Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
June Mid-Long Range

showmethesnow

4 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

Anything about July? 

eta: looks like the year without a summer

We've had more than normal snakes this  year, and last week my wife called it the year of the snake.

I reminded her that the last "year of the snake" led to the "winter of the snow shovel".(2009).

Silly, unscientific, banter, but I just wanted it here in writing. Just in case.

• Like 2

While there is no big time heat signal anytime soon, the temperatures will still slowly recover back into the upper 80s after say June 15 when the pattern starts to relax and the cooler than normal anomalies become transient. Average high here in late June is about 89.

23 hours ago, frd said:

- SOI for weeks plus warm season blocking, etc  and you have this - 

@showmethesnow so far so good but a ways to go to see what August and September bring temp-wise.

I still feel we don't go extreme record breaking heat this summer. Very muggy, yes,  super hot for days on end, not buying that. 

Wonder if any correlation to the solar min and this blocking, or simply the role of warm seasonal forces acting on the polar regions producing this outcome as mentioned previously in this thread.  

By the way, I feel the EPS is impressive for this time of year. Whether this forecast is correct time will tell, however, the signals do support it though. 

Still thinking below average summer temp wise. But starting to believe that late summer into fall we see an extended period of above to well above temps relative to average for that time of year. That would mean well below avg for most of the summer and we are seeing a good start in that regards. But as you said summer is just kicking off so there is plenty of time to see things change. 

12 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Shift the cold anomalies east and put above to well above into the central us and you have my thoughts.  Also think the deep se (Florida, Georgia, s Carolina, and possibly n Carolina) all see some bouts of somewhat significant heat.

It's going to be interesting to see if we ever verify a "hot" summer.  The Deep South and Lower Plains have experienced an anomalously wet spring which may mean they don't bake and can't advect warmer air or EMLs east into us.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It's going to be interesting to see if we ever verify a "hot" summer.  The Deep South and Lower Plains have experienced an anomalously wet spring which may mean they don't bake and can't advect warmer air or EMLs east into us.

That has to be considered as well though I think that will play a bigger role downstream through our region. Would be curious as to what the source region (SW, N Mexico) for the central US looks in regards to precip anomalies. They were running wet as well? If that is the case then yeah, I think that would cap any meaningful heat through the plains. 

On 6/6/2019 at 5:09 PM, C.A.P.E. said:

Warm season NA blocking :yikes:

Can't wait for the models to tease with advertised blocking that never verifies for the winter months. It has become a tradition.

Don't worry, we'll have a raging +NAO just in time for winter. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Don't worry, we'll have a raging +NAO just in time for winter. 

That's fine with me because I believe nothing is my new motto. I will not believe or expect anything this winter after the last one. The weather will do as it pleases. 

But, yes, I can see the NAO being positive for the winter, as it seems the new norm. Why change now. There is some chatter that seems to indicate it is harder to get a -NAO in the winter. But, much easier in the period March to June, or at least is have been the last few years.      

I know @Eskimo Joe spoke about the -NAO but of you were to believe the progs and the EPS, we may have a very significant -NAO event this coming week and it may last. The EPS is nuts in it's projection for this upcoming week's event.  

As I mentioned yesterday,  June may outdo even the record -NAO of May 2019. The implications may carry over for the entire month of June making it end up normal to below normal. No extreme heat of the horizon for a long time. 

If any one were to be able to forecast the NAO correctly and apply it to the commodities market and long range forecasts that person would be very famous indeed. Imagine the possibilities for it's use.    

1 hour ago, frd said:

I know @Eskimo Joe spoke about the -NAO but of you were to believe the progs and the EPS, we may have a very significant -NAO event this coming week and it may last. The EPS is nuts in it's projection for this upcoming week's event.  

As I mentioned yesterday,  June may outdo even the record -NAO of May 2019. The implications may carry over for the entire month of June making it end up normal to below normal. No extreme heat of the horizon for a long time. 

If any one were to be able to forecast the NAO correctly and apply it to the commodities market and long range forecasts that person would be very famous indeed. Imagine the possibilities for it's use.    

Too late, Judah Cohen has already mastered this.

• Haha 4

I imagine you can use this data/trend/forecast and make the case for several various outcomes.

One might be a cooler summer, no extreme heat, another could be a dry and warm late summer. 

Another could be normal rainfall near the coast and our area and dry in the far Western zones. 

Just computer modeling and interesting to look at 

Ah..... the El Nino ..... passing the Spring barrier and looking for more accurate long-term Nino forecasts for the Fall.

Still way to early , but nonetheless the Euro implies it does last in some fashion through 2019.

5 hours ago, frd said:

Ah..... the El Nino ..... passing the Spring barrier and looking for more accurate long-term Nino forecasts for the Fall.

Still way to early , but nonetheless the Euro implies it does last in some fashion through 2019.

Yeah, way too early to be overly concerned about the ENSO forecast. One thing I do see is that it looks as if roughly a third of the members are a neutral (+.5 to -.5) with only one member flirting with a Nina. I can deal with a neutral just don't want to see members start moving towards a Nina.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:56 PM, showmethesnow said:

Yeah, way too early to be overly concerned about the ENSO forecast. One thing I do see is that it looks as if roughly a third of the members are a neutral (+.5 to -.5) with only one member flirting with a Nina. I can deal with a neutral just don't want to see members start moving towards a Nina.

Would love to see a forecast moving toward that elusive pit of gold that is a moderate Niño...Ya know, is is possible to like...save ourselves the seasonal angst and just predict what the winter will look like based on past El nino/la nina/neutral histories? I mean the only true scenario that can go one way or the other is a neutral, right? The rest seem predictable:

Weak El Nino: basically will look like what we saw last winter: some snow, but just about "average"--no "big blows" per se, nice scenery snow but nothing major.

Mod El Niño: Game on.

Strong El Niño: Either one big blizzard or nothing at all.

Neutral: Keep tracking because this can be boom or bust.

La Niña: Forget it. Don't look at models, forecasts, etc...move to ocean city and New Jersey and further north in order to shovel, lol

I mean...is there any point in considering any other factor once we know what the ENSO is gonna be?