• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald

June Banter 2019

Hello all!

We are into Illinois now. Sun is coming out and may get some action later in Iowa. 

So far having a great time and getting off the Highway. Just saw a Rotary Jail. It was pretty neat. Heading to a Western Store in Urbana/Champaign IL as my husband wants some boots. 

The wind and solar farms out here are amazing!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

@C.A.P.E.

That's a sweet pit and surround scaping . 

What's the dark square piece material on the sides.?

Kind of a long story. I love natural stone materials, so I wanted to face the concrete block with slate. Hard to find good quality gauged 12 x 12 slate though. I found exactly what I wanted and ordered 2 boxes of 10 on Wayfair. It arrived with some pieces chipped and broken, which was to be expected. The worst part was the ones that were "good", were mostly nowhere near square. They were parallelograms lol. Horrible cuts. They gave me a refund. Anyway I could not find the gray slate I wanted anywhere, so I settled for a slate-like look porcelain tile from lowes. Turned out ok and should hold up just as well.

19 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Kind of a long story. I love natural stone materials, so I wanted to face the concrete block with slate. Hard to find good quality gauged 12 x 12 slate though. I found exactly what I wanted and ordered 2 boxes of 10 on Wayfair. It arrived with some pieces chipped and broken, which was to be expected. The worst part was the ones that were "good", were mostly nowhere near square. They were parallelograms lol. Horrible cuts. They gave me a refund. Anyway I could not find the gray slate I wanted anywhere, so I settled for a slate-like look porcelain tile from lowes. Turned out ok and should hold up just as well.

The Porcelain Looks sharp. They actually look larger then 12x12 in the picture.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

That looks absolutely awesome. I’d like something like that when I get a house. Only concern is it getting in the way of a pristine snow covered backyard :lol: 

15 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Coming my way out here in IA

DDAE180C-B3A8-4CBF-8DAA-3A15CEF4427E.png

Nice! Hope you get some great nighttime lightning.

Dale City has a cold dewpoint of 54 degrees.

Buda has a milder dewpoint of 77. Its HUMID out there tonight!

This, is only the Beginning. It will be high summer down here well into early OCTOBER yuck.

The Mid Atlantic however is heading into what will likely turn out to be one of the coldest and snowiest winters in history, the formidable Winter of 2019-2020.

Dont make me have to come up there and show y'all how to shovel snow in November!

8 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That looks absolutely awesome. I’d like something like that when I get a house. Only concern is it getting in the way of a pristine snow covered backyard :lol: 

Thanks.

I can understand that, but around here (unfortunately) that's not too high on the list of concerns lol.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Thanks.

I can understand that, but around here (unfortunately) that's not too high on the list of concerns lol.

What are you talking about? I thought you were jackpot city 3 out of the last 4 years. :D

Nice landscape and pit by the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

What are you talking about? I thought you were jackpot city 3 out of the last 4 years. :D

Nice landscape and pit by the way.

I only remember last winter :yikes:

I was pretty much at average the 2 winters before that- a bit above one of those 2. What really made those winters were the Jan chases at the beach. Without that, completely ordinary and boring stretch in my yard the last few years.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

What really made those winters were the Jan chases at the beach. Without that, completely ordinary and boring stretch in my yard the last few years.

Please post those pics again here......they were great !

I think at one point back two years ago Maue had  the satelite image of when the powerful storm was wrapping off the coast. Was so impressive to behold. Missed it here by not much.  Some good years down the beach for snow as you mentioned.     

2 hours ago, frd said:

I think at one point back two years ago Maue had  the satelite image of when the powerful storm was wrapping off the coast. Was so impressive to behold. Missed it here by not much.  Some good years down the beach for snow as you mentioned.     

The original "BOMB CYCLONE".

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I think that thing bombed to 950 mb ish if I recall . I loved tracking that beast even though I got el zippo from it lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frd said:

Here are a few-

bomb.thumb.jpg.041503f483fa84ca08fd47b5d8836d6c.jpg

dig.jpg.a5e975fd0d6483b99c1556caa1c63454.jpg

beach.jpg.367ce87aa6a4b14151cc3325f19890a8.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I’ll always remember Ocean City for that one. One of my favorite chases.

37 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I think that thing bombed to 950 mb ish if I recall . I loved tracking that beast even though I got el zippo from it lol. 

Unbelievable. Miller A with a perfect track and a 56mb drop in 24 hours and barely a flake in DC. 

Man...when I think about all the catastrophes I’ve tracked over the last three years...it just..

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d0fc0fd79664b5751

It’s just not fair :cry:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Do you know that the NAO hasn't been positive for 1 day since April?

Don't worry- a long duration, sustained +NAO will lock in around mid November. Like clockwork.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Don't worry- a long duration, sustained +NAO will lock in around mid November. Like clockwork.

Thanks for posting those images @C.A.P.E. I love looking at them in any season.  As you age. ( me here ) I treasure experiences with storms more and more. 

For example my brother-in-law and I went to North Wildwood to body board yesterday. It was a blast !

Despite the wave forecast of 1 foot , LOL  if you go to 10th St where there is not a sand bar , the waves are suprisingly good and the off shore West winds scooped up the waves.  Had the swells been higher would have been a awesome day.  

Ah, lost my train of thought, sorry.

As we leave my brother-in-law turns to the ocean and takes in one final look, he said, " I love days like this, it reminds of my youth, but also that you need to appreciate times like this even more once past 50. Only so many years left that my body can take this abuse, but I love it . " 

Thanks again CAPE !       

• Like 2

Love those spectacular snow pics as I reflect on how mild and warm today has been in MY particular neck of the woods lol, It's 740pm CDT, 91 degrees with a nice 79 dewpoint, really not all that bad for mid June here, feels kind of like 109 degrees. I was out in that beautiful spring weather all day today doing some relaxing chores lol.

That snow looks nice right now.

Take a very good look at those snow pictures.

Because this upcoming winter, the 2019-2020 Winter, THAT, is exactly what Washington DC is going to look like. For weeks. It's only 25 weeks away. Get your Jebman Shovels NOW!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Because this upcoming winter, the 2019-2020 Winter, THAT, is exactly what Washington DC is going to look like. For weeks. It's only 25 weeks away. Get your Jebman Shovels NOW!day 

I am so confident in your upbeat vibes Jebman,  I will go ahead and get an off-season snow blower tune - up.  :D 

It will take an hour just to remove the cobwebs, and mouse nests......:thumbsdown:   LOL, yes, it has been that long........    I am ready for the eventual next BIG winter. 

3 hours ago, frd said:

I am so confident in your upbeat vibes Jebman,  I will go ahead and get an off-season snow blower tune - up.  :D 

It will take an hour just to remove the cobwebs, and mouse nests......:thumbsdown:   LOL, yes, it has been that long........    I am ready for the eventual next BIG winter. 

The next BIG Winter for snow and cold, is THIS UPCOMING WINTER in the Mid Atlantic, and Washington DC will resemble many communities in northern Maine for weeks.

3 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

We made it to our first destination at a Guest Ranch in Interior SD just outside the Badlands National Park. Storms to our North. Absolutely jaw dropping scenery!!

6E50B652-7312-4126-97DF-53AD66E99B82.png

D2FD28D4-8ADE-4D95-89E2-4AF6143061C6.jpeg

Yes! I'm so excited for you! 

Badlands is just extraordinary. 

If I lived in Hampton roads I could have my 7 - Eleven Big Gulp or Slurpee delivered right  to mby...lol. :lol:  ( per CNN). As kids we drank a ton of those hugeeee double gulps filled with mountain dew or coke . No kid was drinking bottled water lol.