Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2019 OBS Thread

Rtd208

4 minutes ago, stemwinder said:

I'm no expert, but the front looks a lot weaker than the "bow waves" this time.  Will appreciate a cooler day or two.  

I think the first front is the weaker one with little or no temp change.  But the second front is the stronger one that will drop the humidity levels down and bring in the Canadian air - which should knock the daytime temps back to near normal and night temps to below-normal (that is supposed to happen over the weekend).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Well, that random strike just took out the power.  Loud!  Currently have very orange skies and a sunset in one direction and dark skies with lightning crawling in the other.  Wild looking.  

Capture+_2019-08-07-19-45-13.png

Ha! Was getting ready to post that the sun is trying to come out just as it is setting.  I'm still getting light rain (plus assorted lightning and thunder) and am up to 2.20" so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBasile said:

Only got 1.62 inches of rain yesterday.  Haven't really had any impressive storms this year.  Some big rain producers, but nothing even close to severe.  Suprising considering the severity of so many other storms.  

I had ONE impressive wind gust and paid for it with power outage lol

• Haha 1

GFS is at it again in the LR. Was showing a long 10-day stretch of sustained negative temp anomalies run after run after run. Slowly backed off of that idea and now looking like avg to AN temps with only a few BN brief appearances. The HL blocking and West-based -NAO has been a nice treat but why always in the summer anymore and never during winter? Has little impact in the summer other than helping us avoid 100F.

4 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS is at it again in the LR. Was showing a long 10-day stretch of sustained negative temp anomalies run after run after run. Slowly backed off of that idea and now looking like avg to AN temps with only a few BN brief appearances. The HL blocking and West-based -NAO has been a nice treat but why always in the summer anymore and never during winter? Has little impact in the summer other than helping us avoid 100F.

Hey at least it's not the nuclear furnace of July near normal feels mild right now.

So at the start of the week I looked at Mon-Thur and picked Tuesday as the best the weather day - fail it showered with the 20% chance and turned mostly cloudy and missed the high by 5F so got screwed 

Now of course all week Friday was looking primo perfect 85F and sunny. Naturally it's turned mostly cloudy and i see showers popping to the north lol. 

9 hours ago, RedSky said:

So at the start of the week I looked at Mon-Thur and picked Tuesday as the best the weather day - fail it showered with the 20% chance and turned mostly cloudy and missed the high by 5F so got screwed 

Now of course all week Friday was looking primo perfect 85F and sunny. Naturally it's turned mostly cloudy and i see showers popping to the north lol. 

Weekend should be awesome!

21 hours ago, RedSky said:

Hey at least it's not the nuclear furnace of July near normal feels mild right now.

You want a nuclear furnace. Try living where I am for the forseeable future. I had to move out to Phoenix to help out my aging mother, and last weekend it was 115 on Saturday and 117 on Sunday at her house. This weekend (with the monsoon around) the temps will be milder at 98-102. Now, as you all know, I don't care for winter and like it mild, and will love it out here in a couple months, but hot damn, temps pushing 120 during the summertime are HOT...

12 hours ago, Voyager said:

You want a nuclear furnace. Try living where I am for the forseeable future. I had to move out to Phoenix to help out my aging mother, and last weekend it was 115 on Saturday and 117 on Sunday at her house. This weekend (with the monsoon around) the temps will be milder at 98-102. Now, as you all know, I don't care for winter and like it mild, and will love it out here in a couple months, but hot damn, temps pushing 120 during the summertime are HOT...

But it's a dry heat man but I bet you can steam clams out in the monsoon lol

9 hours ago, RedSky said:

Yep, it's completely different than the muggy stuff around here. I have a friend who works construction in Phoenix and says the 100+ temps don't bother him a bit.

Currently 59F at 5am and feels great outside. 

11 hours ago, RedSky said:

:lol:

4 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Yep, it's completely different than the muggy stuff around here. I have a friend who works construction in Phoenix and says the 100+ temps don't bother him a bit.

Currently 59F at 5am and feels great outside. 

As much as I love the warm/hot weather, I just don't think I could work outdoors out here. As a commercial driver it's not bad, though.

My location running a bit warmer this AM compared to surrounding obs at lower spots with a low of only 58.9 in East Nantmeal and 59.0 at KMQS - still good for our 1st sub 60 degree reading since July 1st. We will see average lows reaching the 50's starting on August 21st. Beautiful day on the way both in Chesco and down the Shore - looks like the sea breeze just kicked in after an AM high of 80.0 now down to 79 with the wind now turned to the SE here at the coast.

5 hours ago, Newman said:

Severe threat coming up Tuesday. Plenty of shear, low level jet will be in play, instability not too bad. Here is berks county area:

nam_2019081112_060_40.46--75.76.png

Chris Sowers was a bit excited about this potential during this morning's broadcast. Overall, it's been a solid year as far as severe weather is concerned.