Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 General Discussion

Hoosier

4 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

:arrowhead:

This came up before.  It seems more likely that PWK, MDW, and other nearby areas have a warm bias (or are simply located in an extreme UHI urban jungle near a concrete tarmac)...as opposed to ORD having a cold bias. More evidence is when ORD only hit -23 during the late-January 2019 arctic outbreak, when many other nearby areas were -25 to -30.

I'm in SW Lake County and hit 89 yesterday, just like ORD.

No, it's definitely and issue with the sensor. It has been running behind on the warmer days recently. All OBS sites hit 90+ yesterday, except ORD.

44 minutes ago, hlcater said:

This MCS has an impressively dense canopy and combined with a cold pool that’s still well in place, we might struggle to reach posted highs 88-90. It’s still only 68 at noon.

Yeah, this MCS really put the kibosh on the hot and humid day across Iowa.  Even the Ames/Des Moines area, which received no rain, are firmly within the cold pool and stuck in the 70s.

7 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Yeah, this MCS really put the kibosh on the hot and humid day across Iowa.  Even the Ames/Des Moines area, which received no rain, are firmly within the cold pool and stuck in the 70s.

it was moving ESE...split into two parts...the western portion turned right and moved due south a even a hair west of due south....but now is turning back left and moving more east ( or SE again) some how missing north central IL

:wacko:

TWN was and is indicating a severe threat for a chunk of southern Ontario today but stressed any MCS during the day will diminish potential, I'm sure you all know what scenario panned out :deadhorse:.

Today was suppose to get up to 30ºC which would be the first one IMBY however I'm now at 20ºC with full clouds :). I haven't had a single good thunderstorm yet in my region and today's crappy MCS brought a few rumbles and perhaps a flash of lightning! The multi-year trend of no good storms (in my region) continues.

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

No, it's definitely and issue with the sensor. It has been running behind on the warmer days recently. All OBS sites hit 90+ yesterday, except ORD.

Well, that’s unfortunate. I thought there was no way it could be running cold. If anything, I always thought ORD was a warm spot compared to surrounding areas, especially noting the relatively warm -23F min during the January arctic outbreak.

At the same time, I can’t imagine that MDW and PWK are fair comparisons, and they shouldn’t be considered representative of the climo in this area. They both have ridiculous UHI. Although, given how the Chicago metro area continues to develop, we will all be living in an urban wasteland soon anyway. 

11 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Central Indiana just got transferred to Hades in like 72 hours.  The foot of the oppressive dome is bearing down.  We're still at 89 at 8pm (really 7pm in my book lol).

Edit:  Muncie 25 miles east still reporting 91!

Kevin Gregory (WRTV) reported to NWSchat last night that the Muncie temps have been running hot for awhile and one of the mets concurred. I believe they started using missing until the trouble ticket can be processed and the sensor checked out. Still freakin' hot though!

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Kevin Gregory (WRTV) reported to NWSchat last night that the Muncie temps have been running hot for awhile and one of the mets concurred. I believe they started using missing until the trouble ticket can be processed and the sensor checked out. Still freakin' hot though!

Now that you say that I have noticed they've been warmer than the other airports around them.  Maybe they're working on it now because Muncie is reporting 70 and Marion 84 at 11am lol.

• Haha 1

I'll join the 90 fray.  We haven't hit it yet in central WI.  I though we would get close on June 27, but an MCS rolled through in the afternoon to stop that from happening.  Thought we might have a shot at 90 again today but temps flatlined in the mid-80s after 1 PM.  I mean they just hit an absolute ceiling, despite gradually warming 850 temps, and now at 5 PM they are starting to sag back down. The soil is very wet due to the two MCS's that rolled through recently, this might have something to do with it.

Tomorrow will have much warmer 850 temps but a morning MCS should provide ample cloud cover around mid-day.  After that, 500 heights should remain low enough that the first 90 will continue to elude throughout the first half of July.

Hit 95 at MLI, and also here.  Dew is up to 79 at MLI atm.  Highest heat index recorded here was 108.  

Got soaked running into work early this morning from a torrential downpour.  The storms have been hit and miss, as we have yet to receive anything here today.

EDIT:  Today's temp at MLI is 128 degrees warmer than that -33 reading back in Jan.  I actually just read that arctic outbreak thread a few days ago.  Was a good way to cool off on a hot day lol.

• Like 2