• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WxBob
    Newest Member
    WxBob

June Discobs 2019

@losetoa6  yep, certainly possible and also a deep feed of tropical moisture. Appears afterward we enter a period of nice weather with a general NW flow. 

Not as cool as the Midwest ( below normal there by 3 to 6 degrees maybe ),  but no extreme heat in sight in the East . 

Also, looks like West Coast high pressure builds later in the 6 to 10 day period, and a rise in the PNA.  Meanwhile the Newfoundland cold pool persists and the NAO remains negative. 

1 hour ago, frd said:

@losetoa6  yep, certainly possible and also a deep feed of tropical moisture. Appears afterward we enter a period of nice weather with a general NW flow. 

Not as cool as the Midwest ( below normal there by 3 to 6 degrees maybe ),  but no extreme heat in site in the East . 

Also, looks like West Coast high pressure builds later in the 6 to 10 day period, and a rise in the PNA.  Meanwhile the Newfoundland cold pool persists and the NAO remains negative. 

Well, it is the third week since I planted grass. It looks pitiful. So, this expected monsoon is a little too late. The early heatwave with the multiple misses of soaking rain in my backyard has done its damage. I'll wait for the fall to plant again. 

1 hour ago, adelphi_sky said:

Well, it is the third week since I planted grass. It looks pitiful. So, this expected monsoon is a little too late. The early heatwave with the multiple misses of soaking rain in my backyard has done its damage. I'll wait for the fall to plant again. 

That is a good idea. It is normally is recommended to over-seed,  and or plant new lawns in the fall when the nights are longer, the sun less strong, there is more frequent dew. The issue is even if your grass germinated there is no assurance it will survive July and August and even Septermber can be brutal too. 

I recommend you aerate any area you want to over seed in the Fall. If a new lawn follow typical instructions. Good luck !   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, frd said:

That is a good idea. It is normally is recommended to over-seed,  and or plant new lawns in the fall when the nights are longer, the sun less strong, there is more frequent dew. The issue is even if your grass germinated there is no assurance it will survive July and August and even Septermber can be brutal too. 

I recommend you aerate any area you want to over seed in the Fall. If a new lawn follow typical instructions. Good luck !   

You also get a lot of root growth throughout the winter which is probably the most important thing for new grass in our summers.

• Like 2

Aerating made a huge difference for my lawn. Did it last fall and then overseeded and came in very well this spring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posting here because it's not tropical but tomorrow might be a little interesting for those along the coast. Guidance develops a weak surface low off the coast of NC/VA and pushes it into the coast this weekend. Nothing too exciting but this time of year breezy and wet excites me.

Hopefully we get a nice little swirl going on GOES-16. 

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Posting here because it's not tropical but tomorrow might be a little interesting for those along the coast. Guidance develops a weak surface low off the coast of NC/VA and pushes it into the coast this weekend. Nothing too exciting but this time of year breezy and wet excites me.

That's right in my backyard. We've had some pretty cool thunderstorms the past week or so down here on the shore.

• Like 1

If we could get some nice training feeder bands along with these high pwats it could produce some gully washers maby

3k Sunday am

Screenshot_20190607-164939_Chrome_crop_540x436.jpg

Radar around the same time 

Screenshot_20190607-165345_Chrome_crop_432x432.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

If we could get some nice training feeder bands along with these high pwats it could produce some gully washers maby

3k Sunday am

Screenshot_20190607-164939_Chrome_crop_540x436.jpg

Radar around the same time 

Screenshot_20190607-165345_Chrome_crop_432x432.jpg

I'd give my first born for that rain. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

I'd give my first born for that rain. 

Keep it away!! The Bay is just starting to recover from the insane amount of rain we had this past year. The rain has been terrible for the bay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Inthepines said:

Keep it away!! The Bay is just starting to recover from the insane amount of rain we had this past year. The rain has been terrible for the bay.

Amen!  It’s the summer...please give me sun and 80s.  Overcast/deluges/unsettled patterns SUCK this time of year.

23 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

12z 3k brings your mini low lol ...right up the bay to Bob Chills yard . Looks like the broad ull in the south lassos it in and right up the bay

Screenshot_20190608-113410_Chrome_crop_498x670.jpg

I'm old enough to remember when 1" - 2" of rain wasn't considered a big deal.  Really looking less impressive with each day .....

