Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer 2019 Banter Thread

doncat

13 hours ago, bluewave said:

They were both the strongest of their class for the South Shore of Nassau. 

An intense line of severe thunderstorms oriented from north to south developed during Labor Day afternoon ahead of a strong approaching cold front. As the storms moved east at 40 to 50 mph, they produced high winds, large hail, and an isolated tornado. Wind gusts from 60 to 80 mph downed many trees and power lines throughout the area. The cost estimates of damage included above are preliminary figures submitted by the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management.

In Richmond County, the following peak wind gusts were reported: 80 mph at Great Kills, the Verranzano Bridge, and in Richmond. High winds downed trees and caused a building to collapse in Richmond. One tree fell on and injured a man in Richmond.

In New York County (Manhattan), high winds caused a building to collapse.

In the Bronx, high winds downed a tree that fell on 3 people resulting in 1 death and 2 injuries in the courtyard of the Edenwald Houses at 1135 East 229th Street.

In Kings County (Brooklyn), high winds downed and uprooted several large trees. One tree fell on and injured a person at East 229th Street. Five to 6-foot diameter trees were uprooted east of Coney Island in the Gerritsen Beach Section, where 3 funnel clouds were also sighted and a firefighter was injured from large hail. Large trees also fell on and damaged cars in Bensonhurst.

In Queens County, a peak wind gust of 62 mph was measured at both LaGuardia Airport and at JFK Airport.

In Nassau County, the following peak wind gusts were reported: 75 mph in Farmingdale, 60 mph in Port Washington and Mineola and 58 mph at Farmingdale Republic Airport. High winds downed large tree limbs at Rockville Center, Baldwin, and Oceanside and downed trees in Long Beach, Massapequa, and Valley Stream. One-inch diameter hail dented cars and covered the ground in Farmingdale.

In Suffolk County, high winds overturned many boats in the Great South Bay, downed large trees in West Babylon and Rocky Point and downed large tree limbs in Wading River. One person died when a thunderstorm wind gust capsized a 19 foot sail boat in Great South Bay near Copiague. A Centerport woman, 36, and her daughter, 3, were injured when a tree fell on them in the parking lot of the Ground Round Restaurant and CVS on Fort Salonga Road. The following peak wind gusts were reported: 72 mph in Babylon and 65 mph in Fire Island.

The NWS confirmed that an F2 tornado was responsible for significant damage that occurred in Lynbrook. Most of the village received damage from straight line winds up to 80 mph, that was associated with a severe squall line. Downed trees covered the village with some structural damage where the F2 tornado touched down.

The major path of damage was from the northwest section of Lynbrook east-southeast to the southeast section of the village. Funnel clouds were observed from near the intersection of Marshall Ave. and Burtis Street and to the southeast. A tornado was first sighted by two eyewitnesses on Hampton Place. It rose and touched down several times: Second, near Winter Street and across Glover Circle; Third, along Peninsula Blvd. between Earle and Benton Avenues; and Fourth, as a weak F2 near the intersection of Rocklyn Ave. and Merrick Road. It moved across the Long Island Railroad Tracks and Sunrise Highway before it finally dissipated.

More than three hundred trees were blown over, many on houses and cars. Six people received minor injuries. Four of these were in "The Fun Zone" on Rocklyn Avenue. One woman was slightly injured by a tree that fell on her car. One police officer was also injured.

Excellent account.

BTW we hit 90 here, I dont know why JFK lagged behind.  There was a NW wind and temps definitely hit 90 on the south shore.

On 6/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, uofmiami said:

Anybody have any lightning bug (firefly) sightings yet?  Figure after next week they should start appearing since it’ll be warmer and dryer. Just curious if anyone has seen any yet regardless. 

Lots of them

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Excellent account.

BTW we hit 90 here, I dont know why JFK lagged behind.  There was a NW wind and temps definitely hit 90 on the south shore.

Looking at obs, JFK winds went SW around noon and S by mid afternoon.

LGA got to 90.

10 minutes ago, dWave said:

Looking at obs, JFK winds went SW around noon and S by mid afternoon.

LGA got to 90.

My winds were NW most of the day.  Got to 88 before the winds shifted to SW then S when the sea breeze kicked in.  Temp dropped from 88 to 82 between 3 and 4pm.  

14 hours ago, bluewave said:

They were both the strongest of their class for the South Shore of Nassau. 

An intense line of severe thunderstorms oriented from north to south developed during Labor Day afternoon ahead of a strong approaching cold front. As the storms moved east at 40 to 50 mph, they produced high winds, large hail, and an isolated tornado. Wind gusts from 60 to 80 mph downed many trees and power lines throughout the area. The cost estimates of damage included above are preliminary figures submitted by the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management.

In Richmond County, the following peak wind gusts were reported: 80 mph at Great Kills, the Verranzano Bridge, and in Richmond. High winds downed trees and caused a building to collapse in Richmond. One tree fell on and injured a man in Richmond.

In New York County (Manhattan), high winds caused a building to collapse.

