Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,508
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald
    Joined
George BM

June Banter 2019

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I just use a sprinkler in the evening and move it around. Not very scientific about it lol. I don't have much grass anymore so its not a huge area to water. Problem is with all the trees it quickly parches the surface and starves the grass- combined with the brutal sun beating down on specific areas that don't get much shade. The burned areas are pretty spotty because of that.

Speaking of the sun being brutal , I opened  the door that faces East to water my wife's plant on ther porch and wow the metal trim of the screen door must be over 120 degrees. Even the morning sun packs a punch.  And what your saying makes a lot of sense, my back grass,  where there are more trees starts to brown near the trees first,  then spreads to the center of the yard. Like you said,  they are sucking up water.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Over the last 30 years how many seasons were the Orioles competitive/made the playoffs? 6 maybe? Most of those years the Angelos family has owned the team. That needs to change.

I would have taken the over on that, but thinking about it, it might be only five times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I would have taken the over on that, but thinking about it, it might be only five times.

Yep 5 playoff appearances. If I counted correctly, 8 seasons with a winning record since 1990.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yep 5 playoff appearances. If I counted correctly, 8 seasons with a winning record since 1990.

Dont forget the why not year 89' :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, losetoa6 said:

Dont forget the why not year 89' :ph34r:

 3 decades of futility is enough lol. but going back the full 30 years including this season, yeah it would be 9. That was a fun season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

 3 decades of futility is enough lol. but going back the full 30 years including this season, yeah it would be 9. That was a fun season.

I remember the 88' season of losing 23 or 24 in a row to start.  My dad didnt care ( still attended a lot of games that year ))...my brother and I still made the long walk from our house to memorial stadium for 3 or 4 games that April lol

Edit : I think it was officially 21 losses in a row but still awful lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mappy said:

The Laurel Highlands area in southwestern PA is beautiful. The drive out west was great, even drove through a thunderstorm. 

That is where my wife and I are considering moving to in 2 1/2 years (Inland Maine is a consideration as well). Some of the higher elevations avg. 150+ inches a year with a season 5 or 6 years ago where they had over 300 inches. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

 3 decades of futility is enough lol. but going back the full 30 years including this season, yeah it would be 9. That was a fun season.

 

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I remember the 88' season of losing 23 or 24 in a row to start.  My dad didnt care ( still attended a lot of games that year ))...my brother and I still made the long walk from our house to memorial stadium for 3 or 4 games that April lol

Edit : I think it was officially 21 losses in a row but still awful lol

Was a big time Orioles fan growing up and in baseball in general. I even remember watching the early playoff/world series games between the Orioles/A's/Reds/Pirates in the early 70's when I got hooked on it. Brooks was my hero and I would wear his number 5 throughout the years in little league. I feel sorry for the kids now that will never experience their hero staying with the same team throughout their career as when I was young. Started losing interest though when the players started holding out/striking for more money and moving from team to team hunting for a payday. Reggie Jackson comes to mind on when the money started becoming an issue. Then of course Angelos bought the team and the Orioles were never the same afterwards (cheap bastard)  Then you had the Yankees that were allowed to buy their yearly playoff/world series appearance which irked me no end. The 1995 player strike I think is what really ended it for me. Found I watched very little afterwards and it dawned on me how little I cared when the Orioles made the 96 playoffs and I watched maybe 10 minutes of a game and that was it. Haven't intentionally watched a game since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@showmethesnow yep...I definitely get where you are coming from and agree to a lesser degree I guess but my passion for baseball goes deep and I always find myself tuning in often even after something pisses me off . I just keep coming back lol..for the gut punch I suppose and I keep on getting back up:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was always a much bigger NFL fan than anything else. I was more of a fair weather baseball fan, mostly because there is just too much to do in summer other than sitting around watching well over 100 games. I am not as diehard as I used to be, but still will probably watch most if not all Ravens games. On that topic, they look to be potentially pretty exciting this year barring major injury. Very young and athletic, and fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only Maryland covered only the eastern shore and not the western areas, this would definitely be in the top 10s for worst summers in terms of humidity:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/us-states-worst-summers

