Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2019 OBS Thread

Rtd208

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

Yeah yesterday was suppose to be the most comfortable going off the Friday forecasts but ended up hotter. 

Today actually turned out to be the "comfortable" day with dews in the mid-upper 50s.  But I think we're done with days like this until probably September. :lol:

Currently 83 after a high of 87 here today, with scattered cirrus clouds and plane-generated contrails most of the day.

Loving these sunny days! Took full advantage of the weather a went to lbi, nj on saturday to skimboard.  Swell was nice, especially once the tide eased off toward sun down.  Really fun skimming. Water was super warm too, and I've never seen so many stingray's in my life, and I've been to stingray city in grand Cayman.  They were everywhere swimming in flocks through the waves.  Big ones too at least 2 feet wide.  

Any word on the remnants of barry, I saw a couple days ago some models had the low going right over the region.  

• Like 1

It hit 90 just after noon time here today and is creeping up.  The dp was higher earlier this morning (mid-60s) but has mixed out some thanks to an occasional few puffs of breeze and dropped to the low 60s.   Currently 90 with almost all blue sky except for a few small cumulus starting to form off to the east.

8 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Loving these sunny days! Took full advantage of the weather a went to lbi, nj on saturday to skimboard.  Swell was nice, especially once the tide eased off toward sun down.  Really fun skimming. Water was super warm too, and I've never seen so many stingray's in my life, and I've been to stingray city in grand Cayman.  They were everywhere swimming in flocks through the waves.  Big ones too at least 2 feet wide.  

Saw them last year while jet skiing down at Corsons Inlet.  We were jumping waves and you'd see them swimming beneath you.  Thousands of them.  They were big Cownose rays.  Very cool.  

Mt. Holly had a SPS up for this.   Didn't really expect anything tonight although the chances were out there (good thing I threw some fertilizer out on the plants).

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
915 PM EDT Tue Jul 16 2019

NJZ018-019-PAZ070-071-104-106-170200-
Northwestern Burlington-Camden-Lower Bucks-Eastern
Montgomery-Delaware-Philadelphia-
915 PM EDT Tue Jul 16 2019

...A STRONG THUNDERSTORM WILL AFFECT NORTHWESTERN CAMDEN...
NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON...SOUTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY...SOUTH CENTRAL
BUCKS...PHILADELPHIA AND NORTHEASTERN DELAWARE COUNTIES...

At 915 PM EDT, a strong thunderstorm was located over Bryn Mawr, or 8
miles west of Philadelphia, moving east at 20 mph.

Wind gusts up to 50 mph are possible with this storm.

Locations impacted include...
Philadelphia, Camden, Bensalem, Mount Laurel, Norristown, West
Norriton, East Norriton, Yeadon, Riverside, Conshohocken, Palmyra,
Jenkintown, Narberth, East Lansdowne, Beverly, Rockledge, Abington,
Bryn Athyn, Wissinoming and Morris Park.

Torrential rainfall is also occurring with this storm, and may cause
localized flooding. Do not drive your vehicle through flooded
roadways.

Frequent cloud to ground lightning is occurring with this storm.
Lightning can strike 10 miles away from a thunderstorm. Seek a safe
shelter inside a building or vehicle.

LAT...LON 3990 7493 3995 7539 4005 7538 4007 7536
      4007 7538 4013 7538 4015 7491
TIME...MOT...LOC 0115Z 271DEG 19KT 4004 7530

$$

Meola

Back edge is coming through now but eventually got over 1"/hr rates with a gully washer but just for a couple minutes.  So far have 0.25" from it (at post time) and the temps were knocked down almost 10 degrees to 73.  That + hot asphalt, hot cement, hot brick and stone, and hot metal will = sauna for the next couple days.

A little surprised to see Mt.Holly only have a high in the lower 90's for my area on Friday in their updated zone forecast this morning. I think that is a little low IMO but we'll see. Also there is a Flash Flood Watch in effect here from this afternoon thru late tonight for localized rainfall amounts of 2-4" possible.

4 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Yeah, it's ugly out.  Not even 7 AM and already an 81F heat index.  

My windows are steamed up and it's 77 with dps in the mid-70s.  The only thing that makes it "not too bad" at the moment (had to go outside and add some nectar to my hummingbird feeder) is that the sun isn't blazing yet here due to a high deck of clouds.  Soon as that sun emerges, look out! :yikes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stemwinder said:

I've heard just one or two summer cicadas recently, but only at sunset.  Is it too brutal for them in the daytime?  

Will be happy when this godawful steam bath has abated.

I started hearing them in the morning around July 4th here in Philly (just once) and then again in the morning a week ago the day before the heavy rain, and again yesterday morning and on/off during the day yesterday.  Before that it was mainly in the late afternoon and early evening.