Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Banter 2019

George BM

• WxUSAF pinned this topic

This is my first year with a house and I just moved in after the spring plant and the lawn's full of creeping charlie. Those yard nuts that I know exist in here, when should I start thinking of applying my herbicides and planting grass seed (I'm thinking of applying seed around labor day).?

Just my opinion, but you can spray weed killer now on any warm, calm day.  I'd use a one or two gallon tank sprayer and the concentrated Ortho Weed-b-gon that you have to mix yourself.  Just be sure to get the stuff that is safe for lawns and does not say "weed and grass killer."  Creeping Charlie is pretty stubborn and will probably take a couple of applications, but you can get rid of it.  Aerating (if possible) and seeding around Labor Day is perfect for this area.  If you get plenty of sun, I'd go with a tall fescue.

13 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Just my opinion, but you can spray weed killer now on any warm, calm day.  I'd use a one or two gallon tank sprayer and the concentrated Ortho Weed-b-gon that you have to mix yourself.  Just be sure to get the stuff that is safe for lawns and does not say "weed and grass killer."  Creeping Charlie is pretty stubborn and will probably take a couple of applications, but you can get rid of it.  Aerating (if possible) and seeding around Labor Day is perfect for this area.  If you get plenty of sun, I'd go with a tall fescue.

After fighting with my lawn for 15 years I have found my favorite grass seed to be the Penn State blend. Does well in both semi deep shade and full sun and seems tolerant of Heat/cold and dry/wet conditions. Also like the look of the carpet it lays. Father in law recommended it 4-5 years ago and haven't switched since.

• Thanks 1

Back at our trailer in the mountains for 4 days and it looks as if the weather will once again cooperate. Spent 5 days up  here 2 weeks ago and I don't think we have seen such a great stretch of weather in the 4 years we have been coming here. Besides 2 quick hits of rain we pretty much had all sun with temps in the mid 70s to 80. Temps at night were in the low to mid 60s which is great sleeping weather. It was a far cry from what we were used to where we were seeing rain 75+% of the time. 

6 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

After fighting with my lawn for 15 years I have found my favorite grass seed to be the Penn State blend. Does well in both semi deep shade and full sun and seems tolerant of Heat/cold and dry/wet conditions. Also like the look of the carpet it lays. Father in law recommended it 4-5 years ago and haven't switched since.

Thank you @showmethesnow !   I will keep that in mind as well this fall. The grass seed I put down seems to be struggling even with the copious amounts of water I give it. I have a lawn company that comes and sprays every 6 - 8 weeks. I'll ask them about it when they come and do their aeration and seeding this fall. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

Thank you @showmethesnow !   I will keep that in mind as well this fall. The grass seed I put down seems to be struggling even with the copious amounts of water I give it. I have a lawn company that comes and sprays every 6 - 8 weeks. I'll ask them about it when they come and do their aeration and seeding this fall. 

Know many don't have the luxury of doing this but I have found for myself that instead of drowning the seed and young grass in the morning that watering twice daily, morning and early afternoon seems to work the best. Especially on those hot dry days where the surface can dry out quickly and kill the fragile grass before it has a chance to establish any meaningful root system. I found this out the hard way. A couple of times no less. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Know many don't have the luxury of doing this but I have found for myself that instead of drowning the seed and young grass in the morning that watering twice daily, morning and early afternoon seems to work the best. Especially on those hot dry days where the surface can dry out quickly and kill the fragile grass before it has a chance to establish any meaningful root system. I found this out the hard way. A couple of times no less. 

This grass is on the curb on the other side of the sidewalk in front of my house. Unfortunately, the sprinkler system doesn't reach out that far. So, I have to manual water it. But I try to water once in the morning and once in the evening before sunset. The grass under the sprinkler system is fine of course. :-)

5 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

This grass is on the curb on the other side of the sidewalk in front of my house. Unfortunately, the sprinkler system doesn't reach out that far. So, I have to manual water it. But I try to water once in the morning and once in the evening before sunset. The grass under the sprinkler system is fine of course. :-)

The weather actually has been ideal for seeding this spring so there probably are no worries about watering twice. Just mentioned that because I believe you said something about reseeding again later in the summer when you might have to actually deal with heat and dry. Most people put straw down which helps to mitigate the soil drying out which you probably are already doing. 

