Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 Banter Thread

doncat

9 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

As a matter of fact I saw some last night in Melville

I’ll start keeping an eye out for them nightly now. My 3 year son and I looked last night but didn’t see any yet in Syosset, so I told him I’d ask on here. Hopefully they appear this week in my own backyard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

I’ll start keeping an eye out for them nightly now. My 3 year son and I looked last night but didn’t see any yet in Syosset, so I told him I’d ask on here. Hopefully they appear this week in my own backyard.

I also saw on Friday night, but these were the first nights I saw them.  I’m sure the rain hasn’t helped

23 hours ago, uofmiami said:

I actually meant to post this but I saw the first one over a week ago. Surprised because it was so cool and rainy.  Now I have multiple a night in my yard. I guess I am in a good spot for them. 

2 hours ago, NycStormChaser said:

This boat washed up at field 6 Jones Beach a few days ago. I went there last night to photograph it. I was surprised how dark it was that close to the light pollution. 55f4761c7460e164f16c638f4ff2f5f0.jpg

I saw this boat last weekend. The owner of this thing should have to bear the full cost of the removal. The "up to" $15k probably won't cover the cost to the state to have this removed. This was intentional and sets a bad precedent for people that don't know what do with their useless old boats. You can't just leave this thing at the curb and hope the garbage men will take it away. 

Great picture though lol

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/boat-beached-jones-beach-abandoned-1.32657038

32 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

I saw this boat last weekend. The owner of this thing should have to bear the full cost of the removal. The "up to" $15k probably won't cover the cost to the state to have this removed. This was intentional and sets a bad precedent for people that don't know what do with their useless old boats. You can't just leave this thing at the curb and hope the garbage men will take it away. 

Great picture though lol

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/boat-beached-jones-beach-abandoned-1.32657038

Well supposedly the tow line broke but who knows. The last I heard the state may keep it.

On 6/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, uofmiami said:

Anybody have any lightning bug (firefly) sightings yet?  Figure after next week they should start appearing since it’ll be warmer and dryer. Just curious if anyone has seen any yet regardless. 

I noticed alot this past weekend walking thru parkchester in the bx. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 5:03 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Imagine we had this pattern during DJFM!? First 100” NYC winter. My actual dream

I want that too, if we had a few things fall into place we could have actually had that in 09-10 and 10-11.  I read about a couple of 100" NYC/PHL winters from back in the early and mid 1800s in the Pennsylvania Weather Book.

On 6/24/2019 at 3:54 PM, bluewave said:

This reminds me of how hard it was for people to get off the water in time during the Labor Day Derecho In 98.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EngelWX/status/1141870506242662400

Was the derecho the bigger deal or the F2 tornado that hit close by?

By the way I am still a bit confused of the F scale vs the EF scale, why did they not simply reassign the old F scale numbers and retain the name instead of categorizing older tornadoes with an obsolete scale that no longer exists?  Like the way they changed the SS scale for hurricanes they could have changed the mph ranges for the F scale instead of having to create a whole new scale, and then the F scale could apply to both old and new tornadoes.

On 6/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, uofmiami said:

Anybody have any lightning bug (firefly) sightings yet?  Figure after next week they should start appearing since it’ll be warmer and dryer. Just curious if anyone has seen any yet regardless. 

Yes,  seeing some in Carteret. 

On 6/24/2019 at 1:38 PM, forkyfork said:

time for the mass summer exodus now that we've flipped to above normal

On 6/24/2019 at 3:39 PM, JerseyWx said:

Best time of the year on the boards.

True. At least we aren’t bogged down by weenies asking about school closings, what time the models come out, and “What does the latest run show for my driveway?”

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

True. At least we aren’t bogged down by weenies asking about school closings, what time the models come out, and “What does the latest run show for my driveway?”

Speaking of school closings, my kids have school for 1 hour tomorrow, to make the requisite amount of school days. 1 friggin hour. Thats barely enough time for me to drop them off and go get a bacon egg n cheese before i gotta go pick them up again. What a waste. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Speaking of school closings, my kids have school for 1 hour tomorrow, to make the requisite amount of school days. 1 friggin hour. Thats barely enough time for me to drop them off and go get a bacon egg n cheese before i gotta go pick them up again. What a waste. 

It’s never a waste when there’s a bacon egg and cheese involved. As always ......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Exactly, that's the main reason why I like it.  A lot less chaos to say the least.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Was the derecho the bigger deal or the F2 tornado that hit close by?

