Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Mid Atlantic Lawn, Garden, Pool, etc. Thread

Eskimo Joe

10 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

This evenings storm blew over my very full plum tomato plant. The roots were still intact and the stem didn't snap, so I pulled the whole cage back up and maybe it'll survive.

You should be good. Tomatoes are surprisingly tough plants, so with with root system intact they'll snap right back. A couple years ago, I had a hornworm eat through 90% of the stalk on a huge Amish Paste plant. I duct-taped a strip of old t-shirt around the wound and to try to keep moisture in and moving up the stem. I didn't really expect it to work, but the plant continues producing as if nothing had ever happened to it.

HOWEVER...this year I have a squirrel who refuses to take the hint that it's not wanted. Doesn't care about my dog, does care some when I put cayenne down, but it returns as soon as the cayenne gets washed away. This is the first time I've dealt with a persistent squirrel in my tomatoes, and I'm fantasizing about putting it six feet under. Honestly...if I lived out in the country I'd have purchased an air rifle by now to off this thing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mattie g said:

HOWEVER...this year I have a squirrel who refuses to take the hint that it's not wanted. Doesn't care about my dog, does care some when I put cayenne down, but it returns as soon as the cayenne gets washed away. This is the first time I've dealt with a persistent squirrel in my tomatoes, and I'm fantasizing about putting it six feet under. Honestly...if I lived out in the country I'd have purchased an air rifle by now to off this thing.

Had one that wouldn't stop chewing on the hummingbird feeder. Trapped it in a live trap and released it across the river. (And warned it about my 3 strike policy). That's all it took. We have many squirrels here, but only that one psycho case ever bothered the feeder. They're not all alike.

16 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Had one that wouldn't stop chewing on the hummingbird feeder. Trapped it in a live trap and released it across the river. (And warned it about my 3 strike policy). That's all it took. We have many squirrels here, but only that one psycho case ever bothered the feeder. They're not all alike.

Not a bad idea. Better than killing the (poor?) thing, i guess!

6 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Looking ahead... When is a good time to transplant an Alberta Spruce in this region? I’m thinking around November? I moved a Weeping Cherry last year in January and it turned out fine, but since the spruce never goes dormant idk if winter is appropriate.

Either late fall after the other trees go dormant or early spring after the ground thaws but before the tree wakes up is what I have been told over the years. 

But really any time the ground isn't too hard to dig in the winter is fine too. 

• Thanks 1

How many people have decided to install Zoysia grass? I learned from some people in NC that Zoysia grass is great for drought-prone areas. Our area is not necessarily known for droughts, but I think it would be nice to have when we get these hot dry spells that last for a few weeks that turns regular fescue brown. I hear Zoysia maintains it's color. 

Now, I have an established tall fescue lawn, if I started Zoysia seeding this fall, I'm assuming it will take a few years before the Zoysia grass takes over? Or would I need to dig up my current lawn and start fresh with Zoysia? 

Zoysia.
We have established it on a sunny, south facing slope. Wish we had started it asap, before fooling with the usual fescues, etc. Nothing else thrives in that environment without irrigation of some sort.
Problem is that it takes long to establish unless you pay an arm and a leg for sod. Most have success with plugs, which is what we did. Purchased from a local nursery. Once established, it is hard to kill, and pushes out most weeds. Less fertilizing, less mowing, less weedicide.

My son is a home builder in central NC, and he installs many zoysia lawns. But, there are other hybrids that they can choose from down there. We are limited here, but if you have sunshine, I really recommend it.

ETA: On the planting schedule you mentioned...I think you are supposed to plant it in the spring/summer, not fall. Opposite of cool season grasses like fescue. Zoysia is a warm season grass. Hence, it's not used much north of PA.

1 hour ago, adelphi_sky said:

How many people have decided to install Zoysia grass? I learned from some people in NC that Zoysia grass is great for drought-prone areas. Our area is not necessarily known for droughts, but I think it would be nice to have when we get these hot dry spells that last for a few weeks that turns regular fescue brown. I hear Zoysia maintains it's color. 

