• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2019 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Sun back out.  The cell had a history of producing 1/4" hail but apparently here over the city, the atmospheric heat sink melted the small hail pieces resulting in huge rain drops (I thought it might have been hail and stood out in it but it was all liquid) - and not even enough to tip the bucket.  Temp is down to 75 but I noticed the dp was dropping a bit - down from the mid-60s earlier to upper 50s.

Got some unexpected training storms just now; has been steadily raining for at least a half hour with individual cells forming over me and then trailing off the the northeast. Even saw and heard a few flickers and rumbles of lightening and thunder. Overall, lovely stuff to fall asleep to, if only I should be so lucky. Oh well. It's 69°F with gently falling rain, feels a bit like the kind of distantly stormy summers of my youth growing up near here. I'd love if the entire summer was like this.

Got a couple rounds of brief scattered but heavy (1"/hr) showers overnight - one around 10:30 pm with 0.27" and the other (with same rates) around 2:30 am with another 0.27" for a 2-day total of 0.54".  The way it was clouding up yesterday afternoon, I expected something much earlier but much of the activity seemed to be to the south and east of here. It did make it up to 85 yesterday before the clouds started rolling in.

Currently a steamy (windows fogged up) 69, with dews in the upper 60s, and mostly cloudy with the sunrise.

That high to the north has been stubborn but it brought a beautiful day, albeit one with a lot of cirrus.  I just came back inside and couldn't figure out why it felt "chilly" at 71 but then saw the winds have been generally easterly blowing in from the chilly ocean.  It did get up to 78 though with the dews ranging from the mid-40s to the low 50s. Currently 71, partly sunny and breezy with what looks like a thick cloud deck sitting there hovering to the south.

After some dribs and drabs yesterday, finally got a heavier brief round of rain(>1"/hr) around 8pm last night.  The measurable pretty much cut off after 9 pm resulting in 0.64" for the day but did resume just after midnight, with a brief shower around 12:30 am and a couple more showers between 4 and 5:30 am for another 0.14" (total for the 2-days so far was 0.78").  It was pretty steamy with dews in the low 70s yesterday afternoon that steamed up the windows.

Currently overcast, breezy, and 67 as the back edge moves east and the cold front moves through.