By the way I am still a bit confused of the F scale vs the EF scale, why did they not simply reassign the old F scale numbers and retain the name instead of categorizing older tornadoes with an obsolete scale that no longer exists?  Like the way they changed the SS scale for hurricanes they could have changed the mph ranges for the F scale instead of having to create a whole new scale, and then the F scale could apply to both old and new tornadoes.

They were both the strongest of their class for the South Shore of Nassau. 

An intense line of severe thunderstorms oriented from north to south developed during Labor Day afternoon ahead of a strong approaching cold front. As the storms moved east at 40 to 50 mph, they produced high winds, large hail, and an isolated tornado. Wind gusts from 60 to 80 mph downed many trees and power lines throughout the area. The cost estimates of damage included above are preliminary figures submitted by the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management.

In Richmond County, the following peak wind gusts were reported: 80 mph at Great Kills, the Verranzano Bridge, and in Richmond. High winds downed trees and caused a building to collapse in Richmond. One tree fell on and injured a man in Richmond.

In New York County (Manhattan), high winds caused a building to collapse.

In the Bronx, high winds downed a tree that fell on 3 people resulting in 1 death and 2 injuries in the courtyard of the Edenwald Houses at 1135 East 229th Street.

In Kings County (Brooklyn), high winds downed and uprooted several large trees. One tree fell on and injured a person at East 229th Street. Five to 6-foot diameter trees were uprooted east of Coney Island in the Gerritsen Beach Section, where 3 funnel clouds were also sighted and a firefighter was injured from large hail. Large trees also fell on and damaged cars in Bensonhurst.

In Queens County, a peak wind gust of 62 mph was measured at both LaGuardia Airport and at JFK Airport.

In Nassau County, the following peak wind gusts were reported: 75 mph in Farmingdale, 60 mph in Port Washington and Mineola and 58 mph at Farmingdale Republic Airport. High winds downed large tree limbs at Rockville Center, Baldwin, and Oceanside and downed trees in Long Beach, Massapequa, and Valley Stream. One-inch diameter hail dented cars and covered the ground in Farmingdale.

In Suffolk County, high winds overturned many boats in the Great South Bay, downed large trees in West Babylon and Rocky Point and downed large tree limbs in Wading River. One person died when a thunderstorm wind gust capsized a 19 foot sail boat in Great South Bay near Copiague. A Centerport woman, 36, and her daughter, 3, were injured when a tree fell on them in the parking lot of the Ground Round Restaurant and CVS on Fort Salonga Road. The following peak wind gusts were reported: 72 mph in Babylon and 65 mph in Fire Island.

The NWS confirmed that an F2 tornado was responsible for significant damage that occurred in Lynbrook. Most of the village received damage from straight line winds up to 80 mph, that was associated with a severe squall line. Downed trees covered the village with some structural damage where the F2 tornado touched down.

The major path of damage was from the northwest section of Lynbrook east-southeast to the southeast section of the village. Funnel clouds were observed from near the intersection of Marshall Ave. and Burtis Street and to the southeast. A tornado was first sighted by two eyewitnesses on Hampton Place. It rose and touched down several times: Second, near Winter Street and across Glover Circle; Third, along Peninsula Blvd. between Earle and Benton Avenues; and Fourth, as a weak F2 near the intersection of Rocklyn Ave. and Merrick Road. It moved across the Long Island Railroad Tracks and Sunrise Highway before it finally dissipated.

More than three hundred trees were blown over, many on houses and cars. Six people received minor injuries. Four of these were in "The Fun Zone" on Rocklyn Avenue. One woman was slightly injured by a tree that fell on her car. One police officer was also injured.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Don't they have to be in school for a certain amount of time for it to count?  I thought it was 4 hours?  Maybe NJ is different?

1 hour ago, frankdp23 said:

Don't they have to be in school for a certain amount of time for it to count?  I thought it was 4 hours?  Maybe NJ is different?

Within the last couple years, I believe, NY started counting hours of instruction instead of days. The benefit is that you can still add to the yearly total on days when you don't reach the 5 or 5.5-hour threshold. The drawback is that if you aren't extremely careful in managing this new flexibility, you can end up short 1 hour at the end of the year...

• Thanks 1

NYS use to be 180 days, but they could apply superintendent days to it too as I recall.  They changed it I think a year or so ago, after so many snow days one year & not enough make-up days in the school calendar, so that hours are now used instead of days.

18 hours ago, BxEngine said:

That's just ridiculous and a total waste of everyone's time all around.  They should have extended two days 30 minutes instead IMO.

• Like 1