Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 Banter Thread

doncat

Just now, ThatHurricane said:

No, Vancouver Airport's record is 94 degrees (which goes back to 1957) It's a surprisingly low record.

You can find more of this data at http://scacis.rcc-acis.org/ if you are interested.

Thanks, Victoria is right on the water I believe so that might be more equivalent to a southern UK beach location.  London and Seattle are more equivalent as you said.  I wonder what Paris and its outlandish 109 degrees equates to?  Portland, Oregon?  https://localreviews.knoji.com/10-alltime-hottest-weather-temperature-days-in-portland/

They reached 107 multiple times, so it's pretty close to 109.

Most people do not associate the city of Portland with hot weather, but it can get hot here. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Portland, Oregon is 107 degrees, which occurred on August 10, 1981, August 8, 1981 and July 30, 1965.

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-Weather/USA/OR/Portland/extreme-annual-portland-high-temperature.php

These records were observed near downtown Portland and go back to 1875. Thehighest temperature measured during that time was 107 degrees Fahrenheit (42 Celsius) on August 10, 1981 plus earlier days that month, and on July 2, 1942.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Long ago, at first, I hated their sound.  Now, when it's cool enough to open the windows to a summer's night, their sound has mellowed for me.  I lived in the SF Bay area for 31 years, and missed the sounds of Summer insects.  Katydids are weird looking insects, not often seen.  This pic is not mine, but I've seen this critter at least once.

Unknown.jpeg.e46e46449d768320b14e1144aa1f308b.jpeg  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stemwinder said:

Long ago, at first, I hated their sound.  Now, when it's cool enough to open the windows to a summer's night, their sound has mellowed for me.  I lived in the SF Bay area for 31 years, and missed the sounds of Summer insects.  Katydids are weird looking insects, not often seen.  This pic is not mine, but I've seen this critter at least once.

Unknown.jpeg.e46e46449d768320b14e1144aa1f308b.jpeg  

I love hearing the sounds of Summer at night (and during the day including Cicadas).  It goes from Peepers in the Spring to the Grey Tree Frogs and now Katydids.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the "Laughter Curve",  the GFS is 16 degrees higher at CP than JFK on the 20th.,  83* vs. 99*.  [from WeatherBell site]    Call it 91*.    Hey, I think I am going to start using these models to predict the Stock Market and the Economy around here.     Did you hear that Mr. Laffer?!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/climate-environment/climate-change-america/

New Jersey is the fastest warming state, and Long Island is right there with it. 

We are now accustomed to monthly departures of +2 off of 1980-2010 means, but these are still significant and a sign that our area has warmed considerably. 

August looks like another +2 departure. To many these relatively small departures seem normal or usual, but they aren’t. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/climate-environment/climate-change-america/

New Jersey is the fastest warming state, and Long Island is right there with it. 

We are now accustomed to monthly departures of +2 off of 1980-2010 means, but these are still significant and a sign that our area has warmed considerably. 

August looks like another +2 departure. To many these relatively small departures seem normal or usual, but they aren’t. 

Worrisome news but not at all surprising. Why the unusually cool wet springs though? My garden took a beating in the spring; I lost a lot of crops and had to replant, often using plastic raised beds and pots, which hold heat better but dry out too fast. Now I have produce coming out of my ears; once it got hot they took off. Interestingly, tomatoes don't set fruit over around 85 degrees; you need a cooler period before that. Once fall comes they will start setting again, but the results are never the same.

26 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Worrisome news but not at all surprising. Why the unusually cool wet springs though? My garden took a beating in the spring; I lost a lot of crops and had to replant, often using plastic raised beds and pots, which hold heat better but dry out too fast. Now I have produce coming out of my ears; once it got hot they took off. Interestingly, tomatoes don't set fruit over around 85 degrees; you need a cooler period before that. Once fall comes they will start setting again, but the results are never the same.

Global warming doesn’t mean that there won’t be cool periods. The cool periods are just warmer than they would have been 

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

Global warming doesn’t mean that there won’t be cool periods. The cool periods are just warmer than they would have been 

Yes, which makes dismal wet winters seem longer, if followed by dismal wet springs, hence people complaining. It has been tough for gardeners and farmers this year, and part of the rivers used to transport grain are too high and barges can't get through, leaving crops to rot. Among other problems. And the mosquitos, my God, they are vicious this year. That's one species that climate change could make even worse.

Yeah the stinging bugs have been overwhelming. I do many many miles on the road and the front of whatever car I'm in that day gets plastered. In a weird way it's not so bad that mine has been in for recall work for a month because I've done about 6,000 hard road miles and the loaner car (that had 111 miles on it when I picked it up) looks like it's been through several wringers. There are bugs drilled so deep into what was new paint they're never coming out. These bugs and I have put a serious hurt on the resale value of this loaner :) 

even with the world warming we could still get as cold as 2014 and 2015...both winters got over 50" of snow...2017-18 had the second longest stretch of days with max temps 32 or lower with a good snowstorm also...that winter got 40" of snow...so very cold and snowy periods can still come at any time during any winter...last year was mediocre to bad but it was still better than 2006-07, 2007-08 and 2011-12...

