LANCASTER            LEBANON             LEHIGH
LUZERNE              MONROE              MONTGOMERY
MONTOUR              NORTHAMPTON         NORTHUMBERLAND
PHILADELPHIA         PIKE                SCHUYLKILL
SULLIVAN             SUSQUEHANNA         WAYNE
WYOMING              YORK
$$

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I started hearing them in the morning around July 4th here in Philly (just once) and then again in the morning a week ago the day before the heavy rain, and again yesterday morning and on/off during the day yesterday.  Before that it was mainly in the late afternoon and early evening.

Apparently the ones around here like to sing in the mornings and evenings.  Where I grew up in Jersey City, the species there sang in the heat of the day.  I have not heard these cicadas yet this year, but on other occasions, there are choruses of them singing, here near the Delaware and Raritan Canal.  These are the loud cicadas (every thing is loud in Jersey City!) which I associate with July Summer days.  Also, the loud kind likes to sing out in the open, which I imagine presents an easy meal option for the birds.  The morning and evening ones tend to sing from places that are hard to see, in the trees.  Need to get a "bug book" to get more info.

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

After losing power 3 times this summer from storms(peco's infrastructure is a joke), I am going to hope that I'm missed by the storms today. No power with this heat sounds like a nightmare.

Yeah and not exactly a dry heat either

4 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Looks like I topped out at 96 with the highest dp during that time being 75.  Only thing that kept it from being worse was that there has still been a light but active breeze today.  Currently 92 with dp 71 and partly sunny.

Here's my highs for the day.  80F dew!  110 index!  

7-17-19 Highs.png

4 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Here's my highs for the day.  80F dew!  110 index!  

7-17-19 Highs.png

I think at some point this afternoon when I was glancing at my console, the heat index hit 106.   And this is just day 1.  I guess how the rest of it plays out will be determined by how much rain we get tonight and tomorrow.

In the truck heading into the backside of a squall line on 76 near Hershey.  Its heading northeast with a stronger line behind it.  A lot of heavy rain, haven't seen lightning but there were a couple cool rainbows.  It was severe warned, I thought I saw some weak rotation on the trailing side of the storm but it's hard to tell. There was also a big spud cloud .  Haven't come out the front yet but there was about 12 cars pulled over at mile marker 263 we just passed. 

Edit: came out the front and temp went from high 70s to high 80s on truck thermometer which is not that accurate.  In this radar snapshot you can kind of make up a little hook which is exactly where I thought I saw some weak rotation but I dont have access to base velocity data so maybe it's just the way it is. :whistle:

Also the radar is like 5-10 mins behind the location likely so my location during that snapshot is likely inside the storm.  

20190717_175757.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Next to no clouds today here got the torch up to full burn

30 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Pretty much.  A few cirrus, but that was about it.  

I actually had a decent mix of both cirrus and cumulus most of the day here so during those times when they blocked the sun, that did hold the temps down from going on a sustained rise to higher than what I ended up with.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

In the truck heading into the backside of a squall line on 76 near Hershey.  Its heading northeast with a stronger line behind it.  A lot of heavy rain, haven't seen lightning but there were a couple cool rainbows.  It was severe warned, I thought I saw some weak rotation on the trailing side of the storm but it's hard to tell. There was also a big spud cloud .  Haven't come out the front yet but there was about 12 cars pulled over at mile marker 263 we just passed. 

Edit: came out the front and temp went from high 70s to high 80s on truck thermometer which is not that accurate.  In this radar snapshot you can kind of make up a little hook which is exactly where I thought I saw some weak rotation but I dont have access to base velocity data so maybe it's just the way it is. :whistle:

Also the radar is like 5-10 mins behind the location likely so my location during that snapshot is likely inside the storm.  

20190717_175757.jpg

Ooph. Nothing like driving on the turnpike in a downpour--I used to have to drive 76 a lot for a previous job and got caught in more than a few. Hope you get home safe.

19 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Also not seeing any obvious signs of rotation but could be one heck of a gust front incoming. Can anyone else tell me if that's what I'm seeing on the relative velocity plot?

July storm 3.JPG

FWIW since I'm still playing with the program but here is the SRV from GR2Analyst & the nrot view as well  (zoomed to also show the TOR)...

kdix_20190717_2239_SRV_0.5.png

kdix_20190717_2239_NROT_0.5.png