• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2019 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Some isolated thunderstorms are popping up in PA as many places are beginning to reach their convective temperatures. Any of these storms could be capable of becoming strong with CAPE values nearing 5000 j/kg, the LI nearing -10, and mid-level/low level lapse rates plenty high enough. There is enough of a cap to limit too many storms.

35 minutes ago, Newman said:

Some isolated thunderstorms are popping up in PA as many places are beginning to reach their convective temperatures. Any of these storms could be capable of becoming strong with CAPE values nearing 5000 j/kg, the LI nearing -10, and mid-level/low level lapse rates plenty high enough. There is enough of a cap to limit too many storms.

Today would be a great day for a pop-up downpour but it seems north of here has a better chance.

Just did a little reading on dewpoints and found a couple of interesting stats. The highest recorded dp was in Saudi Arabia, at 95. Air temp was also 95, which equates to a heat index of 161. The lowest dp was in an Australian desert, at -21 degrees. The air temp. was 93. RH was 1%. That'll dry your skin out!

Currently 90 here, with a DP of 76.

41 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Just did a little reading on dewpoints and found a couple of interesting stats. The highest recorded dp was in Saudi Arabia, at 95. Air temp was also 95, which equates to a heat index of 161. The lowest dp was in an Australian desert, at -21 degrees. The air temp. was 93. RH was 1%. That'll dry your skin out!

:o One would have to wear a shamwow material shirt and shorts to absorb the pouring sweat

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

When I lived in Phoenix, sometimes the humidity would be as low as 2%.

4 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Ended up with 98 as my high for the day (and for the season so far).  It just dropped to 88 as I was typing this, about 15 mintues past sunset.  I do see the clusters of storms to the NW & SW on the radar.

I'm rooting for them. Part of me wants to be outside and stand in the rain, the rest of me can let it go.

Models completely missed this convection. Even the new 0z NAM didn't initialize correctly. Getting pounded with heavy rain and lightning currently. I mean, like wow this is a total whiff on all the models, especially the CAMs.

3 minutes ago, Newman said:

Models completely missed this convection. Even the new 0z NAM didn't initialize correctly. Getting pounded with heavy rain and lightning currently. I mean, like wow this is a total whiff on all the models, especially the CAMs.

Yeah, but the observationals clearly had the signs. A pressure below 29.8, 80% RH and 98F temp.... its like accidentally discovering plutonium.