In the Bronx, high winds downed a tree that fell on 3 people resulting in 1 death and 2 injuries in the courtyard of the Edenwald Houses at 1135 East 229th Street.

In Kings County (Brooklyn), high winds downed and uprooted several large trees. One tree fell on and injured a person at East 229th Street. Five to 6-foot diameter trees were uprooted east of Coney Island in the Gerritsen Beach Section, where 3 funnel clouds were also sighted and a firefighter was injured from large hail. Large trees also fell on and damaged cars in Bensonhurst.

In Queens County, a peak wind gust of 62 mph was measured at both LaGuardia Airport and at JFK Airport.

In Nassau County, the following peak wind gusts were reported: 75 mph in Farmingdale, 60 mph in Port Washington and Mineola and 58 mph at Farmingdale Republic Airport. High winds downed large tree limbs at Rockville Center, Baldwin, and Oceanside and downed trees in Long Beach, Massapequa, and Valley Stream. One-inch diameter hail dented cars and covered the ground in Farmingdale.

In Suffolk County, high winds overturned many boats in the Great South Bay, downed large trees in West Babylon and Rocky Point and downed large tree limbs in Wading River. One person died when a thunderstorm wind gust capsized a 19 foot sail boat in Great South Bay near Copiague. A Centerport woman, 36, and her daughter, 3, were injured when a tree fell on them in the parking lot of the Ground Round Restaurant and CVS on Fort Salonga Road. The following peak wind gusts were reported: 72 mph in Babylon and 65 mph in Fire Island.

The NWS confirmed that an F2 tornado was responsible for significant damage that occurred in Lynbrook. Most of the village received damage from straight line winds up to 80 mph, that was associated with a severe squall line. Downed trees covered the village with some structural damage where the F2 tornado touched down.

The major path of damage was from the northwest section of Lynbrook east-southeast to the southeast section of the village. Funnel clouds were observed from near the intersection of Marshall Ave. and Burtis Street and to the southeast. A tornado was first sighted by two eyewitnesses on Hampton Place. It rose and touched down several times: Second, near Winter Street and across Glover Circle; Third, along Peninsula Blvd. between Earle and Benton Avenues; and Fourth, as a weak F2 near the intersection of Rocklyn Ave. and Merrick Road. It moved across the Long Island Railroad Tracks and Sunrise Highway before it finally dissipated.

More than three hundred trees were blown over, many on houses and cars. Six people received minor injuries. Four of these were in "The Fun Zone" on Rocklyn Avenue. One woman was slightly injured by a tree that fell on her car. One police officer was also injured.

There was one in the 70's (Early-mid?) that went from like Franklin square to freeport IIRC trees down everywhere from what I remember.

15 hours ago, Byrdhousebv said:

Question about Ambient Weather WS-1401. I have been using weather underground for computer display and cannot figure out how to get the indoor sensor displayed on the computer. Any help much appreciated.

I have WS-2902A and the only time I can't get it to display on my comp is when it gets disconnected from the wifi. 

6 hours ago, frankdp23 said:

I have WS-2902A and the only time I can't get it to display on my comp is when it gets disconnected from the wifi. 

Thanks for the response. After communicating with AmbientWeather Help, I learned that only the outdoor instruments of the 1401 kit are displayed on Weather Underground. I connected with AmbientWeather.net and am now showing both the outdoor and indoor data. 

• Like 1

I think Europe will finally adopt air conditioning now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/06/28/europes-record-heatwave-is-changing-stubborn-minds-about-value-air-conditioning/?utm_term=.ea277d2c3a0d

Until now, fewer than 5 percent of all European households have been air-conditioned, compared with 90 percent in the United States. But Europe’s air-conditioner stock is estimated to roughly double within the next two decades, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA), as record heat becomes more frequent and prolonged because of climate change.

On a continent that has long shrugged off air conditioning as unnecessary and where doctors still debate its potentially harmful side effects, this week’s quest to find cooler air may foreshadow a drastic change in Europeans’ relationship to the air conditioner. Dirk Trembich, the head of the Berliner Klima air-conditioning company, said interest began to surge in April 2018 — ahead of a record-hot summer. Demand still hasn’t faded.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:28 PM, Rjay said:

My winds were NW most of the day.  Got to 88 before the winds shifted to SW then S when the sea breeze kicked in.  Temp dropped from 88 to 82 between 3 and 4pm.  

We get this way sometimes, sea breezes are far more fragile than rain/snow lines unless the wind is pretty strong.  I had 90 degrees or over all four days- 90-93-90-93

The humidity was the worst today.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:40 PM, bluewave said:

I think Europe will finally adopt air conditioning now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/06/28/europes-record-heatwave-is-changing-stubborn-minds-about-value-air-conditioning/?utm_term=.ea277d2c3a0d

Until now, fewer than 5 percent of all European households have been air-conditioned, compared with 90 percent in the United States. But Europe’s air-conditioner stock is estimated to roughly double within the next two decades, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA), as record heat becomes more frequent and prolonged because of climate change.