2 hours ago, uncle W said:

even with the world warming we could still get as cold as 2014 and 2015...both winters got over 50" of snow...2017-18 had the second longest stretch of days with max temps 32 or lower with a good snowstorm also...that winter got 40" of snow...so very cold and snowy periods can still come at any time during any winter...last year was mediocre to bad but it was still better than 2006-07, 2007-08 and 2011-12...

Mild winters and humid summers have been the new normal following the global temperature jump in 15-16. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for another cold winter and less humid summer.

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Season
Mean Avg Temperature 
Missing Count
2018-2019 36.3 0
2017-2018 36.2 0
2016-2017 39.3 0
2015-2016 41.0 0
2014-2015 31.4 0
2013-2014 32.9 0
2012-2013 36.8 0
2011-2012 40.5 0
2010-2011 32.8 0
2009-2010 33.8 0
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Mild winters and humid summers have been the new normal following the global temperature jump in 15-16. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for another cold winter and less humid summer.

Season
Mean Avg Temperature 
Missing Count
2018-2019 36.3 0
2017-2018 36.2 0
2016-2017 39.3 0
2015-2016 41.0 0
2014-2015 31.4 0
2013-2014 32.9 0
2012-2013 36.8 0
2011-2012 40.5 0
2010-2011 32.8 0
2009-2010 33.8 0

I'll take the average snowfall we got for the last ten years...

On 8/17/2019 at 6:41 PM, bluewave said:

Season
Mean Avg Temperature 
Missing Count
2018-2019 36.3 0
2017-2018 36.2 0
2016-2017 39.3 0
2015-2016 41.0 0
2014-2015 31.4 0
2013-2014 32.9 0
2012-2013 36.8 0
2011-2012 40.5 0
2010-2011 32.8 0
2009-2010 33.8 0

Did you see the new UN report about how the way we use land is destroying our environment (we need to switch to a 90% vegetable based diet and stop using so much land for animal grazing) as well as how the destruction of the Amazon rain forest is going to turn that area into a savannah with drought conditions?  There was 11 million gallons of ice meltage on land in Greenland in one day, with 35 million gallons in the month of July.  A thousand year old glacier in Iceland that used to be 20 miles long melted entirely.

Sea levels have been rising a half inch per month, I wonder if that will accelerate with all this ice melt going on in Greenland and Antarctica.

I wonder if summers like 1983 will become much more common for us.

Now it is animals grazing. The latest reason. 

That is the least of our problems.

Humanity needs to fundamentally switch transportation modes and stop emitting fossil fuels.

That can easily be done with electric cars. 

Planes are a problem. And trucks. And machinery. And electrical generation and on and on.

What has become apparent to me, is that none of this is going to happen . There will be incremental cuts to emissions that are reasonable with new technology. And these will be offset by population growth.

Despite a looming threat, humanity will not suffer one day of convenience or comfort or necessity for the sake of cutting emissions.

That is just the reality of humanity.

If the earth explodes tomorrow, it isnt cow poop. It is the two SUVs in the garage, your year round HVAC system and YOUR carbon footprint.

Enjoy a guilt-free burger on me tonight.

And for the record, the Impossible Whopper tastes very much like a veggie burger. :)

45 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Humanity needs to fundamentally switch transportation modes and stop emitting fossil fuels.

Planes are a problem. And trucks. And machinery. And electrical generation and on and on.

What has become apparent to me, is that none of this is going to happen . There will be incremental cuts to emissions that are reasonable with new technology. And these will be offset by population growth.

Despite a looming threat, humanity will not suffer one day of convenience or comfort or necessity for the sake of cutting emissions.

If the earth explodes tomorrow, it isnt cow poop. It is the two SUVs in the garage, your year round HVAC system and YOUR carbon footprint.

And for the record, the Impossible Whopper tastes very much like a veggie burger. :)

Now I understand why the lady on the commercial screams “LIES”. As always ....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jfklganyc said:

Quite wrong imho.

The big rise in emissions is from China, India and other developing countries desperate to lift their people out of millennia of poverty.

They need reliable power for their industrial development and coal is the best way to achieve that. Nuclear is better, but costs too much because of the regulatory overhead imposed by anti proliferation and anti exposure rules.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:34 PM, jfklganyc said:

too much consumption of meat is widely known to be a health as well as environmental issue.  If everyone consumed as much meat as America does, the world would have ran out of fresh water back in 2005.   

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about eliminating meat completely, but lessening it to about 10% of the diet, which would benefit us environmentally as well as healthwise (see ACA and AHA recommendations.)

You're right about overpopulation and densely populated cities being a problem, that increases pollution (see rising asthma rates and the health impact of light pollution as well as toxic waste) and frankly, too high of a population growth rate in developing nations in Africa is more of a problem than poachers are.  We are in the middle of a mass extinction right now because humanity is seizing land that should be set aside for nature, not to mention other problems that go along with this issue, like climate change and plastic in the oceans.  Studies have shown that the best way to reduce climate change is to have one less child.  That reduces our carbon footprint faster than anything else does.

Just look at the fires in the Amazon- who started them?  Cattle ranchers and loggers.  They should be in prison for life for doing that.