• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 Banter Thread

doncat

You can’t believe how much wider they made the beach in Long Beach. New dunes now cover the area in front of the boardwalk with connecting walkovers. FEMA compliant houses are also popping up all over the place. Reminds me of the raised homes in places like Galveston and Cape Hatteras. It’s the way to go in order to avoid steep flood insurance rates and future flooding. But the new homes are very expensive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

You can’t believe how much wider they made the beach in Long Beach. New dunes now cover the area in front of the boardwalk with connecting walkovers. FEMA compliant houses are also popping up all over the place. Reminds me of the raised homes in places like Galveston and Cape Hatteras. It’s the way to go in order to avoid steep flood insurance rates and future flooding. But the new homes are very expensive.

They have a plan to extend the land around Manhattan too.  I forgot by how many yards, but it was announced a few weeks ago.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

They have a plan to extend the land around Manhattan too.  I forgot by how many yards, but it was announced a few weeks ago.

I am really happy how Long Beach found a way to bounce back after Sandy. The whole oceanfront has changed pretty dramatically with the major beach reconstruction. I couldn’t believe how different things looked when I visited recently. Plenty of new restaurants and boardwalk concessions recently opened up. Seems like a big influx of new residents from NYC after Sandy. I guess all the new FEMA compliant construction was an opening for newcomers to move there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I am really happy how Long Beach found a way to bounce back after Sandy. The whole oceanfront has changed pretty dramatically with the major beach reconstruction. I couldn’t believe how different things looked when I visited recently. Plenty of new restaurants and boardwalk concessions recently opened up. Seems like a big influx of new residents from NYC after Sandy. I guess all the new FEMA compliant construction was an opening for newcomers to move there. 

Yes, it's amazing to see the recovery!  I hope they are doing the same thing for the Jersey Shore and the Rockaways too!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Still not all the way there for sure though. The fact that a 40k person city (higher in the summer) still has no hospital is a major problem. Parking is even worse now from all the raised houses and additional no-parking driveways. The bay side is still as vulnerable to flooding as ever, and that's how most homes were flooded by Sandy (mine included) since that side of the city is lower in elevation than by the ocean. In many nor'easters it's a joke how much flooding there still is from the bay. The beach side is much better though. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Still not all the way there for sure though. The fact that a 40k person city (higher in the summer) still has no hospital is a major problem. Parking is even worse now from all the raised houses and additional no-parking driveways. The bay side is still as vulnerable to flooding as ever, and that's how most homes were flooded by Sandy (mine included) since that side of the city is lower in elevation than by the ocean. In many nor'easters it's a joke how much flooding there still is from the bay. The beach side is much better though. 

That’s a relic of the initial construction of the island. The dunes were bulldozed down raising the elevation of the beach side. The bay side was built onto salt marsh. It was a disaster waiting to happen 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s a relic of the initial construction of the island. The dunes were bulldozed down raising the elevation of the beach side. The bay side was built onto salt marsh. It was a disaster waiting to happen 

The army corps is working on a plan for the back bays. But flood gates have plenty of environmental concerns. Such a flood control system would be big bucks.

https://www.riverkeeper.org/blogs/ecology/storm-surge-barriers-for-ny-harbor-threaten-life-of-the-hudson-river/

https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Nassau-County-Back-Bays-Study/

https://patch.com/new-york/longbeach/army-corps-holding-public-meetings-back-bays-study

The Army Corps released a status report on April 30 which includes information on work completed to date, potential alternatives under consideration and details on next steps. Some of the measures that will be discussed at the public meetings include structural solutions such as storm surge barriers, tide gates, levees and floodwalls; non-structural solutions such as elevating homes; and natural features such as marsh restoration and the creation of living shorelines. The final plan may also include recommendations of policy items such as floodplain management and Community Rating System enhancement opportunities.

34 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It will happen in the younger board members life times. I hope I get to see it happen.

it's a matter of when, not if. btw what's a good annual that resists root rot? the soil here is heavy clay and it's a pain in the ass

4 hours ago, forkyfork said:

it's a matter of when, not if. btw what's a good annual that resists root rot? the soil here is heavy clay and it's a pain in the ass

Not a gardener, but the Goog suggests verbena, marigold and geraniums.  

The current weather is killing me, I do like hot weather but that’s not even the kill it’s the lack of good weather to start any outdoor projects. Last year by this time I already had 1000 miles on my bike I have less then 100 this year because I don’t like to ride in rain or get caught in it for that matter. Cleaning is a nightmare.

We’ve had no BBQs yet. I’m sure September will be hot and beautiful though lmao. 

Anyway anyone one want to predict how many 90 degree days we’ll see this month, I’m guessing maybe 1 if we’re lucky. Wasn’t 96 or 97 one of those summers where we only had 9 or 10 90s the whole summer?