Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 Banter Thread

doncat

2 hours ago, etudiant said:

Quite wrong imho.

The big rise in emissions is from China, India and other developing countries desperate to lift their people out of millennia of poverty.

They need reliable power for their industrial development and coal is the best way to achieve that. Nuclear is better, but costs too much because of the regulatory overhead imposed by anti proliferation and anti exposure rules.

Either way, the consumption of meat has to lessen (both for the environment and for our health.)  Land use is a major issue.

Going on the climate change train.... emission of methane from herd animals as a whole accounts for more greenhouse gas emissions than any nation in the world besides China and the US.  And as China and India are "developing" they are adopting more of the unhealthy Western diet and consuming more meat.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

too much consumption of meat is widely known to be a health as well as environmental issue.  If everyone consumed as much meat as America does, the world would have ran out of fresh water back in 2005. 

Just look at the fires in the Amazon- who started them?  Cattle ranchers and loggers.  They should be in prison for life for doing that.

While there has always been people trying to clear land in the Amazon, the new president of Brazil has created an environment more permissive of it, allowing such actions to go more unchecked. He has a more anti environmental regulation stance in general.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dWave said:

While there has always been people trying to clear land in the Amazon, the new president of Brazil has created an environment more permissive of it, allowing such actions to go more unchecked. He has a more anti environmental regulation stance in general.

Yea he is Trump lite.  At some point, we need to realize that the Amazon is WAY more important than the nation of Brazil or any other country for that matter.  There should be an international environmental corps with muscle that steps in and prevents them from doing this, regardless of what Brazil's "leader" says.... that also applies to Trump and what he's been doing to endangered species and drilling on public lands.

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about eliminating meat completely, but lessening it to about 10% of the diet, which would benefit us environmentally as well as healthwise (see ACA and AHA recommendations.)

You're right about overpopulation and densely populated cities being a problem, that increases pollution (see rising asthma rates and the health impact of light pollution as well as toxic waste) and frankly, too high of a population growth rate in developing nations in Africa is more of a problem than poachers are.  We are in the middle of a mass extinction right now because humanity is seizing land that should be set aside for nature, not to mention other problems that go along with this issue, like climate change and plastic in the oceans.  Studies have shown that the best way to reduce climate change is to have one less child.  That reduces our carbon footprint faster than anything else does.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:37 PM, uncle W said:

loosing some rain forests are not good but you can't tell Brazil how to manage their land...same goes for the globalists telling us how to run our country...we can conserve all we want but if other countries don't we are wasting our time and money...

the Amazon doesn't just affect them it affects their bordering countries which are now also on fire as well as the rest of the world.  The threat to the entire planet is a lot more than what artificially defined borders would dictate.  If you dont want to do it militarily, you can isolate them by embargoing the hell out of them and banning companies from doing business with Brazil and banning their products.  Like we are doing with China.  We already tell other nations what to do for far less reasons than this.

To get a scope of how much is getting burned, it's equal to the amount of land in the US between Los Angeles and Detroit!  That's a lot more than most can comprehend.

• Thanks 2

On 8/22/2019 at 12:31 PM, rclab said:

Only a Police Officer would notice. Thank you for the heads up Anthony. I do enjoy both. As always ........

A few years ago, my wife and I were in the city and my car got towed. It was 2AM. We're like "where did they tow it to?" My wife said "look there's a dunkin right there, let's go inside and check". We went inside, and wouldn't you know it, there was a few cops in there and we got the information :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Fantom X said:

A few years ago, my wife and I were in the city and my car got towed. It was 2AM. We're like "where did they tow it to?" My wife said "look there's a dunkin right there, let's go inside and check". We went inside, and wouldn't you know it, there was a few cops in there and we got the information :)

I wouldn’t have have been surprised if they had offered to take you to the car pound. I have donated blood at the mobile outside the 76th Precinct ( nicknamed Hollywood ) a large number of Officers we’re donating. A wonderful group of men and women City, State and Nation wide.  Did you get the car that night? When mine got towed it was costly, for the amount I paid to spring it I could have parked onstage. Congratulations on your new home, may it give you many decades of happiness and peace. As always ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rclab said:

I wouldn’t have have been surprised if they had offered to take you to the car pound. I have donated blood at the mobile outside the 76th Precinct ( nicknamed Hollywood ) a large number of Officers we’re donating. A wonderful group of men and women City, State and Nation wide.  Did you get the car that night? When mine got towed it was costly, for the amount I paid to spring it I could have parked onstage. Congratulations on your new home, may it give you many decades of happiness and peace. As always ...

Yeah, after about a 2 hour wait at the lot, about $350 to get it back :(

2 hours ago, Fantom X said:

Yeah, after about a 2 hour wait at the lot, about $350 to get it back :(

OUCH. My charge was for towing, overnight stay for the car and a parking ticket for good measure. It still hurts to remember. In the decades to come the urban POV may be a rare site on the city streets. Be well, as always ....

On 8/22/2019 at 6:34 PM, LibertyBell said:

ranchers and loggers are trying to clear the forest for their own use, ignoring the fact that the Amazon provides about 20% of the oxygen we breathe

That 20 percent figure is not correct, the world is not in danger of running out of oxygen.

51 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

That 20 percent figure is not correct, the world is not in danger of running out of oxygen.

People get scared when they see the continuing ecosystem destruction. So it’s not a surprise that rumors get started in this age of instant global communications. But at least running out of oxygen isn’t something to be worried about.

https://theconversation.com/amp/amazon-fires-are-destructive-but-they-arent-depleting-earths-oxygen-supply-122369?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twitterbutton&__twitter_impression=true

• Sad 1

Amazon Rain forest fires are bad news for everyone no matter how you look at it, remember the Bible states that the world will end by fire not rain this time around. Plus if you consider this has the potential to be the worst fire of all recorded history it doesn’t sit well with me and it shouldn’t with you trump supporters either.

not to mention that the fires may poison the quality of our water and our oceans which is also mentioned on the Bible. The governments of the world need to step in and help out!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1