Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Banter 2019

George BM

12 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I ran the sprinkler the last 2 nights. Despite over 5.5" for the month, my soil is now parched. Doesn't take more than a few days without rain this time of year. And nothing more than widely scattered low probability chances over the next week.

I am not going to water,  did last July and all I got was fungus and no real benefit. They say you need to decide one way or another to water and keep watering or let it go dormant. 

I believe the ag sites states that a grass can go dormant and survive 21 days with no water, but at that point you may need to water the grass if even for the opportuity for it to come back after significant rainfall.  

How much do you water CAPE ? Do you use a timer and or a can to collect the water to see how much you put down? 

Experienced the best storm of my life out here in SD last night. I have video of it coming in but it will not load up as it is too big. I do have it on my FB page if anyone wants to friend me. Send a message and I will reveal my secret decoder name. Started around 9:30pm 

The lightning was non stop and the inflow and gust front WOW! After the cell went through with an absolute gully wash for about 10 min. On the back side the inflow was so strong the house we are staying in was making sounds and the wind prompted me to look out the window in the flashes and check radar. The cell pushed east and formed a bowed line. I could see lightning till 2am on the horizon. We had another cell develop right over us around 2am also. 

• Like 5

Put some long, red streamers in the garden along with aluminum foil squares to keep the birds away.  Suspended along lines of wire ...They already ate two cherry tomatoes. 

Any ideas to keep the birds away guys  ? 

And, they are stealing my straw to make nests.  I can't win :thumbsdown: 

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Put some long, red streamers in the garden along with aluminum foil squares to keep the birds away.  Suspended along lines of wire ...They already ate two cherry tomatoes. 

Any ideas to keep the birds away guys  ? 

And, they are stealing my straw to make nests.  I can't win :thumbsdown: 

I lost a good bit of straw back in spring when I grew grass again. And yesterday I came home to my strawberry patch munched almost to the ground......

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, frd said:

I am not going to water,  did last July and all I got was fungus and no real benefit. They say you need to decide one way or another to water and keep watering or let it go dormant. 

I believe the ag sites states that a grass can go dormant and survive 21 days with no water, but at that point you may need to water the grass if even for the opportuity for it to come back after significant rainfall.  

How much do you water CAPE ? Do you use a timer and or a can to collect the water to see how much you put down? 

I just use a sprinkler in the evening and move it around. Not very scientific about it lol. I don't have much grass anymore so its not a huge area to water. Problem is with all the trees it quickly parches the surface and starves the grass- combined with the brutal sun beating down on specific areas that don't get much shade. The burned areas are pretty spotty because of that.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I just use a sprinkler in the evening and move it around. Not very scientific about it lol. I don't have much grass anymore so its not a huge area to water. Problem is with all the trees it quickly parches the surface and starves the grass- combined with the brutal sun beating down on specific areas that don't get much shade. The burned areas are pretty spotty because of that.

Speaking of the sun being brutal , I opened  the door that faces East to water my wife's plant on ther porch and wow the metal trim of the screen door must be over 120 degrees. Even the morning sun packs a punch.  And what your saying makes a lot of sense, my back grass,  where there are more trees starts to brown near the trees first,  then spreads to the center of the yard. Like you said,  they are sucking up water.   

5 hours ago, mappy said:

The Laurel Highlands area in southwestern PA is beautiful. The drive out west was great, even drove through a thunderstorm. 

That is where my wife and I are considering moving to in 2 1/2 years (Inland Maine is a consideration as well). Some of the higher elevations avg. 150+ inches a year with a season 5 or 6 years ago where they had over 300 inches. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

3 decades of futility is enough lol. but going back the full 30 years including this season, yeah it would be 9. That was a fun season.

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I remember the 88' season of losing 23 or 24 in a row to start.  My dad didnt care ( still attended a lot of games that year ))...my brother and I still made the long walk from our house to memorial stadium for 3 or 4 games that April lol

Edit : I think it was officially 21 losses in a row but still awful lol

Was a big time Orioles fan growing up and in baseball in general. I even remember watching the early playoff/world series games between the Orioles/A's/Reds/Pirates in the early 70's when I got hooked on it. Brooks was my hero and I would wear his number 5 throughout the years in little league. I feel sorry for the kids now that will never experience their hero staying with the same team throughout their career as when I was young. Started losing interest though when the players started holding out/striking for more money and moving from team to team hunting for a payday. Reggie Jackson comes to mind on when the money started becoming an issue. Then of course Angelos bought the team and the Orioles were never the same afterwards (cheap bastard)  Then you had the Yankees that were allowed to buy their yearly playoff/world series appearance which irked me no end. The 1995 player strike I think is what really ended it for me. Found I watched very little afterwards and it dawned on me how little I cared when the Orioles made the 96 playoffs and I watched maybe 10 minutes of a game and that was it. Haven't intentionally watched a game since.

