Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Banter 2019

George BM

13 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

To take the social media discussion somewhere else, I’ve definitely seen a few of you guys on Reddit. One of us is even is(maybe was?) mod on a pretty important weather subreddit.

And some of us are linked up on Twitter. In conclusion, tough to stay anonymous.

this. i do try to keep peoples identities quiet, unless they themselves have made their name known to the forum. otherwise, i don't carry stuff over from one platform to the other. 

16 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

To take the social media discussion somewhere else, I’ve definitely seen a few of you guys on Reddit. One of us is even is(maybe was?) mod on a pretty important weather subreddit.

And some of us are linked up on Twitter. In conclusion, tough to stay anonymous.

Its funny, I'm on reddit but I have never ventured into any of the weather boards.  I get my fill here and on twitter.

Man, looking back at that old thread during the derecho...I'm seeing how many great  knowledgeable posters we've managed to chase away from this forum, smh Immaturity, "losing our crap" etc...and I'm guessing most of it happens during the winter. It's a shame, really...I'm already aiming to be better (I will be) because my own display was absolutely awful last year, and I feel bad for the part I played. (Wonder if a whole new forum needs to be made where the moding can be super strict and the knowledgeable posters don't have to be bombarded with idiocy, lol Guess that would be kinda hard to do, though...)

36 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Man, looking back at that old thread during the derecho...I'm seeing how many great  knowledgeable posters we've managed to chase away from this forum, smh Immaturity, "losing our crap" etc...and I'm guessing most of it happens during the winter. It's a shame, really...I'm already aiming to be better (I will be) because my own display was absolutely awful last year, and I feel bad for the part I played. (Wonder if a whole new forum needs to be made where the moding can be super strict and the knowledgeable posters don't have to be bombarded with idiocy, lol Guess that would be kinda hard to do, though...)

to be fair, some posters only post during winter, or if something exciting (like a derecho or hurricane) is coming during non-winter seasons. But yes, there are some who have left and left for good. 

1 minute ago, mappy said:

to be fair, some posters only post during winter, or if something exciting (like a derecho or hurricane) is coming during non-winter seasons. But yes, there are some who have left and left for good. 

And to expand upon that, I think that times change and some that posted back then have just moved on in life too.  Granted there is and has been a level of toxicity that happens especially in winter that has caused a good number to leave.  Lack of moderation or not enough is one of those factors as you and i know all too well.  Some have left in a huff, some just left and some are gone because the means in which they get their wx info has changed with the times, Twitter for example.

Why we stay?  Thats a good question.  Something must be wrong with us.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, some have left for good, but like you said for many April-October is the off-season.

I'm a bit different since tropical is my jam, and I'm pretty sure if we had an Isabel like track with a landfall over VA Beach we'd have plenty of activity. :weenie: 

oh people will filter back in if there is some anomalous wx event.  By that i mean tropical because those just don't happen around here.  Hence anomalous.  Like rare.  Like DC sports championships. Almost non existent.  There are more bigfoot sightings than MA cane threats.

Shall i go on?  :devilsmiley:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, some have left for good, but like you said for many April-October is the off-season.

I'm a bit different since tropical is my jam, and I'm pretty sure if we had an Isabel like track with a landfall over VA Beach we'd have plenty of activity. :weenie: 

or a derecho. we know some will meander back in when there is something to discuss. some of us are here all year long, some come and go. its the nature of the forum. 

• Like 2

We had a mini derecho of sorts (or a very strong MCS) come thru SEVA/NE NC late this afternoon. Winds were 60-70 in areas. Lots of tree damage. My personal experience was not nearly as good as what I saw and Northern Virginia during the derecho but very close. Scary winds preceded the precipitation. It was fantastic.

• Like 3

Hello all!

We are into Illinois now. Sun is coming out and may get some action later in Iowa. 

So far having a great time and getting off the Highway. Just saw a Rotary Jail. It was pretty neat. Heading to a Western Store in Urbana/Champaign IL as my husband wants some boots. 

The wind and solar farms out here are amazing!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

@C.A.P.E.

That's a sweet pit and surround scaping . 

What's the dark square piece material on the sides.?

Kind of a long story. I love natural stone materials, so I wanted to face the concrete block with slate. Hard to find good quality gauged 12 x 12 slate though. I found exactly what I wanted and ordered 2 boxes of 10 on Wayfair. It arrived with some pieces chipped and broken, which was to be expected. The worst part was the ones that were "good", were mostly nowhere near square. They were parallelograms lol. Horrible cuts. They gave me a refund. Anyway I could not find the gray slate I wanted anywhere, so I settled for a slate-like look porcelain tile from lowes. Turned out ok and should hold up just as well.

Dale City has a cold dewpoint of 54 degrees.

Buda has a milder dewpoint of 77. Its HUMID out there tonight!

This, is only the Beginning. It will be high summer down here well into early OCTOBER yuck.

The Mid Atlantic however is heading into what will likely turn out to be one of the coldest and snowiest winters in history, the formidable Winter of 2019-2020.

Dont make me have to come up there and show y'all how to shovel snow in November!

8 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That looks absolutely awesome. I’d like something like that when I get a house. Only concern is it getting in the way of a pristine snow covered backyard :lol: 

Thanks.

I can understand that, but around here (unfortunately) that's not too high on the list of concerns lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

What are you talking about? I thought you were jackpot city 3 out of the last 4 years. :D

Nice landscape and pit by the way.

I only remember last winter :yikes:

I was pretty much at average the 2 winters before that- a bit above one of those 2. What really made those winters were the Jan chases at the beach. Without that, completely ordinary and boring stretch in my yard the last few years.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

What really made those winters were the Jan chases at the beach. Without that, completely ordinary and boring stretch in my yard the last few years.

Please post those pics again here......they were great !

I think at one point back two years ago Maue had  the satelite image of when the powerful storm was wrapping off the coast. Was so impressive to behold. Missed it here by not much.  Some good years down the beach for snow as you mentioned.     

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic