Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2019 OBS Thread

Rtd208

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

To no more 90's  :lol: summer not over just the worst of it. Bunch more 90's i'm sure.

Over/Under: 3.5 as far as 90 degree days left. I'm going under.

Really doesn't matter because we'll probably have a bunch of mid-upper 80s days w/high DPs which sucks pretty bad as well...

2 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

I am actually a bit surprised Mt.Holly is keeping the Flash Flood Watch in effect although they have reduced the localized higher amounts from 5" down to 3".

I think the AFD mentioned that if the overcast clears earlier than expected, then an increase in destabilization could occur and enhance the rainfall in spots further north of the heaviest rain that was recently shifted into the Delmarva area and south.

As an obs note, I had a high of 87 yesterday after a cool low of 60.  But the overcast kept the temps up overnight and it is currently 74 here.

4 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

I am actually a bit surprised Mt.Holly is keeping the Flash Flood Watch in effect although they have reduced the localized higher amounts from 5" down to 3".

I don't think the FFW is warranted at all. Almost all of the models show the main batch of convection staying to the south. Looks like mainly just some showers/brief thunderstorms in the FFW area. I expect it to be dropped later this afternoon.

I managed to get 0.01" (so far) here in NW Philly from a diffuse band that rippled up through the city from the southwest (am guessing as part of the wavering warm front).  The one thing it also did was send the dews soaring into the low 70s.  Currently overcast and 76 (temps did make it to 82 as a high here today).

19 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Torrential downpours and street flooding here in wildwood. 

My turn had plans for a week concerning today, for days the front was to clear last night and it was to be decent weather day had a partly sunny day with 30% chance of shower forecast. Yesterday the screw started to turn the chance increased and finally ground truth a dark dank been raining/ drizzling since i awoke day. Basically the worst weather day of July-August to date.

3 hours ago, Newman said:

16 years ago was the Northeast Blackout of 2003. Was anyone here affected by that?

Yes, I was down at the Delaware shore at the time and we lost power for a few hours. Part of my extended family was from NYC so their house was effected too. I remember the weather was cool and quite foggy down at the shore that day, strange because no one in my family remembered it ever being like that in August after spending a week there each year for three decades.

10 hours ago, Newman said:

16 years ago was the Northeast Blackout of 2003. Was anyone here affected by that?

I think PECO was able to halt it here because we weren't impacted where I am.

And as a note - I had 0.14" of rain earlier today but am starting to get doused pretty good as a band is pushing down into my area.  Have been seeing significant lightning the past 20 minutes or so and am now hearing thunder. Temp is 76 with dp 71.

radar-zoom12-08142019.png