Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 28th-30th Severe Potential

NJwx85

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Not much going on, last couple days felt very early fall like 

However overall activity in PA/NJ in late May could signal an active severe season once we get into July/August given the cyclical pattern we've been in. 

I was discussing the same thing earlier today. Usually mid June thru July is our active time however given the past week or two we might be in for an active summer. 

^^ I was driving south on I81 towards Binghamton towards the end of the day yesterday and coming down the hill you get a pretty good view south towards PA. The weather looked ominous and there was a lot of lightning, it made me wonder if s**t was going down, apparently so.

I didn't see any severe but you could tell that the potential was there all the way from Rochester down. It rained continuously almost the entire way. Made for a very long and tiring drive.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

^^ I was driving south on I81 towards Binghamton towards the end of the day yesterday and coming down the hill you get a pretty good view south towards PA. The weather looked ominous and there was a lot of lightning, it made me wonder if s**t was going down, apparently so.

I didn't see any severe but you could tell that the potential was there all the way from Rochester down. It rained continuously almost the entire way. Made for a very long and tiring drive.

The one good thing about the last 3 years is that most of the tornadoes have been EF0 to EF2. Hopefully, this continues and they avoid the higher end tornadoes like they saw in May 1985.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The one good thing about the last 3 years is that most of the tornadoes have been EF0 to EF2. Hopefully, this continues and they avoid the higher end tornadoes like they saw in May 1985.

24 years ago today. Hard to believe an F5 in PA

The Niles, OH/Wheatland, PA Tornado

This extremely violent tornado began in eastern Ohio, and tore directly through the towns of Niles, Ohio and Wheatland, Pennsylvania, producing F5 damage at both locations. The tornado killed 18 people and injured 310, and was the most violent and deadly of the 43 recorded that day. Registering F5 on the Fujita scale, it remains the only F5 in Pennsylvania history,[5]and was also the most violent tornado reported in the United States in 1985.[6]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_United_States–Canada_tornado_outbreak

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

This extremely violent tornado began in eastern Ohio, and tore directly through the towns of Niles, Ohio and Wheatland, Pennsylvania, producing F5 damage at both locations. The tornado killed 18 people and injured 310, and was the most violent and deadly of the 43 recorded that day. Registering F5 on the Fujita scale, it remains the only F5 in Pennsylvania history,[5]and was also the most violent tornado reported in the United States in 1985.[6]

While those storms eventually fell below severe limits, they came through through Long Island around midnight. It was the only time here that I experienced continuous lightning with no interruptions. That was one of my top weather events for the 1980’s. The amount of lightning flashes was off the charts. Too bad we didn’t have modern lightning detection networks for an exact count.

I think this was 34 years ago not 24.

54 minutes ago, bluewave said:

While those storms eventually fell below severe limits, they came through through Long Island around midnight. It was the only time here that I experienced continuous lightning with no interruptions. That was one of my top weather events for the 1980’s. The amount of lightning flashes was off the charts. Too bad we didn’t have modern lightning detection networks for an exact count.

What about the line of storms that came through on June 1, 2006? They moved in from the NW from Upstate NY. Still remains as the most prolific lightning storms Ive ever witnessed. Continuous non-stop lightning.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Yeah they must've been pretty intense in NJ as well but I don't recall. 

2 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

What about the line of storms that came through on June 1, 2006? They moved in from the NW from Upstate NY. Still remains as the most prolific lightning storms Ive ever witnessed. Continuous non-stop lightning.

At least for me in Long Island, May 31-June 1, 1985 remains my benchmark for continuous lightning. 

Yeah they must've been pretty intense in NJ as well but I don't recall. 

Here is a a great write-up on the event. 

https://www.weather.gov/ctp/TornadoOutbreak_May311985

• Like 1

Best lightning I've seen was from a bow echo that went through the Ocean county area back in 2012. Incredible amount of CG strikes, probably would have looked like a strobe if it happened at night. Also had the best mammatus I've ever seen in person, it's where my avatar pic came from.