Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

30 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

@psv88what were the winds on your weather station when this hit?  Looks like some nice straight line winds from storm of around 50-60 mph based on your videos.

weather station is horrible getting wind, recorded a gust to 18 lol. Winds must have been over 60, trees that survived Sandy were crushed. That backyard video is from a tightly enclosed space surrounded by fences and houses, so getting that much wind is absurd. Based on local wind reports, my personal experience, etc i would estimate top wind gust came in around 70 mph, maybe a bit higher on some blocks. FRG recorded 51 gust and ISP 54, neither of which took a hit from the main cell. There were also gusts over 70 recorded along CT coast, and north shore LI, so around 70 seems fair. Also saw some siding ripped off of houses, which probably wouldnt happen with winds under 60

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Made 2 Youtube videos from my security cameras. Action starts around 14:21:30, ramps up thereafter. Can see the trees come down in the backyward shot. 

Impressive. Wow. Looks like gusts easily over 60 mph. Any official measurements clocked anywhere? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Impressive. Wow. Looks like gusts easily over 60 mph. Any official measurements clocked anywhere? 

Nws storm reports has some gusts from mesonet and wxflow over 70, a bunch over 60. But there are no official sites within path of cell. Closest was ISP gusted to 54. Some of the concentrated damage in my area indicated winds over 60. Honestly worse than anything I saw in Sandy

• Like 1

...we really dodge a bullet out here in eastport/westhampton dunes..

first 1 missed east.

second 1 missed west.

after the first one came thru i was amazed how quickly it cleared out..deep blue skies,

wind dropped off..we were tempted to go back to the beach..but looking north i said no way.

all in all quite an interesting weather day..

Fairly typical 2010’s June for the temperature departures. We finished with a very small + departure.

Since 2010.....EWR...7 out of 10 +........NYC.....8 out of 10 +.......LGA......9 out of 10+

June...EWR....NYC....LGA

2019...+0.3.....+0.2....+0.6

2018...-0.3.....+0.6.....+0.7

2017..+0.3......+0.6....+1.4

2016..+0.5......+0.9....+1.4

2015...-0.4......-0.2.....-0.9

2014...+0.4.....+1.1....+0.3

2013...+0.9.....+1.3...+1.8

2012.....0.0.....-0.4....+0.7

2011...+2.1.....+0.9...+0.5

2010...+3.8....+3.3....+3.8

No power at my place since the storm and estimated to stay that way until tonight. The damage doesn’t look terrible in my neighborhood (some large branches and limbs down) but a huge branch came down in the worst possible spot and knocked out several power lines to the homes on my side of the street. 

The damage I’m seeing reminds of me of the Mar 2010 nor’easter that had 70-80 mph wind in Long Beach. 

13 hours ago, NycStormChaser said:
13 hours ago, Rock888 said:
^^^^ wow that is absolutely gorgeous 

I swear it was close to putting down a waterspout but I wasn't far enough east to stay drive so I went back to my car

This is another view of the approach of that cell that you posted earlier.

94D5D485-A5FE-4F0D-B93A-3C4064064FD2.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, psv88 said:

quite the drive around commack. tons of damage, some structural siding ripped off, etc. Winds to about 75-80 seem right

There is a WU station in East Northport that recorded a wind gust to 35 Mph as the storm approached just before 3pm.  It is an Ambient station.  I have an Ambient and a Weatherflow close to each other here and knowing the enhanced capability of the Weatherflow to measure gusts I would argue 50 - 60 mph.  My brother lives in East Northport between Clay Pitts and 5th.  In any case his street looks like a war zone with tree damage at least as bad as what you received.  

June average temperature ends up averaging 71.7 in NYC...same as last year...the 2010-19 decade ends up averaging 72.2...the last 40 years has a 71.8 average...

June ave temp....max..min/ ave max min

1870's.....70.4.......na.....na.....na.....na
1880's.....70.5.......96.....48.....91.0.....51.5
1890's.....70.9.......97.....48.....93.6.....53.4
1900's.....70.0.......95.....48.....91.1.....52.7
1910's.....69.0.......95.....47.....90.9.....51.1
1920's.....70.1.......99.....45.....92.7.....51.0
1930's.....71.6.....101.....47.....93.7.....52.4
1940's.....71.5.......99.....44.....93.9.....51.1
1950's.....71.2.....100.....48.....94.2.....51.9
1960's.....72.0.....101.....48.....95.5.....52.7
1970's.....71.0.......95.....46.....91.1.....52.0
1980's.....71.7.......98.....47.....92.7.....52.6
1990's.....72.2.......98.....49.....92.8.....52.6
2000's.....71.3.......96.....49.....91.4.....52.5
2010's.....72.2.......95.....50.....91.9.....53.0...2010-19
1870/1880-
2019 ave 71.0.....101.....44.....92.4.....52.0
1990-
2019 ave 71.9.......98.....49.....92.0.....52.7