I was always a much bigger NFL fan than anything else. I was more of a fair weather baseball fan, mostly because there is just too much to do in summer other than sitting around watching well over 100 games. I am not as diehard as I used to be, but still will probably watch most if not all Ravens games. On that topic, they look to be potentially pretty exciting this year barring major injury. Very young and athletic, and fast.

If only Maryland covered only the eastern shore and not the western areas, this would definitely be in the top 10s for worst summers in terms of humidity:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/us-states-worst-summers

We live in the dewpoint zone down here, which is mainly the Delmarva peninsula south of the fall line. This area from my experience has stifling humidity and hot temps in the summer over the past five years. Being surrounded by water on 2-3 sides, very low elevation, tons of agriculture and proximity to the ocean creates the perfect concoction for high dews down here. There's also a sh*t ton of forests that are basically flooded by stagnant puddles of water around here, creating a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Summers sure are getting worse down here.

26 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

If only Maryland covered only the eastern shore and not the western areas, this would definitely be in the top 10s for worst summers in terms of humidity:

We live in the dewpoint zone down here, which is mainly the Delmarva peninsula south of the fall line. This area from my experience has stifling humidity and hot temps in the summer over the past five years. Being surrounded by water on 2-3 sides, very low elevation, tons of agriculture and proximity to the ocean creates the perfect concoction for high dews down here. There's also a sh*t ton of forests that are basically flooded by stagnant puddles of water around here, creating a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Summers sure are getting worse down here.

The origin of the high dew points in summer are not that localized. Its mostly a function of the larger scale synoptics. Not really much difference in temps/humidity until you get to places with some decent elevation, and even there it can get plenty stifling at this latitude this time of year when the pattern is "right". Also those woodland wetlands are mostly seasonal and dry up as we get into early summer. Mine are gone. I larvacided in the Spring so the adult mosquito population is very small here.

10 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

You think you live in the dewpoint zone!

We get our dewpoints from the Mighty Gulf of Mexico!

We have already had a few days in the upper 70s. The Gulf's just now clearing her throat!

All it takes is mid 70s dews plus a few streamer showers just like that we are in the low 80s dews! Talk about stifling! Sometimes, we can hit 84 dews. The heat indices get totally ridiculous at those dewpoint levels. Just the other day when we had 84/79 conditions at 8pm, I was checking out trash cans for standing water down here. Well, I found about five hundred mosquitoes in one, upended it ----- BIG MISTAKE! The skeeters were really pissed off at me, they remarked in mosquitoese, "There's that guy from Northern Va that loves snow that just moved down here! GET HIM!!!"

I ran for my life!!!

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, Jebman said:

You think you live in the dewpoint zone!

We get our dewpoints from the Mighty Gulf of Mexico!

We have already had a few days in the upper 70s. The Gulf's just now clearing her throat!

All it takes is mid 70s dews plus a few streamer showers just like that we are in the low 80s dews! Talk about stifling! Sometimes, we can hit 84 dews. The heat indices get totally ridiculous at those dewpoint levels. Just the other day when we had 84/79 conditions at 8pm, I was checking out trash cans for standing water down here. Well, I found about five hundred mosquitoes in one, upended it ----- BIG MISTAKE! The skeeters were really pissed off at me, they remarked in mosquitoese, "There's that guy from Northern Va that loves snow that just moved down here! GET HIM!!!"

I ran for my life!!!

That's nothing -- I was in Dagobah a few weeks ago, and the temperature was about 105 degrees with a dewpoint of 95. I had to wear a respirator and ice-suit so I wouldn't drown just by breathing the air. Couldn't stay more than 10 minutes as my lungs started to fill up and had to be taken across the freakin' galaxy to a hospital. Luckily I survived.

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic