Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Mid Atlantic Lawn, Garden, Pool, etc. Thread

Eskimo Joe

Looks great, CAPE!

Funny story here.i was going to seed yesterday with the black beauty you recommended but I felt I needed a larger bag. So on the way to the beer fest, I stopped in to the hardware store and exchanged for a larger bag and was going to seed when we got home. But we met some friends at the fest and they came over for a night cap. I ended up falling asleep to the game (in the 8th inning!), woke up on the couch at 3am, checked the radar and saw that rain was getting close.

Hopefully none of my neighbors saw me seeding at 3:15am this morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Looks great, CAPE!

Funny story here.i was going to seed yesterday with the black beauty you recommended but I felt I needed a larger bag. So on the way to the beer fest, I stopped in to the hardware store and exchanged for a larger bag and was going to seed when we got home. But we met some friends at the fest and they came over for a night cap. I ended up falling asleep to the game (in the 8th inning!), woke up on the couch at 3am, checked the radar and saw that rain was getting close.

Hopefully none of my neighbors saw me seeding at 3:15am this morning.

Gotta do what ya gotta do. I do all kinds of odd stuff here lol. I have no neighbors tho which is nice.

One thing about the BB, the stuff is really green when it matures, and ofc does well in the shade.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

@frd

Just took this pic of the new grass. Not bad considering I had to keep it going for 7 weeks in a drought. 

I should have taken a before photo 8 weeks ago. It was sad- burnt grass/thatch, dirt, and clover lol.

grass.jpg.012dc5264eaa7817fb715bb058f65040.jpg

Looks great.  I will have to take a pic of mine to share.   

All in all I am very happy with the way the front lawn looks.

The two most challenging things for me was the aeration and watering when it was 94 degrees out.  Your new fire pit and grass complement one another !  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Amorphous Iodine said:

When does the ground freeze solid?  Does the NWS or anyone model this?  I have some trees to plant and digging frozen ground requires too many spell points.  I’m only a 7th level half-elf Druid.  Thanks.

Your ground temps should be in the 50-54 degree range right now. You should be good for a while.

• 5 months later...
On 8/27/2019 at 5:52 PM, FXW176 said:

Mappy! Been awhile, hope you and yours are doing well! 

My prob four fav plants in the butterfly garden are the swamp milkweed (Asclepias Incarnata), Pentas, Lantana, and Celosia.

Only the milkweed is an perennial of the four, but doubles as a nectar and host plant for the monarchs. (And for some random critter I haven’t been able to id yet.)

The others are annual nectar plants with the Pentas attracting the most butterflies, the Lantana a great all around pollinator attractor, and the Celosia being the bee magnet. Results may vary...

The pic of that swallowtail cat came from the dill, rue, fennel, and parsley containers I have in the b garden. New addition this year and have never raised those cats before. Now I’m caring for a dozen. P cool.

Are you looking to provide a habitat or raise a few? Regardless, it’s waaay fun. :)

@mappy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amorphous Iodine said:

Tithonia (aka Mexican sunflower)  beat everything else in attracting butterflies for a couple months last year in Spotsylvania Co. for me.  Results may vary.

Seeds have been ordered. Apprec the tip. Ty brotha. Luv this hobby.

8 hours ago, mappy said:

the local nursery we got plants from last year delivers. we need to make a mulch order, so going to order some of those plants you recommended @FXW176 as well. Thank you again! 

That’s awesome re delivery. And you are most welcome! If you or yours are down here in NOVA anytime soon, I have/will have seedlings of most of the plants I hunt butterflies with. Waiting on a few more seed deliveries before I start another mass germination. More than happy to hook ya up.

Because everyone I know has a 2’x4’x5’ grow tent in their dining room. With LED lights. And USB fans. I’ve legit lost it...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FXW176 said:

That’s awesome re delivery. And you are most welcome! If you or yours are down here in NOVA anytime soon, I have/will have seedlings of most of the plants I hunt butterflies with. Waiting on a few more seed deliveries before I start another mass germination. More than happy to hook ya up.

Because everyone I know has a 2’x4’x5’ grow tent in their dining room. With LED lights. And USB fans. I’ve legit lost it...

I will def keep that in mind next time I’m down that way. Stay well and share more pics! 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, FXW176 said:

Tomorrow sound good for those tomato plants?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, H2O said:

Tomorrow sound good for those tomato plants?

I’m not too happy with my results to date. Think I seeded too early and the lows of late have messed with some of them. Early next week, fingers crossed. :)

A17891DB-2F29-4E58-B8EB-221E41A657BD.jpeg

6 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

@FXW176 your tomatoes are suffering from excess rain and cold ground.  Bring the plants inside at night to maintain soil temps of at least 60 degrees and they'll start popping.

Ty @Eskimo Joe! Thought the same. Moisture isn’t a prob as I track that shit but  soil temp lows def got me. Apprec the confirm!