On a continent that has long shrugged off air conditioning as unnecessary and where doctors still debate its potentially harmful side effects, this week’s quest to find cooler air may foreshadow a drastic change in Europeans’ relationship to the air conditioner. Dirk Trembich, the head of the Berliner Klima air-conditioning company, said interest began to surge in April 2018 — ahead of a record-hot summer. Demand still hasn’t faded.

Even London and the rest of the UK do you think?

On 6/30/2019 at 12:03 AM, LibertyBell said:

We get this way sometimes, sea breezes are far more fragile than rain/snow lines unless the wind is pretty strong.  I had 90 degrees or over all four days- 90-93-90-93

The humidity was the worst today.

In Oceanside? I remember many days growing up where it seemed like the open expanse of relatively warm shallow water in the bay would stabilize the air and kill the breeze that was blowing well in Island Park. I used to spend A LOT of time on my bicycle and could directly feel the difference. There were so many times we'd be 10 or more degrees warmer than IP or LB.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

In Oceanside? I remember many days growing up where it seemed like the open expanse of relatively warm shallow water in the bay would stabilize the air and kill the breeze that was blowing well in Island Park. I used to spend A LOT of time on my bicycle and could directly feel the difference. There were so many times we'd be 10 or more degrees warmer than IP or LB.

Wow that's really interesting- I was wondering why we were warmer than JFK!  Too bad this doesn't translate to rain/snow/mix lines in the winter though :P

On 7/1/2019 at 2:29 AM, LibertyBell said:

Anyone hear about the crazy five feet of hail that fell in Mexico?  Guadelajara I think?

That wasn't five feet of hail. From the video I saw , flash flooding caused hail to pile up in certain spots. Still though a crazy amount of hail did fall. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SRRTA22 said:

That wasn't five feet of hail. From the video I saw , flash flooding caused hail to pile up in certain spots. Still though a crazy amount of hail did fall. 

I have seen more severe hail reports around the world this year than I have ever seen in my entire life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Wild video of the Fire Island ferry crossing the Great South Bay In the severe storms on Sunday.

Great find. It’s exactly this type of situation (slightly worse) that caused boats to capsize and  deaths during the Labor Day 98 derecho. You never want to be stuck out on the water for that type of event 

20 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

Yea it was being called a hail glacier.  I remember this happened a few years ago in the mountains in Mexico too.  Not this extreme though. I wonder what the actual amount of hail that fell was?  I take it this is the hail equivalent of drifting, so it was like they had 5-6 ft drifts lol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Yea it was being called a hail glacier.  I remember this happened a few years ago in the mountains in Mexico too.  Not this extreme though. I wonder what the actual amount of hail that fell was?  I take it this is the hail equivalent of drifting, so it was like they had 5-6 ft drifts lol.

Yeah, they call it a SPLASH event. But those drifts were caused by small hail being carried and piled by flash flood waters. No doubt that the amount of small hail that was very impressive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/07/02/mexico-hail-storm-was-massive-wasnt-something-new/?utm_term=.e329decee808

• Like 2

On 7/2/2019 at 7:01 PM, LibertyBell said:

Wow that's really interesting- I was wondering why we were warmer than JFK!  Too bad this doesn't translate to rain/snow/mix lines in the winter though :P

In a way it does. That same stabilization happens but unfortunately it's a warming influence. Until the bay freezes (or at least slushes over) the whole south side of town is noticeably warmer than elsewhere. I remember many times getting 3-5" while my friends over by Boardman would barely get 1" and the north side of town by the hospital would get 6". The difference in "wintry feel" from one side of town to the other was significant. It was pretty much the same all along the bay areas/towns on the south shore, I can't imagine that has changed much.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gravitylover said:

In a way it does. That same stabilization happens but unfortunately it's a warming influence. Until the bay freezes (or at least slushes over) the whole south side of town is noticeably warmer than elsewhere. I remember many times getting 3-5" while my friends over by Boardman would barely get 1" and the north side of town by the hospital would get 6". The difference in "wintry feel" from one side of town to the other was significant. It was pretty much the same all along the bay areas/towns on the south shore, I can't imagine that has changed much.

I was just going to post some stuff about wintry events of the past that I just remembered.  There seems to be a boundary that sets up just SE of Oceanside in many borderline events.  Example- in March 1993, the "Superstorm"- Oceanside got 10-11 inches of snow, like NYC/JFK got, but if you drove east of there totals quickly dropped- Massapequa only got 6 inches.  Another one was the big ice storm in Jan 1994 where we got 2 inches of ZR!  Just east of here the temps rose above freezing during the storm while we stayed below freezing the whole time!  In the VD 2008 storm, a similar thing happened (albeit on a smaller scale) where we stayed below freezing during the entire event while Freeport and Long Beach rose well above freezing.  We even had an event in Feb 2010 when we got 5" of a very wet snow while it was raining in Long Beach!

Even when temps are well below freezing throughout the area, we seem to do better in el ninos- in the Feb 1983 storm, we had close to 2 feet of snow while NYC only had 18"  In Jan 2016, our big one, we had 30 inches of snow while areas east and south of us had less.  And who can forget PD2, where we also got in on 24+ totals!

• Like 1