8 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

There is a WU station in East Northport that recorded a wind gust to 35 Mph as the storm approached just before 3pm.  It is an Ambient station.  I have an Ambient and a Weatherflow close to each other here and knowing the enhanced capability of the Weatherflow to measure gusts I would argue 50 - 60 mph.  My brother lives in East Northport between Clay Pitts and 5th.  In any case his street looks like a war zone with tree damage at least as bad as what you received.  

that area of East Northport got slammed as well. Interesting drive to work today, many side streets still blocked off by trees and powerlines. I think our area saw localized gusts at or close to 70. Ive been through, Sandy, Irene, other storms with winds to 60, and this was on par with the worst of em. You dont see 100 foot oak trees snap at the trunk in 50 mph winds. A small tree can be uprooted, but not 4 foot in diameter tree trunks in health trees. The siding ripped from houses, nowhere near trees, indicates winds over 60. That initial burst of winds had immense power like nothing i have ever seen before, and we get strong winds out here very often.

Also, you cant take WU wind meters for shit. I have a Davis but the anenometer is 2 m off the ground and surrounded by trees and a fence. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

that area of East Northport got slammed as well. Interesting drive to work today, many side streets still blocked off by trees and powerlines. I think our area saw localized gusts at or close to 70. Ive been through, Sandy, Irene, other storms with winds to 60, and this was on par with the worst of em. You dont see 100 foot oak trees snap at the trunk in 50 mph winds. A small tree can be uprooted, but not 4 foot in diameter tree trunks in health trees. The siding ripped from houses, nowhere near trees, indicates winds over 60. That initial burst of winds had immense power like nothing i have ever seen before, and we get strong winds out here very often.

Also, you cant take WU wind meters for shit. I have a Davis but the anenometer is 2 m off the ground and surrounded by trees and a fence. 

I am not disagreeing with you on the WU wind meters.  That is why I compared it to a Weatherflow.  I also have a Davis but I can tell you that the Weatherflow uses a technology that better measures wind speed.  We had a severe storm here on Saturday.  The Ambient measured 23 mph.  The Weatherflow measured 32 mph.  These instruments are about 4 feet apart.

25 minutes ago, psv88 said:

You need to move it to the roof and have it on tripod post. I should give you crap for your anemometer not being sited correctly :P

4 hours ago, jm1220 said:

No power at my place since the storm and estimated to stay that way until tonight. The damage doesn’t look terrible in my neighborhood (some large branches and limbs down) but a huge branch came down in the worst possible spot and knocked out several power lines to the homes on my side of the street. 

The damage I’m seeing reminds of me of the Mar 2010 nor’easter that had 70-80 mph wind in Long Beach. 

I was out in bayshore last night and there were several trees down and lots of branches. I would estimate that area saw winds around 60. At home in wantagh we had stronger winds sat then sun. I would think 40-50 sat with small branches down. One fell right on my zucchini’s and broke some stems. 

9 hours ago, uofmiami said:

You need to move it to the roof and have it on tripod post. I should give you crap for your anemometer not being sited correctly :P

Then you remember to add the lightning protection and pretty soon you need an electrician. Roof tripods are not that simple.

9 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was out in bayshore last night and there were several trees down and lots of branches. I would estimate that area saw winds around 60. At home in wantagh we had stronger winds sat then sun. I would think 40-50 sat with small branches down. One fell right on my zucchini’s and broke some stems. 

I drive through Hauppauge and Commack today and the tree damage looked pretty severe. You go any distance west of me and there’s almost no damage. My neighborhood seems to be where the wind damage really started. My power just came on 30 mins ago. 

1 hour ago, etudiant said:

Then you remember to add the lightning protection and pretty soon you need an electrician. Roof tripods are not that simple.

I mounted mine on a shed.  I grounded it with an 8’ 1/2” copper grounding rod purchased from HD and connected it with #6 coated stranded copper wire.

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

I drive through Hauppauge and Commack today and the tree damage looked pretty severe. You go any distance west of me and there’s almost no damage. My neighborhood seems to be where the wind damage really started. My power just came on 30 mins ago. 

Much of my immediate neighborhood still has no power and some roads are still blocked off. I drove to the Walt Whitman mall today and back and there was almost no damage west of exit 42 on the NSP. Saw some damage just east of the mall but mainly small branches etc. Commack is still a war zone. I’m still convinced we gusted to around 70

10 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Much of my immediate neighborhood still has no power and some roads are still blocked off. I drove to the Walt Whitman mall today and back and there was almost no damage west of exit 42 on the NSP. Saw some damage just east of the mall but mainly small branches etc. Commack is still a war zone. I’m still convinced we gusted to around 70

I really think it was a microburst that affected both commack and huntington. 

3 hours ago, etudiant said:

Yep, I did all that.  It won’t stop lightning but it’ll stop insurance company from saying it wasn’t grounded.  Worth the $$$$.