Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 Banter Thread

doncat

On 8/27/2019 at 8:56 AM, bluewave said:

People get scared when they see the continuing ecosystem destruction. So it’s not a surprise that rumors get started in this age of instant global communications. But at least running out of oxygen isn’t something to be worried about.

https://theconversation.com/amp/amazon-fires-are-destructive-but-they-arent-depleting-earths-oxygen-supply-122369?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twitterbutton&__twitter_impression=true

running out of oxygen isn't the problem, as even a 20% loss in oxygen keeps the atmosphere as approximately 16%, so in reality that's a 4% loss over the normal 20%.... the issue is, habitat destruction and human overpopulation, and the fact that a predominately meat based diet isn't environmentally sustainable nor is it healthy,

In that article they mentioned the oceans, and yet neglected to bring up the fact that there are large dead zones showing up because of chemical pesticide and fertilizer run off and pollution from plastics and what effects those have on marine ecosystems.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:49 AM, SnoSki14 said:

The focus should be on biodiversity, which is getting threatened yearly though not just due to fires.

that's why we're in the middle of our sixth mass extinction, but look at it this way, if humanity goes extinct, or even if there is some major natural calamity because of our excesses that cuts back humanity to a more manageable level, the rest of the planet will be FAR better off.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, gravitylover said:

You won't need to move. It will be warmer here anyway... #climatechange=golfallyear 

a/c all year?

My health has gotten worse during the summer in recent years, I'm fine with the dry heat we had in the early 2010s, but the recent years of high humidity have had made it more difficult to breathe unless I head for the mountains, and I've been on antibiotics multiple times in the last two years especially for some sort of infection that only seems to strike in the summer.  That's along with the allergy issues that seem to be getting worse and lasting all during the warm season now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

a/c all year?

My health has gotten worse during the summer in recent years, I'm fine with the dry heat we had in the early 2010s, but the recent years of high humidity have had made it more difficult to breathe unless I head for the mountains, and I've been on antibiotics multiple times in the last two years especially for some sort of infection that only seems to strike in the summer.  That's along with the allergy issues that seem to be getting worse and lasting all during the warm season now.

Have you given your ACs a good cleaning?  Too many people think all you have to do is clean/replace the filter and they are good to go but there’s more to it than just that. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

Have you given your ACs a good cleaning?  Too many people think all you have to do is clean/replace the filter and they are good to go but there’s more to it than just that. 

That might be it, I haven't done that in years.  Ironic thing is when I put in the a/c's the allergies go away in the rooms that have a/c in them, but then I get these terrible head aches and sinus infections.

20 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

That might be it, I haven't done that in years.  Ironic thing is when I put in the a/c's the allergies go away in the rooms that have a/c in them, but then I get these terrible head aches and sinus infections.

I pulled apart one of my window units last month and was shocked at the amount of filth inside. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

a/c all year?

Time to leave LI dude. It's not a good place ;) and you're finding out...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Time to leave LI dude. It's not a good place ;) and you're finding out...

sure isn't, and I didn't even get to the part about the drinking water, it's beyond contaminated.  When drinking tap water I have to leave the water running for 30 minutes to an hour to not get stomach cramps.  I had a filter put in and that didn't help either.  So now what I do is leave the kitchen faucet running for an hour, fill up a bunch of water bottles and put them in the fridge and drink from those, rinse and repeat lol.

water pressure is pretty low too, but that's a small problem compared to not being able to drink it.  hot water is fine, it's the cold water that suffers from low pressure- down to drops at times.

12 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

sure isn't, and I didn't even get to the part about the drinking water, it's beyond contaminated.  When drinking tap water I have to leave the water running for 30 minutes to an hour to not get stomach cramps.  I had a filter put in and that didn't help either.  So now what I do is leave the kitchen faucet running for an hour, fill up a bunch of water bottles and put them in the fridge and drink from those, rinse and repeat lol.

water pressure is pretty low too, but that's a small problem compared to not being able to drink it.  hot water is fine, it's the cold water that suffers from low pressure- down to drops at times.

If the cold water doesn’t have pressure but the hot does then it’s something in your cold supply line, is the filter just on the cold water?  Might be time to replace that filter. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

If the cold water doesn’t have pressure but the hot does then it’s something in your cold supply line, is the filter just on the cold water?  Might be time to replace that filter. 

I have to replace the filter once a year which I do, but the very weak cold water pressure remains- the strange thing is it happens at odd hours.  Like the water will be fine at 6 PM but if I get up early at 4 AM the cold water line's very weak- barely dripping.  It makes me think someone else in my neighborhood has their sprinklers going at that time and it lowers the water pressure for everyone else?  Sometimes it's so bad that the toilet doesn't fill back up after flushing lol.

I have a hot water tank, so I think the reason why that one doesn't suffer is because it just takes water from the 50 gallon tank when I run that line.

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I've heard bad things about LI tap water, especially pollutants seeping into the water supply from septic tanks etc which the sandy soils there don't hold as well. Where is LI getting its water supply from? I assume not from the upstate reservoirs that serve NYC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 8:36 AM, LibertyBell said:

My dad still lives in Oceanside and doesn't have any of these problems. Sounds like your neighborhood has some issues. Where are you in town? He's between OJC and Avodah off Bellevue Ave.

21 hours ago, dWave said:

I've heard bad things about LI tap water, especially pollutants seeping into the water supply from septic tanks etc which the sandy soils there don't hold as well. Where is LI getting its water supply from? I assume not from the upstate reservoirs that serve NYC.

As far as I know LI still gets their water from deep wells. 

• Like 1

Above Normal T's for the FALL are 3x more likely than Below Normal.      And for the WINTER, are still 2x more likely.  [Gov't Output-which never goes BN anyway]    I disagree and say it will be SSW to the rescue.     It has been going on all summer but this phenomena has its greatest affect on the 2M T during the winter of course.     Hope it positions itself favorably for us, that is over N.A.

Speaking of AN, from listening to WFLA in Tampa on IHeart Radio, AN is a staple.   17 months in a row have been AN, and 22/24 during the last 2 years.

We had 20 months in a row of AN back in (and around) the 2015 period.

Even using the most recent 30 year periods, updated annualy, might not fully catch us up to the moving target of GW.    Clearly the 'current normals' aren't anymore.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:03 AM, gravitylover said:

My dad still lives in Oceanside and doesn't have any of these problems. Sounds like your neighborhood has some issues. Where are you in town? He's between OJC and Avodah off Bellevue Ave.

As far as I know LI still gets their water from deep wells. 

Yeah, News 12 has had a lot of stories about it.  Pesticides in the water, and the e coli issue in Long Beach.  We're getting seepage from farm chems into the water supply.  TBH since I started taking amoxicillin and the weather cooled down, a lot of my issues have come to an end- but I hate having to take it multiple times a year, like I do with benadryl.  I'm on Day 10 of my current amoxicillin treatment.

I live off of Ocean Avenue, near the border between Lynbrook, East Rockaway and Oceanside.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:05 PM, coastalplainsnowman said:

Looking at the latest cone for Dorian, wondering if anyone is thinking it may come up this way.  Day 5 has it about 50 miles off the NC/SC coast.  As I always preface everything I ask here, just an enthusiast/hobbyist, but we've seen this before, right?  Thinking that day 5 looks Gloria-ish?

looks like some rain and wind on Friday? going to have a noreaster feel to it with temps in the 60s :) yay