44 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

12z 3k brings your mini low lol ...right up the bay to Bob Chills yard . Looks like the broad ull in the south lassos it in and right up the bay

Well is it a sub-tropical entity? Good candidate for post-season reanalysis. Regardless it's very interesting.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I'm old enough to remember when 1" - 2" of rain wasn't considered a big deal.  Really looking less impressive with each day .....

The NWS doesn’t seem to share your same thoughts 

Large area of isentropic lift and easterly low-level flow for a
prolonged period, coupled with PWATs of near 2 inches will
result in a heavy rain and flood threat Sunday and Monday,
especially for the central Virginia foothills and vicinity. At
7am, 1.70 inches in the past 24hrs was reported already by
MontebelloVA along the Blue Ridge in Nelson County. Anticipating
issuing a Flood or Flash Flood Watch on this shift after the
12z modeling rolls in and can be evaluated. Expecting Flood will
be the more widespread threat from inundation, with pockets of
Flash Flooding under heavier convective, possibly terrain
locked, elements. Finer scale details will continue to come
into better focus over the coming day or so.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Back in your day every square inch of the metro area wasn't paved over or built on. Much less open space to capture run off these days. No one cares when a field floods. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Oh yeah baby that looks like fun. This is why we love the NAM. 

:weenie:

nam3km_mslp_wind_neus_32.png

nam3km_mslp_wind_neus_36.png

1 hour ago, Vice-Regent said:

Well is it a sub-tropical entity? Good candidate for post-season reanalysis. Regardless it's very interesting.

Nah, looks non tropical to me. Would have been nice to get more time over water for any of these surface lows between development and the push onshore. 

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Oh yeah baby that looks like fun. This is why we love the NAM. 

:weenie:

nam3km_mslp_wind_neus_32.png

nam3km_mslp_wind_neus_36.png

Nah, looks non tropical to me. Would have been nice to get more time over water for any of these surface lows between development and the push onshore. 

A sub-tropical or tropical entty so close to the coastal waters would be unreal for Early June. I was hoping for a yellow circle.

4 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Wasn’t expecting to wake up to mostly sunny skies lol

Me neither lol. Looks like a beautiful day on tap. This is typical of our "rainy days" this time of year. A rainy weekend ends up being a overnight shower. Glad I knew better and watered the garden. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Me neither lol. Looks like a beautiful day on tap. This is typical of our "rainy days" this time of year. A rainy weekend ends up being a overnight shower. Glad I knew better and watered the garden. 

Yep.  I've had 0.25 since May 23 and 0.75 since May 13.  I was hopeful for good rain since we do stratiform fine here - we just don't do thunderstorms.  Now this is looking more like a thunderstorm event Monday afternoon/evening and a shut-out is on the table.

• Like 1

Well, I for one am delighted the biblical and apocalyptic rains ended up south. We’ve done our stretch.

On a seasonal impact, wondering if the deluge down there at this point makes that region less of a candidate for BIG HEAT - the relative moisture in place in the ground across a good chunk of the country from the Mississippi River east is a bit abnormal.

Looking at radar the showers were delayed but not denied.  Trajectory coming from se to nw and already in southern Md counties se of DC . My yard probably won't get much but  many south of me look to get some light rain at least 

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Well, I for one am delighted the biblical and apocalyptic rains ended up south. We’ve done our stretch.

On a seasonal impact, wondering if the deluge down there at this point makes that region less of a candidate for BIG HEAT - the relative moisture in place in the ground across a good chunk of the country from the Mississippi River east is a bit abnormal.

I too watered the garden yesterday, was pretty dry with the strong sun and breeze.  Mount Holly seems to think the most robust rainfall is early in the week and they mentioned the Thursday deal has a lot of uncertainty. They said the low that was to effect out region as the dominant low is now forecasted to be washed out/absorbed into the Great Lakes low, so less rainfall later in the week is a possibility. If you desire rain hope this first round makes it here. The WPC still has us in good shades for significant rainfall but I do have some doubts.    

Praying for some real rain out of this.

Under 1" since May 3.  Grass getting brown. Has hardly grown at all since the last mow over 1 week ago.  Good thing it hasn't been all that hot during this stretch.