• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2019 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Temps/dew point slightly lower then yesterday here, looks like some heavy rain/storms developing to our southwest heading in this direction. I think today will be more of a heavy rain threat versus any stronger storms, I will hold off on making any comments on the severe potential tomorrow until early in the morning.

Current temp 69/DP 66/RH 86%

**Currently getting a moderate/heavy rain shower here.**

I have been dodging the bullet the past couple days.  Had 0.01" yesterday and today (so far), both days with scattered non-measurable sprinkles on and off during the day with periods of sun both days.  Yesterday's rain was more north and today I was fringed with the rain with the heaviest cells just a few miles to my north that fizzled over my area but then reformed into a line that eventually intensified over lower NE Philly and across into Jersey.

I did hit 85 yesterday and had a high of 82 today.  Currently 75 and overcast with dp 69.

The humidity is insane.  The concrete floor inside this warehouse im sealing with Ashford still has puddles in the area that we worked on Tuesday.  And since theres so much water on the floor, with little airflow, the whole warehouse turned hazy/cloudy as the air got saturated. Not dusty, as I'm used to seeing, just straight cloudy.  

Also some nice isolated storms passing through right now. 

Finally got in on the action within the past couple hours.  Had the heaviest between 3 am - 4:30 am accompanied by a garden variety thunderstorm (with lightning), something that was missing with previous storms.  The small band of storms has moved to the north of here at the moment.  Currently at 0.83" from the overnight rain, overcast/misty and 69.

I had heard on KYW's traffic report earlier this morning that there was a possible lightning strike/fire/roof collapse "at a supermarket" in Flourtown.  The streets marking the boundary of the closure of Bethlehem Pike suggests that it might have been the Flourtown Acme (there's a Giant a bit further down Bethlehem Pike).  Have been hunting for some more info as I do go to that Acme on occasion.

Wow.  Finally got an update at what happened at that Acme in Flourtown.  Heavy rains & roof collapse around 4 am this morning contributed to a break in the sprinkler system pipes that flooded and damaged the interior of the supermarket.  They said employees in the store were able to self-evacuate but there's no ETA for when the store might reopen as they have to assess the damage.

ETA - looks like DIX came back online around 6:30 am.  Sun is popping in and out here now too.

As of 8 am, Allentown had picked up another 0.03" rain. That brings the year-to-date total precipitation during 2019 to 30.00". 2019 now ranks as Allentown's 103rd wettest year on record, just ahead of 1980 when 29.82" precipitation was recorded. The 102nd wettest year on record is 1965 when 30.55" precipitation was measured.

3.1" of rain since Monday here. 1.8" yesterday. The HRRR has been consistent this morning about bringing another round of 1-2" rains across SE PA. This would certainly cause issues. The good thing is we shouldn't have as slow of storm motions as yesterday but training definitely could be a concern. Even a quick inch is going to cause issues with all the rain we've had this week.