Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 General Discussion

Hoosier

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Looks like a dullish stretch coming up around here.  Not much in the way of severe chances or heavy rains.   

You should have stayed at LAF. Actually the atmosphere unzipped between me and LAF. Only 1.4 here. I see a report of 3+ just south of Frankfort.

The odd thing was the first inch here was a normal Midwest summer deluge. Wind and rain blowing every which direction. Then there was a 30 to 45 minutes pause. The last half an inch came straight down with no wind. I used to see that more on Taiwan with the marine influence. Kind of strange to see it in Indiana. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Imagine actually complaining about it being 83 outside

Nah, it's because there's something wrong with the ASOS at ORD, or PWK, or both. PWK is north of ORD, there's no reason it should have been three degrees warmer there. Someone really needs to look into this issue. It was never like this in the past.

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Would be fairly unusual to get 850 mb temps below 0C that far south at this time of year.  A week out so ample opportunity to modify in the coming days... we'll see.

*cue NegativeEPO*

ecmwf_T850_us_8.thumb.png.ba09d5b823d52a3cbbe747a3d2e43d04.png

Yep, this pattern is completely out of control and messed up. Even 2013-2015 wasn't this bad.

PWK is probably running warm. Part of the issue is that the tolerance interval is at least 3 degrees if I'm not mistaken, so even though it stands out to those of us that follow this stuff every day, it hasn't risen to the level of getting a trouble ticket requiring maintenance. Also, hate to say it but it's not been a priority with how active it's been. I'll mention it to the electronics techs next week if it continues to run warm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Pretty crazy to see most of the farm fields untouched now a week into June.  Never seen that before.  There's a few random fields where not only is the corn planted, but it's over a foot tall.  A small percentage of farmers were able to get some planting done awhile back.  

Looking at the satellite comparison between last year and this year shows a definite difference.  Definitely a lack of green compared to last year.

Top pic is 6/5/18, and bottom pic is 6/5/19.

2ptyuqs.jpg

2e230r6.jpg

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Pretty crazy to see most of the farm fields untouched now a week into June.  Never seen that before.  There's a few random fields where not only is the corn planted, but it's over a foot tall.  A small percentage of farmers were able to get some planting done awhile back.  

Looking at the satellite comparison between last year and this year shows a definite difference.  Definitely a lack of green compared to last year.

Top pic is 6/5/18, and bottom pic is 6/5/19.

2ptyuqs.jpg

2e230r6.jpg

That is striking.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:55 PM, Hoosier said:

Would be fairly unusual to get 850 mb temps below 0C that far south at this time of year.  A week out so ample opportunity to modify in the coming days... we'll see.

*cue NegativeEPO*

ecmwf_T850_us_8.thumb.png.ba09d5b823d52a3cbbe747a3d2e43d04.png

Been loving the lack of heat. Hopefully we can keep this going through summer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, NTXYankee said:

This pattern is crap, nothing worse than a cold winter and cold summer.

Actually, a cold, dry winter and a warm/hot, dry summer is the worst combo.  I think most weather enthusiasts here would agree, except those who only like big temp records.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 11:27 AM, Hoosier said:

From what I've seen, most outlets are calling for a warmer than average summer, with June perhaps being coolest relative to average.  Of course there's multiple ways to get there... some high end heat spells or just consistently warmer than average (especially with lows) or warm stretches just outweighing the cool ones.  I do think that if the pattern does not begin to dry out, it will be tougher to build intense heat to the west.

not a chance in hell. Told you guys it would be a 1992 redux.

2 hours ago, NegativeEPO said:

Also, the GFS is showing unprecedented cold for this region. Temps stuck in the 40s in Indiana during the day possibly... will we even see some flakes? I have no words... this is 1816 stuff right here.

gfs_T2m_us_19.png

Anomalous cold? Yes. Hyperbole? Yes.

Weather is just not good for palm trees.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:44 PM, wisconsinwx said:

Actually, a cold, dry winter and a warm/hot, dry summer is the worst combo.  I think most weather enthusiasts here would agree, except those who only like big temp records.

Well severe weather season has been in the crapper here in central Ohio, the rest of Ohio has done fairly well, so I’ve given up on that changing.  I will gladly take a warm/hot dry summer instead. I need something to forget the long snowy winter and prepare for next season.  Maybe 7 years in Texas spoiled me on expectations this far north.

After living a couple decades in the south with 95/75 humid summers the next week P&C forecast around here can be put on repeat until Sept. as far as I'm concerned :clap:

Monday
A 30 percent chance of showers before 2pm. Cloudy, then gradual clearing during the afternoon, with a high near 70. Breezy, with a northwest wind 11 to 16 mph increasing to 17 to 22 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 31 mph.
Monday Night
Clear, with a low around 50. North northwest wind 6 to 11 mph becoming light and variable.
Tuesday
Increasing clouds, with a high near 74. Calm wind becoming west around 6 mph in the morning.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 54. Calm wind becoming south southeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Wednesday
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 73.
Wednesday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 52. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Thursday
A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 63.
Thursday Night
A 10 percent chance of showers before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 50.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 72.
Friday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56.
Saturday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 75.
Saturday Night
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60.
Sunday
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 78.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

3km NAM shows temps barely getting out of the 50s Wed, with rainy conditions much of the day.  Might have to make a big batch of chili! :tomato:

Can only imagine what it's going to show farther east on Thursday.