• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 29-30 2019 Thunderstorms

Torch Tiger

About 40 min ago, leaving Boston on 93 N hit deluge that even the fastest wipers couldn't keep up, with hail mixed into the rain.  Mostly rain but there were enough smacks to get your attention thru the Fellsway and North area.  Leftmost passing lane was mostly flooded for the length up until Stoneham. 

It was just like that ..but it was bright enough to be visible on the sun side of a back lit CB ... I ran for the phone but ... alas the flaring had ceased by the time I snapped this image off - The yellow arrow is the approx region where it was flaring off the top of the lower turret near the interface where it gets lost punching into the top region.  It followed theoretical behavior to a tee...it was glowing in there, then there was bolt of what looked like it might have been cloud-to-air and that seemed to trigger the flare to morph ... it did that a couple of times, too before the whole thing stopped.  This guy was putting out distant booms as it was moving away toward the east, and it was warned on the N side of Boston... Wow- today was hugely worth the analysis in my book jesus christ.

image.png.a756c49f99fbd5eb11122138817f4643.png

About to get smoked.

This thing just exploded over Mansfield while walking the dog... I've never seen it go from full sun to a shooting tower so fast.

Lamoille VT-Chittenden VT-Washington VT-
746 PM EDT Sat Jun 29 2019

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 830 PM EDT
FOR SOUTHWESTERN LAMOILLE...EAST CENTRAL CHITTENDEN AND NORTHERN
WASHINGTON COUNTIES...

At 745 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over Smugglers
Notch and North Underhill, moving southeast at 30 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Minor hail damage to vehicles is possible. Expect wind
         damage to trees and powerlines.

Locations impacted include...
Calais, Underhill, Stowe, Jericho Village, Underhill State Park,
Worcester, Marshfield Village, Jericho, Waterbury, East Montpelier,
Middlesex, Marshfield, Woodbury, Cabot, Plainfield, Elmore,
Morristown, Essex, Bolton and Cambridge.

The lightning is ridiculous.  Very close strikes.  File this under "that escalated quickly" category from sunshine to very dark sky and torrential rain.

But that exploded to a Warned cell in about 3 scans of the radar... from nothing to huge towers as it ran into the mountain.

Good benefit of being immediately downwind of VT's highest peak is the thunderstorms that blow up over it drift down over town.  Decent terrain component to today's storms that have been seemingly skipping over the Champlain Valley.

gQPE8Px.gif

• Like 1

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Pouring in west bethel right now. Managed to get off mountain before threat of lift shut down.

Yeah, Some embedded strong cells where you are, That whole line is pushing SE, I’ll see if it holds for here once it gets out of the foothills.