53-388E487471B8.jpeg

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

You were right there on Seekonk?

Yeah. The storm that passed over Providence moved south of me. Got some rain and a little wind but no lightning and only a bit of thunder. Thats how things usually happen for me. The storms either break up before reaching me (only to re-form to my east) or pass me completely.

Hi! I totally missed this thread yesterday and I hope I can be forgiven for that.

So I was in the storm that was  in the video in Cumberland RI (I was in Lincoln RI). I have a meteorological question about  what I experienced today. 

The cell that affected my area had been tracking to the south of me - it should have passed to  my  south. However, it broke into two parts. The part that hit my  area actually moved towards  the east northeast, when the prevailing direction of the front was moving towards the east southeast. I didn't anticipate that, so I was late getting to a place to watch it (thunder allerted me - then I checked radar and saw what had happened). By the time I could see outside, I saw some pretty good  winds going, but no precipitation. I could still hear thunder. But my question relates to this next observation: it began to hail before it  began to rain. 

I've  tried to search online to see if this is where  the hail normally is in a storm (in front of the rain), but I haven't been able to find anything specifically about the location of hail in a side-view of a thunderstorm. I found one image that showed a tornado in front of the rain, however.

Can anyone let me know if this is normal?

Although  we did not have the same  size (consistently) of hail as the video  from Cumberland, I did find one quarter-sized hail stone (it is in my freezer, lol). It is amazing what a big difference a small distance can make in these  storms. I was maybe a mile from the Cumberland line as the bird flies - possibly less.

Any education that somenoe can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

13 minutes ago, LikesNaturesFury said:

Hi! I totally missed this thread yesterday and I hope I can be forgiven for that.

So I was in the storm that was  in the video in Cumberland RI (I was in Lincoln RI). I have a meteorological question about  whatr I experienced today. 

The cell that affected my area had been tracking to the south of me - it should have passed to  my  south. However, it broke into two parts. The part that hit my  area actually moved towards  the east northeast, when the prevailing direction of the front was moving towards the east southeast. I didn't anticipate that, so I was late getting to a place to watch it (thunder allerted me - then I checked radar and saw what had happened). By the time I could see outside, I saw some pretty good  winds going, but no precipitation. I could still hear thunder. But my question relates to this next observation: it began to hail before it  began to rain. 

I've  tried to search online to see if this is where  the hail normally is in a storm (in front of the rain), but I haven't been able to find anything specifically about the location of hail in a side-view of a thunderstorm. I found one image that showed a tornado in front of the rain, however.

Can anyone let me know if this is normal?

Although  we did not have the same  size (consistently) of hail as the video  from Cumberland, I did find one quarter-sized hail stone (it is in my freezer, lol). It is amazing what a big difference a small distance can make in these  storms. I was maybe a mile from the Cumberland line as the bird flies - possibly less.

Any education that somenoe can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

It was a splitting supercell. Hodographs were fairly straight to begin with (storms tend to split with a right mover and a left mover). Typically our winds in the northern hemisphere favor right movers, but the hodographs actually had a slight cyclonic curvature. This actually favors the left moving supercell a little. So the storm that broke NE was the left mover.

Based on overall shear/storm relative winds precip would be carried ESE out of the updraft. So the left mover would actually be moving into clear air, whereas the right mover was moving into the area just hit by its own forward flank.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It was a splitting supercell. Hodographs were fairly straight to begin with (storms tend to split with a right mover and a left mover). Typically our winds in the northern hemisphere favor right movers, but the hodographs actually had a slight cyclonic curvature. This actually favors the left moving supercell a little. So the storm that broke NE was the left mover.

Based on overall shear/storm relative winds precip would be carried ESE out of the updraft. So the left mover would actually be moving into clear air, whereas the right mover was moving into the area just hit by its own forward flank.

Thank your for explaining how the storm broke into two and how I was able to enjoy it when I was sure it would pass  to my south! 

Does the fact that it was moving into "clear air" have an affect on the fact that it started to hail prior to  rain? Please forgive my ignorance.

Oh, I also found a video on YouTube which seems to show that a tornado should occur in the rear of the storm, not in the front, if I understood it properly.