We live in the dewpoint zone down here, which is mainly the Delmarva peninsula south of the fall line. This area from my experience has stifling humidity and hot temps in the summer over the past five years. Being surrounded by water on 2-3 sides, very low elevation, tons of agriculture and proximity to the ocean creates the perfect concoction for high dews down here. There's also a sh*t ton of forests that are basically flooded by stagnant puddles of water around here, creating a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Summers sure are getting worse down here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

If only Maryland covered only the eastern shore and not the western areas, this would definitely be in the top 10s for worst summers in terms of humidity:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/us-states-worst-summers

We live in the dewpoint zone down here, which is mainly the Delmarva peninsula south of the fall line. This area from my experience has stifling humidity and hot temps in the summer over the past five years. Being surrounded by water on 2-3 sides, very low elevation, tons of agriculture and proximity to the ocean creates the perfect concoction for high dews down here. There's also a sh*t ton of forests that are basically flooded by stagnant puddles of water around here, creating a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Summers sure are getting worse down here.

The origin of the high dew points in summer are not that localized. Its mostly a function of the larger scale synoptics. Not really much difference in temps/humidity until you get to places with some decent elevation, and even there it can get plenty stifling at this latitude this time of year when the pattern is "right". Also those woodland wetlands are mostly seasonal and dry up as we get into early summer. Mine are gone. I larvacided in the Spring so the adult mosquito population is very small here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trees, covering weather stations so that they don't reach 90 since the Devonian period (385 million years ago).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

If only Maryland covered only the eastern shore and not the western areas, this would definitely be in the top 10s for worst summers in terms of humidity:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/us-states-worst-summers

We live in the dewpoint zone down here, which is mainly the Delmarva peninsula south of the fall line. This area from my experience has stifling humidity and hot temps in the summer over the past five years. Being surrounded by water on 2-3 sides, very low elevation, tons of agriculture and proximity to the ocean creates the perfect concoction for high dews down here. There's also a sh*t ton of forests that are basically flooded by stagnant puddles of water around here, creating a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Summers sure are getting worse down here.

You think you live in the dewpoint zone!

We get our dewpoints from the Mighty Gulf of Mexico!

We have already had a few days in the upper 70s. The Gulf's just now clearing her throat!

All it takes is mid 70s dews plus a few streamer showers just like that we are in the low 80s dews! Talk about stifling! Sometimes, we can hit 84 dews. The heat indices get totally ridiculous at those dewpoint levels. Just the other day when we had 84/79 conditions at 8pm, I was checking out trash cans for standing water down here. Well, I found about five hundred mosquitoes in one, upended it ----- BIG MISTAKE! The skeeters were really pissed off at me, they remarked in mosquitoese, "There's that guy from Northern Va that loves snow that just moved down here! GET HIM!!!"

I ran for my life!!!

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back from a week camping - first up near Camden, Maine and then north of Saratoga Springs, NY at the base of the Adirondacks.

First time at either of those locations, and, well, my god. So, so gorgeous.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jebman said:

You think you live in the dewpoint zone!

We get our dewpoints from the Mighty Gulf of Mexico!

We have already had a few days in the upper 70s. The Gulf's just now clearing her throat!

All it takes is mid 70s dews plus a few streamer showers just like that we are in the low 80s dews! Talk about stifling! Sometimes, we can hit 84 dews. The heat indices get totally ridiculous at those dewpoint levels. Just the other day when we had 84/79 conditions at 8pm, I was checking out trash cans for standing water down here. Well, I found about five hundred mosquitoes in one, upended it ----- BIG MISTAKE! The skeeters were really pissed off at me, they remarked in mosquitoese, "There's that guy from Northern Va that loves snow that just moved down here! GET HIM!!!"

I ran for my life!!!

That's nothing -- I was in Dagobah a few weeks ago, and the temperature was about 105 degrees with a dewpoint of 95. I had to wear a respirator and ice-suit so I wouldn't drown just by breathing the air. Couldn't stay more than 10 minutes as my lungs started to fill up and had to be taken across the freakin' galaxy to a hospital. Luckily I survived.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×