Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

38 minutes ago, psv88 said:

yea FOK, JFK and ISP shouldnt reach 90 before NYC

They needed a clearing away from any trees for a proper weather station sitting. Too bad there wasn’t an open area in the park for NYS Mesonet to set up a new station.

Proper sitting

NYC incorrect sitting under trees

2306D867-ED49-4D40-A8CF-C057F2AF9D60.jpeg.dbd52886a6ba1e7c07ec3780dca8e1d7.jpeg

• Like 2

Under sunny skies, the temperature reached 89° in Central Park. At the New York Botanical Garden, the Corpse Flower (Amorphophallus titanum) is in its short-lived bloom (second photo). Blooms are rare and unpredictable. Each plant takes 7-10 years to store sufficient energy to bloom. The flower emits a pungent smell similar to rotting meat, which attracts insect pollinators that feed on dead animals. The New York Botanical Garden’s corpse flower is in full bloom today. Its bloom will wind down sometime tomorrow.

Six photos are below. The Garden’s iconic Enid A. Haupt Conservatory is undergoing renovations. Its glass dome is now being protected during that process (first photo).

NYBG06282019-17.jpg

NYBG06282019-1.jpg

NYBG06282019-11.jpg

NYBG06282019-23.jpg

NYBG06282019-19.jpg

NYBG06282019-25.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Maybe your elevation keep you cool, i dont see any other reason. Everywhere else on the island hit 90 last 2 days

My other station hit 90 yesterday, only 89 today as well & that is out by the pool on top of patio stones.  My netatmo hit 96.8 today, haha.  I'm sure I'll hit 90 one of these days. I missed 90 by a degree two days in a row, if I was 3-5 degrees off from highs I'd be concerned truthfully.  I'll take the title of NYC of LI and run with it :lol:

49 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

Weatherlink app says 88.5 (89) so far.  It's 88.0 now.

89F high again here today, after 88 and 89. Comports with the Holmdel and Howell mesonets of 89 today, and TTN topped out at 89 today. Borderline 90F days have almost always ended up missing for my location and rural CNJ. For my area I consider anything above 93 to be anomalous and 95+ very anomalous. Nights have been 64, 64, 65 the past 3.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

89F high again here today, after 88 and 89. Comports with the Holmdel and Howell mesonets of 89 today, and TTN topped out at 89 today. Borderline 90F days have almost always ended up missing for my location and rural CNJ. For my area I consider anything above 93 to be anomalous and 95+ very anomalous. Nights have been 64, 64, 65 the past 3.

89 here also owing to a sse wind since noon...Lows have been similar mid to upper 60's.

32 minutes ago, doncat said:

89 here also owing to a sse wind since noon...Lows have been similar mid to upper 60's.

I would be interested in comparing our weather station records more extensively. We have very, very similar climates; I think the primary difference would probably be I'm a couple degrees cooler at night on average, but our highs are usually almost identical. 

23 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

I would be interested in comparing our weather station records more extensively. We have very, very similar climates; I think the primary difference would probably be I'm a couple degrees cooler at night on average, but our highs are usually almost identical. 

Hey Tom, that wunderground link leads to a different station, not yours, doesn't it? Weatherlink also?

The historic June heat wave peaked today with France experiencing its most extreme heat on record. Two locations tied the previous national record high temperature of 111° and two surpassed it.

High temperatures included: Bolzano, Italy: 104° (Tied June/all-time record); Gallargue-le-Montueux, France: 115° (all-time national record); Istres, France: 111° (all-time record); Le Luc, France: 106° (June record); Madrid: 106° (June record); Marseille, France: 102° (June record); Milan: 97° (Tied June record set yesterday); Montpelier, France: 109° (all-time record); Nimes, France: 111° (all-time record); Orange, France: 106° (June record); Perpignan, France: 108° (all-time record); Torrejon, Spain: 106° (June record); Villevielle, France: 113°; and, Zaragoza, Spain: 108° (June record)

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.5°C for the week centered around June 19. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.02°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.77°C. Neutral-warm ENSO conditions could develop later this month and then continue into at least the first half of July.

The SOI was -27.20 today.

Today, the preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) figure was -1.294.

Blocking is consistent with warmth on the East Coast during the middle and latter part of summer. Hence, should blocking generally persist, the prospects of a warm or perhaps very warm second half of summer could increase.

With respect to the current month, there were 13 cases where the AO averaged -0.75 or below during the first half of June. The mean temperature for the second half of June usually fell within 1° of normal in the northern Middle Atlantic region (73.6° is normal in New York City). According to the latest guidance, the June 16-30 temperature could finish near 74.5°. As suggested by the guidance and pattern, the closing week of June has experienced some of the warmest temperatures so far this summer.

In addition, since 1950, there was only a single year that saw the AO average -1.000 or below in May and -0.500 or below in June (as appears likely in 2019): 1993. 1993 featured much above normal readings in the East during the late summer (August 15-September 15 period) and predominantly cooler than normal readings across the western third of the nation during much of the summer.

On June 27, the MJO was in Phase 7 at an amplitude of 1.164 (RMM). The June 26-adjusted amplitude was 0.999.

Since 1974 when MJO data was reported, years in which the MJO was in Phase 5 at an amplitude of 1.500 or above for at least two days, as was the case this year, were typically warmer than normal and drier than normal during the first 10 days of July.

Since 1994, there have been 6 cases where the SOI fell to -35.00 or below during the June 16-30 period as occurred on June 21-22. Following such SOI outcomes, the July 1-15 temperature averaged approximately 3.5° above the June 16-30 figure in New York City. Based on the modeled June 16-30 outcome, that would imply that the first half of July would be among the top third warmest first halves of the month on record. In addition, 4/6 (67%) of those cases were followed by an El Niño winter (one was followed by a La Niña winter and one was followed by a neutral ENSO winter).

The implied probability of a warmer than normal June in and around New York City is currently 63%.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doncat said:

Hey Tom, that wunderground link leads to a different station, not yours, doesn't it? Weatherlink also?

Don, unfortunately, when I bought a new laptop and downloaded the latest version of Weatherlink on it, 6.0.5., my ability to upload data to the weatherlink website ceased. So wunderground no longer works either. I spent probably almost 1 hour speaking w/ a Davis support representative last week, but to no avail. They can't figure it out. My weatherlink computer software works fine, I just can't get the software to communicate with the website. If you have any ideas let me know, but at this point, my station is offline interminably. 

34 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Don, unfortunately, when I bought a new laptop and downloaded the latest version of Weatherlink on it, 6.0.5., my ability to upload data to the weatherlink website ceased. So wunderground no longer works either. I spent probably almost 1 hour speaking w/ a Davis support representative last week, but to no avail. They can't figure it out. My weatherlink computer software works fine, I just can't get the software to communicate with the website. If you have any ideas let me know, but at this point, my station is offline interminably. 

I’ve had many issues with this as well. There is a last ditch program called cumulus I have used before to get your data online. I don’t use it now since my weatherlink software works, but it used to work well for me. 

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

Just a thought but when the new  weatherlink  2.0 website was launched, it now requires you to enter your logger DEVICE  ID instead  of  your username...were you migrated  over to 2.0?  In the software go to "setup"  "communications port"  and change "user id" to your logger id.

9 hours ago, psv88 said:

Maybe your elevation keep you cool, i dont see any other reason. Everywhere else on the island hit 90 last 2 days

FRG hasn't hit 90 yet.  88 there today (yesterday). I hit 90 today (barely, 89.6)  It was 88, 89, 90 last 3 days.  I think the Wantagh mesonet only made it to 87.