Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Discobs 2019

George BM

13 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Nada here.

Just a hot and dry week ahead.

Damn,  looked good out West  at 330 AM when I woke up.  Then it went POOF !  Even .25 would have been nice but only a trace here. 

All of Delaware basically missed it.  The dry days now start to add up. Well, less grass cutting but more watering.  I hope @Eskimo Joe  straw system I have down helps with the dryness. So far, so good. 

Hey @C.A.P.E.  is this sudden dry and hot weather similiar to last year at this  time or was that a bit later in July.  I recall I  went without rain for about 16 days and then the pattern changed and the rains and dews came from that point on.  The grass fungus started after that as well. 

51 minutes ago, frd said:

Damn,  looked good out West  at 330 AM when I woke up.  Then it went POOF !  Even .25 would have been nice but only a trace here. 

All of Delaware basically missed it.  The dry days now start to add up. Well, less grass cutting but more watering.  I hope @Eskimo Joe  straw system I have down helps with the dryness. So far, so good. 

Hey @C.A.P.E.  is this sudden dry and hot weather similiar to last year at this  time or was that a bit later in July.  I recall I  went without rain for about 16 days and then the pattern changed and the rains and dews came from that point on.  The grass fungus started after that as well. 

I know it was a good chunk of July but not sure when it set in. Needless to say it was the worst time for a hot dry spell, and for the umpteenth time, did in much of my grass. That's what finally got me motivated to start on the fire pit surround- mostly an attempt to further shrink my grass area. More mulch/plants/stones, and less lawn to constantly reseed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I know it was a good chunk of July but not sure when it set in. Needless to say it was the worst time for a hot dry spell, and for the umpteenth time, did in much of my grass. That's what finally got me motivated to start on the fire pit surround- mostly an attempt to further shrink my grass area. More mulch/plants/stones, and less lawn to constantly reseed,

That makes a lot of sense to reduce the need for reseeding.   

As for future rainfall in July and August hard to make a call.  

I know I read Don S in a recent update referring to the SOI index. I believe he stated recent activity in the index matching previous years  resulted in 4 out of 6 years being a Nino the following Fall into winter.  

I know Ben posted this :

35 minutes ago, frd said:

That makes a lot of sense to reduce the need for reseeding.   

As for future rainfall in July and August hard to make a call.  

I know I read Don S in a recent update referring to the SOI index. I believe he stated recent activity in the index matching previous years  resulted in 4 out of 6 years being a Nino the following Fall into winter.  

I know Ben posted this :

It would be nice if the Nino persists into fall and early winter. Models generally either have a weak Nino or trending to neutral towards fall. Last time I looked at the CPC ENSO update it had odds of a Nino persisting into fall at around 50%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Ended up with .72" from that line that came through after 1am.

damn, only .3 for me. 

I picked a great week to get out of town, going to be low 80s in Farmington the rest of the week... enjoy yalls heat wave! :bike:

• Like 2

As we exit June in a few days and go into July wonder whether the CFS has any real clue here with this forecast.  Most times I tend to find it runs warm, so this is a but unusual. 

I would have thought the hopes of an East Coast trough to be low and blocking to run its course by early July. Even with blocking in the summer, it  is not associated with any cool(er) weather here from what I researched. Now maybe the effects of the Nino might have a role.  Also, any far Western Pac re-curving typhoons might have an impact, not sure. 

Even the cold pool was getting warmer in the NW Atlantic, however, I did see signs of a warming NE Pac. 

Anyway, plenty of time to watch things in a sensible manner.  

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

12z GFS goes out 16 days.  12z Euro 10 days.

Neither of them have a high under 90 for any day.

12z GFS gets pretty damn extreme towards the end, especially during the nights.

For the lols, TWC has every day 90 or above for D.C 

image.thumb.png.0bd2400729312f60f900a116f7505dc3.png

37 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Agreed. Its awful. Its hot. But it is also pretty typical.

Typical ..... what is climo for a high at DC now ? 

Still, although it is summer you have to admit the longevity of the arrived heat now and in many past summers sucks.  Warmer winters and above normal hot summers. At least we had some nice weather, although cloudy at times in May and in early June. 

I bet we are above normal for a long time going forward next month.

The question begs though,  is the warmest ( hottest ) part  of summer in the first half of July like last summer to be replaced by higher over-night lows , and lower day time highs in August and September and with higher dews the player?

Or, does summer intensify even further hitting extremes in August and September , Don S brought up 1993. 

Maybe the Nino brings a wetter fall to cut the September heat out. not sure the direction yet.  

10 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

90 to 94 for a high isn't hot in these parts...it's summer.

It is hot, but it isn't unusual.  That said, a long string of 90s can have a cumulative effect on the environment and the psyche.  We'll see if we can at least get that break Sun/Mon before we go back to the heat.

91 so far at home.  Looks like DCA is 89 or 90 based on the 5 minute obs.

Just now, MN Transplant said:

It is hot, but it isn't unusual.  That said, a long string of 90s can have a cumulative effect on the environment and the psyche.  We'll see if we can at least get that break Sun/Mon before we go back to the heat.

91 so far at home.  Looks like DCA is 89 or 90 based on the 5 minute obs.

If it won't bother you too much could you post a link to the 5 min obs please?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic