Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Mid Atlantic Lawn, Garden, Pool, etc. Thread

Eskimo Joe

On 4/28/2020 at 4:14 PM, Amorphous Iodine said:

Tithonia (aka Mexican sunflower)  beat everything else in attracting butterflies for a couple months last year in Spotsylvania Co. for me.  Results may vary.

Got ‘em. Thx again. :)

71AB7230-6229-4BA1-A5CA-38282C6C2BD4.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, usedtobe said:

Got my tomatoes in last week.  Will I need to cover them this weekend?  Going to be closer than I'd like.  Right now I'm glad I live east of the city.

How have you been doing?  Hope everything is good.  ...my wife went ahead and planted the tomatoes a few days ago when it was nice out...I warned her but she thought I was being silly.  We are pretty much screwed up here...might be better off if we did get a coating of snow tomorrow evening to provide some cover and prevent a hard freeze penetrating the plants.  Oh well...  

My youngins will be spending time indoors starting sometime tomorrow ‘till Sunday afternoon. And then they will go off to their forever homes later in the week. I’m so proud.

(And glad to get ‘em off my deck. Finally.)

• Like 1

I had a busy afternoon yesterday taking down five of the 15 year old Leylands along the side of the yard.  They were getting too large and shading the garden too much, so it was time.  I think I'll wait until fall to plant something else and use the space this summer for climbing ornamental squash for decorating and pumpkins for brewing.

image.png.5cbff9c28a40f92d1d997c52b5e6eaf8.png

image.png.ee6357001a6c8e4029bd830e52acdc7c.png

• Like 3

I shouldnt have planted....but I did.  Ive got my work cut out for me tonight after the rain ends.  Should be fun at 9pm trying to get everything covered.  I am hoping the wind keeps us from a hard freeze.  Freaking ridiculous man...

• Like 2

Mr Map took mini Map to a nursery yesterday that was open for foot traffic and they bought me all sorts of very pretty flowers to plant in my garden. Can’t wait to get them in the ground. 

• Like 4

Just a perfect day for doing any outdoor project, minus a bit of wind.

Just spent a couple hours cutting back the undergrowth along the edge of the woods out back. Amazing how much it opened things up. I now have a partial view through the trees of the farm behind my property, which I enjoy in the winter months when the foliage is gone.

7 hours ago, mappy said:

Mr Map took mini Map to a nursery yesterday that was open for foot traffic and they bought me all sorts of very pretty flowers to plant in my garden. Can’t wait to get them in the ground. 

They look good. ;)

Your mini has an eye for this.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

How did everyone's garden fare?  IMO, if we can make it to Wednesday I think our gardens are fine for the summer.  Looks like I've lost some salvia and petunas in an elevated deck box but otherwise made out pretty well.

I've lost too many young plants in the past so I waited.  I'll put my stuff in this week.  Hoping everyone else fared as well as you.

• Like 3

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

I've lost too many young plants in the past so I waited.  I'll put my stuff in this week.  Hoping everyone else fared as well as you.

We have about a dozen tomato seedlings in a cold frame and will be putting them out this coming Saturday.  We lost our tomato seedlings about 5 years ago in PA in early May to a rogue frost in York County and learned a big lesson.

• Like 1

Smart..
And I should know better. I was able to to save everything. A few burnt leaves here and there but nothing that will kill the plant. One... Maybe 2 more nights to contend with.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Not sure about yalls outdoor vegetable gardens but our indoor garden is doing pretty good lol

525A8E11-A405-4861-9870-42BD95F03EF4.jpeg

Whoa.

Just started my indoor garden in March after pondering the ideas for years.

What’s your setup? That is sweet.

1 minute ago, FXW176 said:

Whoa.

Just started my indoor garden in March after pondering the ideas for years.

What’s your setup? That is sweet.

It’s mostly cherry tomatoes. Had some herbs in there but the tomatoes completely took over lol. It’s one of those indoor aero gardens from Kohl’s. We started it in early February and some are ready to pick. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

It’s mostly cherry tomatoes. Had some herbs in there but the tomatoes completely took over lol. It’s one of those indoor aero gardens from Kohl’s. We started it in early February and some are ready to pick. 

Very cool. Was looking at those before I fell into the rabbit hole. Hard.

Eta: What’s your light cycle on that now? 12 on/12 off to fruit?

066E6371-501B-45A4-BC51-CA09305C0E5C.jpeg

• Like 2

Laying in all the vegetables this weekend.  Late start this year, but it worked out with all the freezing weather in May so far.  Haven't grown potatoes in a few years, but we recovered a large (50'x8') raised bed that we had let grow over and added some additional soil and peat last weekend.  Should yield a fair amount of Yukon golds if the bugs leave us alone.

Two other 50'x50' patches are turned and have trenches dug ready to plant beans and onions, and hills mounded for squash, cukes, melons, cantaloupes.  Tomatoes and peppers doing well in the cold house.  Hoping the soil warms soon, as we are putting them in the ground Saturday as well.  All the lettuces and herbs being grown in trays and pots/ buckets this year.

• Like 2

Another busy afternoon on the back 100. We moved the chives, oregano, and rosemary (first time it’s survived the winter!), got the sod down and spread the compost over the garden for planting tomorrow. Still a little behind but without our annual Black Eye Susan party today, no big deal. Tomorrow would’ve been the Preakness but hopefully it still happens in September or October. Enjoying Jonjons Bewildered Hippie IPA. Another winner.

The garden is going to do so well with more sun. Before and after pics.

image.png.2914e025e38bd8b247dd779c0eab9e5f.png

image.jpeg.afb8c9e1ffdf6320ce6b2a01dc407cbd.jpeg

• Like 6

On 5/15/2020 at 8:24 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

Another busy afternoon on the back 100. We moved the chives, oregano, and rosemary (first time it’s survived the winter!), got the sod down and spread the compost over the garden for planting tomorrow. Still a little behind but without our annual Black Eye Susan party today, no big deal. Tomorrow would’ve been the Preakness but hopefully it still happens in September or October. Enjoying Jonjons Bewildered Hippie IPA. Another winner.

The garden is going to do so well with more sun. Before and after pics.

image.png.2914e025e38bd8b247dd779c0eab9e5f.png

image.jpeg.afb8c9e1ffdf6320ce6b2a01dc407cbd.jpeg

I spy, with my little eye, a CoCoRaHS gauge...... lol!

• Like 2