The two times I got burned I did have straw down and I was watering twice daily. But like you my second watering was in the evening. But what happened was the heat and dry killed the couple of day old grass in a matter of hours around noon into the early afternoon. Talk about a grown man crying.  :)

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

The weather actually has been ideal for seeding this spring so there probably are no worries about watering twice. Just mentioned that because I believe you said something about reseeding again later in the summer when you might have to actually deal with heat and dry. Most people put straw down which helps to mitigate the soil drying out which you probably are already doing. 

The two times I got burned I did have straw down and I was watering twice daily. But like you my second watering was in the evening. But what happened was the heat and dry killed the couple of day old grass in a matter of hours around noon into the early afternoon. Talk about a grown man crying.  :)

Yeah. I finally learned to apply lawn soil and straw, which is hard to find except on Amazon. That 90 degrees stretch in May wasn't helpful. I'll come back in the fall and get it done right now that I know what seed to get and how to help it grow. I'll put it down after the lawn service aerates it. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 3:05 PM, adelphi_sky said:

Yeah. I finally learned to apply lawn soil and straw, which is hard to find except on Amazon. That 90 degrees stretch in May wasn't helpful. I'll come back in the fall and get it done right now that I know what seed to get and how to help it grow. I'll put it down after the lawn service aerates it. 

I see a lot of good advice has been given, but one last thing I have used and I really feel it helped my fescue seed germinate and do better it a product that holds water and eventually  breaks down adding a tiny amount of nitrogen to your lawn.  

I like it better than straw. 

It is typically sold at Lowes and Home Depot, see below 

10 lb. Fairway Formula Seed Success Biodegradable Mulch with Fertilizer

Overview

This product is a combination starter fertilizer and seeding mulch that helps maintain moisture in the planted area so seeds germinate successfully. The paper mulch is completely biodegradable. It is combined with fertilizer, a wetting agent and special tackifier that helps keep mulch in place to protect the seed while it germinates - even on rainy, windy days or when seeding a sloped area. Grass seed is not included - you choose the grass seed of your choice.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 9:44 AM, showmethesnow said:

Don't you just hate phoney weather patterns. 

@showmethesnow     Did you say phoney .....  ?   

maybe the weather today is simply the Matrix  

maybe it is , afterall my dewpoint is 51 and my temp is just 70 at 1:45 PM.    A dream world .......

• Like 2

Uh oh folks! ANOTHER massively WET summer may be in store for the Mid Atlantic!

Need a break from the relentless rains?

Come see us in warm, dry Texas.

All of these weather anomalies in the Mid Atlantic - They have nothing to do with The Matrix.

This is Climate Change. It will continue. It will increase with time.

The storms down here in Texas are changing a little as well. 

They are getting stronger. A chinaberry tree hit the side of my moms house a few days ago during an electrical storm. We had 66 mph wind gusts and horizon to horizon lightning for at least 2 hours. There were many cloud to ground strikes.

I am definitely not in Kansas anymore, lol.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jebman said:

Uh oh folks! ANOTHER massively WET summer may be in store for the Mid Atlantic!

Need a break from the relentless rains?

Come see us in warm, dry Texas.

All of these weather anomalies in the Mid Atlantic - They have nothing to do with The Matrix.

This is Climate Change. It will continue. It will increase with time.

The storms down here in Texas are changing a little as well. 

They are getting stronger. A chinaberry tree hit the side of my moms house a few days ago during an electrical storm. We had 66 mph wind gusts and horizon to horizon lightning for at least 2 hours. There were many cloud to ground strikes.

I am definitely not in Kansas anymore, lol.

Are dogs living with cats yet? :D

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic