• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Mid Atlantic Lawn, Garden, Pool, etc. Thread

Eskimo Joe

So my Black Beauty "Sunny" grass seed blend has arrived. The soil is nice and wet now. It is a tad early, but with the soil nice and workable over the next few days, should I start reseeding? Going to do it in small sections (places where the existing grass has gone to thatch). It takes 10-14 days to germinate anyway, and if it goes dry- as you all know- I have a sprinkler. B)

I don't want it to burn up as its getting established, but the sun angle is getting lower by the day.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

So my Black Beauty "Sunny" grass seed blend has arrived. The soil is nice and wet now. It is a tad early, but with the soil nice and workable over the next few days, should I start reseeding? Going to do it in small sections (places where the existing grass has gone to thatch). It takes 10-14 days to germinate anyway, and if it goes dry- as you all know- I have a sprinkler. B)

I don't want it to burn up as its getting established, but the sun angle is getting lower by the day.

If you have enough to overseed a second time if necessary in those areas, why not?

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

If you have enough to overseed a second time if necessary in those areas, why not?

Yeah that's what I am thinking.

I started around August 15 last year and it came in fine. I have the starter fertilizer and I think I will cover the seeded areas with a layer of peat moss, and soak it.

6 hours ago, CAPE said:

The process of reseeding/overseeding has begun. Soil is nice and workable after all the rain this week It dries quick here, so going to take advantage and get the first section done.

Do you lime ?

Or, do you do a soil test ? 

A very nice setting you have there!  After 20 years we are tiring of being in a tight development with houses 20-30 feet away.  I mean, the back walls of the houses behind are literally in our face.  With so many yards close by, it's a rule that at least one lawnmower fires up as soon as we try to enjoy the deck in the evening.

Being a federal employee and looking at much more telework in the future, I am eyeballing Carroll County!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

A very nice setting you have there!  After 20 years we are tiring of being in a tight development with houses 20-30 feet away.  I mean, the back walls of the houses behind are literally in our face.  With so many yards close by, it's a rule that at least one lawnmower fires up as soon as we try to enjoy the deck in the evening.

Being a federal employee and looking at much more telework in the future, I am eyeballing Carroll County!

Its very rural here, so plenty of privacy and peace and quiet, outside of farm equipment running in the distance. A little remote, but I don't mind that. Not too far from the beach, Annapolis, etc. I am considering a move in the next year or 2 to a colder climate.

On 8/9/2020 at 8:35 AM, CAPE said:

First section seeded, fertilized, covered in a layer of peat moss, and watered. With the warm soil temps, it should not take too long to see how this turns out.

Are you worried about too much rain coming? 

Will it disturb or displace the seedlings? 

4 minutes ago, frd said:

Are you worried about too much rain coming? 

Will it disturb or displace the seedlings? 

No I loosened the soil and raked it in, then covered it with peat moss. Not expecting rain here until maybe Thursday anyway, so it should be fine.

2 hours ago, FXW176 said:

That is awesome @IronTy. I want. Thanks for posting that!

Horrible year so far here. Cats are being decimated by tachs. Released eight and lost five as of today. Not good odds. :(

Tachinid flies are the worst.  Nature is cruel that there'd be such a thing.   If I didn't sleeve my larvae then they'd almost all fall prey to tachinid flies.  This year has been a record year for regalis.  I think it's due to the jungle weather we've been having. 

IMG_20200812_174038_copy_1209x1612.jpg

• Like 1

Wow those are some awesome caterpillars!  I had to look up Regal moth to see what they look like.  I got a Luna moth to lay some eggs in a paper bag a few years ago, and read up on how to raise 'em.  I released about 12 Luna moths that summer.

I have two monarch chrysalises that will hatch next week while we are in Ocean City.  So, they are going and will be launched from a 6th floor balcony to be beach butterflies.

On 8/9/2020 at 8:35 AM, CAPE said:

First section seeded, fertilized, covered in a layer of peat moss, and watered. With the warm soil temps, it should not take too long to see how this turns out.

first.jpg.020dea5ce33290d4a198bf1b981c2c5c.jpg

A week later it looks like this. I am working generally right to left. That area of clover in front of the fire pit I am going to leave until later, then I will mow it super low.chop up the soil and loosen it with a shovel, seed it, and let the remnant clover contribute to feeding. I am working on the back side of the fire pit area now, then I will go left(out of the photo) and come forward, and hit that larger clover area last. Its keeping some green there for now lol.

1269806106_newgrass.jpg.c55c0eb4d8e3ac062a1377ea37ceaa12.jpg

• Like 1

Fescue grass already looks better last two days with cooler  temps .Just purchased and placed new blades on the mower for a cleaner cut and less chance of disease.   Cutting grass vertically for a better cut. Plan to rent aerator and do over-seeding end of the month when days are even shorter,  just hope no late August or early Sept heat waves.  That includes deluges from any tropical system as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, found patches of Japanese stilt grass in my lawn.  Ripped them out and going to reseed with grass seed, but got to keep a close eye on the rest of the lawn to make sure no more appears.  I'm guessing it's because of how rainy it's been, stilt grass likes moisture and shadier spots.