Now, I have an established tall fescue lawn, if I started Zoysia seeding this fall, I'm assuming it will take a few years before the Zoysia grass takes over? Or would I need to dig up my current lawn and start fresh with Zoysia? 

Zoysia is fantastic in the summer, but it goes dormant (brown) in the winter and takes quite a while to green up in the Spring.  If you are ok with that, it is great for full sun areas.  And it is so nice and lush.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Gardened for most of the day Sunday and got Rue Rash....far worse than poison ivy.  Blerg it burns and doctor has nothing for it except to let it run its course for about 10 days.

Huh, hope that heals quickly.

Chasing swallowtails with the Rue or using it as a herb?

7 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Gardened for most of the day Sunday and got Rue Rash....far worse than poison ivy.  Blerg it burns and doctor has nothing for it except to let it run its course for about 10 days.

Never heard of it - so I had to look it up....... fascinating read here volitile oils reacting with sunlight.  Feel better .  

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/homeowners/090611.html

21 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Chasing swallotails...RIP my right arm.  

Very cool. Oldest child was intrigued when she saw me planting dill, parsley, and fennel. Along with the rue. Wanted to know if I was growing an herb garden. Told her yes, but not for us. ;)

12 hours ago, FXW176 said:

Very cool. Oldest child was intrigued when she saw me planting dill, parsley, and fennel. Along with the rue. Wanted to know if I was growing an herb garden. Told her yes, but not for us. ;)

Why can't you put this much effort into saving the whales?  Butterflies.....pfffffffft

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 7:30 AM, H2O said:

Why can't you put this much effort into saving the whales?  Butterflies.....pfffffffft

Fairy certain you have a vested interest in my water consumption. I’ll stick with the butterflies for now.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:11 AM, biodhokie said:

He's saving bees, cut him some slack :P

Bees are cool, no prob with ‘em. But if I find the predator that’s eating my future cats he/she is toast.

1A6B8015-E90D-4F3C-8B90-7B1C93C904B3.jpeg

On 7/24/2019 at 6:48 PM, FXW176 said:

I've been thinking of adding dill, fennel and parsley to my butterfly garden for black swallowtails but haven't tried it yet.  I get lots of Monarch caterpillars with the tropical milkweed, and all kinds of butterflies nectar on that stuff.  Hummingbirds love it too.

Have you seen any black swallowtail caterpillars on the herbs?

image.png.1c6c190ea08dc435eee9e274e37fd6bf.png

• Like 3

On 7/31/2019 at 10:23 AM, BlizzardNole said:

I've been thinking of adding dill, fennel and parsley to my butterfly garden for black swallowtails but haven't tried it yet.  I get lots of Monarch caterpillars with the tropical milkweed, and all kinds of butterflies nectar on that stuff.  Hummingbirds love it too.

Have you seen any black swallowtail caterpillars on the herbs?

image.png.1c6c190ea08dc435eee9e274e37fd6bf.png

Unfortunately, haven’t seen, found, or heard one yet. And I’ve been looking. Prob too much. ;)  

Your garden is gorgeous. Thinking about adding a potted wild cherry and maybe a spicebush here in the fall. Want to diversify a bit and up my chances to catch a few other critters.

Have three monarch chrysalis on my back porch right now. Will try and remember to send a pic of my main milkweed garden I planted earlier this summer. The three cats I had were ahead of my regular schedule. Pentas ftw.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Pumpkins finally showing up on my vines.  ProTip: if you're trying to grow squash, melons or pumpkins and only getting male flowers, it is likely due to stress.  Feed your plants a high potash formula for 2 weeks and you'll see female flowers pretty quickly.  

Just starting to see pumpkins now? Did you plant late or is this where your handy tip comes into play? :lol: