Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2019 General Discussion

Hoosier

15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Getting to be late for Chicago to not have recorded a high of 85+ yet.  The record latest is July 3 back in 1935.  I don't think that record will be broken but let's see how many more days it will take. 

First 85+ high:

June 19:  1893, 1924, 1997, 2009

June 22:  1882

June 23:  1884

June 30:  1878

July 2:  1883

July 3:  1935

Interesting...I'm honestly surprised that there are so many instances where it has taken so long for the first 85+ temp. With that said, I don't really put too much stock in the 1800s records, since the ob site was so close to Lake Michigan and it was a different climate regime (not to digress too much...but if you look at Chicago's daily record low max temps from mid-May through June, almost all of them are from the 1800s).

Anyway, I think there's a good chance that ORD makes it past June 23...in which case 2019 would have the 4th latest first 85+ temp on record...and the latest since 1935.

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Interesting...I'm honestly surprised that there are so many instances where it has taken so long for the first 85+ temp. With that said, I don't really put too much stock in the 1800s records, since the ob site was so close to Lake Michigan and it was a different climate regime (not to digress too much...but if you look at Chicago's daily record low max temps from mid-May through June, almost all of them are from the 1800s).

Anyway, I think there's a good chance that ORD makes it past June 23...in which case 2019 would have the 4th latest first 85+ temp on record...and the latest since 1935.

Agree... it is more impressive to go this long nowadays.  ORD is about as far inland as you can go and still be a "Chicago" observation site.  

NAM and GFS have near 80 degree dews in part of the sub on Saturday.  This is about the time of year when you'd start expecting the possibility but will the corn lagging behind play a role?  
gfs_Td2m_ncus_15.thumb.png.ad27109bef3584683c260d13a5afb599.png
namconus_Td2m_ncus_53.thumb.png.a2f41fb925aabafa417513ec94f781ad.png

Corn is growing fast. Maybe other members will chime in but there are a few fields that look like they might make it knee high by the 4th.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:11 PM, Torchageddon said:

It is ball-sucking cold, and I'm growing further weary of this Hudson gyre nonsense. Every Spring has been the same; no Spring. I'd be torrid if it weren't for my trip to the central Plains in May where I escaped this bowel squirting action. It reminds me too much of the worst June (2015) and some of the awfulness of the year prior. If its sunny and low 70s then whatever but once that cloud cover hangs and you get stiff breezes its a wrap. I've also noticed that every time the forecast on a misting/light rain day shows upper 60s it ends up being 10 below that. I had to wear a jacket again today and its the middle of June...

Yeah, my NWS office does that, ticks me off a bit that they steer too much toward climo then end up getting temps wrong by 10F or so on the regular.  They should know as much as anyone that temps do not tend to be very consistent so trending toward climo is not the smart choice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

NAM and GFS have near 80 degree dews in part of the sub on Saturday.  This is about the time of year when you'd start expecting the possibility but will the corn lagging behind play a role?  

I can only attempt to talk about Indiana, but with the amount of moisture sitting on the surface and close to the surface in southern Indiana I would guess the little corn is not going to make much of a difference. Now watch me be 100% wrong.

0.53" of rain today as we, once again, got stuck under the general rain shield on the north side of the MCS.  This has been the theme this spring/summer.

The slow-moving disturbance today has kept this area in the mid 60s, so it has been pretty cool.  Models had been showing the dewpoint rising into the mid to upper 70s on Saturday, but that now looks unlikely.  The euro is now showing mid to upper 60s, with temps only in the 70s.  For the most part, if we want summer heat and storms this year, we have to go south.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:59 PM, bowtie` said:

I can only attempt to talk about Indiana, but with the amount of moisture sitting on the surface and close to the surface in southern Indiana I would guess the little corn is not going to make much of a difference. Now watch me be 100% wrong.

Indy still has a shot at a record June rain fall total, but yeah southern IN. can't handle much if any, more rain.   I think they could plant this Frankencorn they have now days on the 4th and still harvest it by  the end of October. That little 3 or 4 day window prior to the 10th allowed a lot of farmers around here to get a crop in and those fields are already 6-8 inches tall with some damn near a foot.

classic MO/IA border MCS diving ESE just south of me last night

long range is very warm and muggy ..but not "hot" ..although it will be "drier" there is no huge sinking air high pressure and high PW values staying around 

afternoon 30% coverage with heavy downpours....with the wet ground  isolated flooding still possible

some days will be higher as poorly modeled systems round the ridge enhancing the coverage

also GFS has been hinting at some kind of weak low getting stuck over the western KY area later next week

39 on the therm this morning down in the front yard. Dry northerly flow has persisted all month long pretty much, allowing for cool nights and nice days.  My average low temp month-to-date is 44 and despite all the rain south, only .58" all month here.  Unsettled weather returns tomorrow and I'm very pleased by that.  

Also, I do not mind the late sunsets in summer.  Actual dark only lasts here from 12:36 am - 3:07 am, before astronomical twilight begins.  I wouldn't want to be in the central zone, which is just the county south of here, actually.

Leaves usually are near peak the last week of Sept here, just 12 weeks away.  Crazy to think about, but like I've said before...  In the UP, winter is always coming.  Enjoy the weekend everyone!  With all the nice weather, already have about 70% of winter's firewood cut, split, and stacked!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

0.30" overnight.  MO/KS and points south are gobbling up much of the good MCS action.

yep..5 days ago it was heat and humidity, and heavy rain for us for this period....everything way south

I think next week is our turn...maybe smaller sized MCS's

12z GFS more active then before  basically has pockets of high PW values (>1.5) and small complexes every day in IL/IA this week

many moving SE or even SSE

Heavy heavy downpour and wind here in Momence IL. Nothing on radar

Wild weather

-edit; small blip showing on radar now. Much much more impressive than what radar shows

If that small blip is any indication, it’s going to rain HARD when it does rain