Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

thats why I turn all electronics off during storms.  I've lost thousands of dollars of equipment because of thunderstorms.

Oh wow, that is really painful.  A good UPS might cost several hundred dollars, but would protect the expensive electronics.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Yes I have one of those now, but I still worry about damage and turn everything off regardless.  I have large voltage fluctuations here (I see that on the UPS's LCD panel) and sometimes have brownouts that last a fraction of a second which happen when the wind gusts or a storm comes in.  The UPS batteries are hard for me to replace so every few years I get a new one.  I'm on my fourth one now lol.

The 00z Albany balloon was within a degree of minimum climo 850mb temp, and radiating conditions are close to ideal. 44/42 at the moment. If sunrise were an hour or two later, I'd have some serious frost concerns. As it stands, not difficult to envision getting down to 37-38 and putting the brakes on plant vigor for the next week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Next 8 days averaging 73degs., or about 3degs AN.

Finally reached 60* here at 8:30am.   Low was near 58*.      Ocean keeping me warmer now, uncharacteristically.   

Just an embarrassing 63* by Noon.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

The 00z Albany balloon was within a degree of minimum climo 850mb temp, and radiating conditions are close to ideal. 44/42 at the moment. If sunrise were an hour or two later, I'd have some serious frost concerns. As it stands, not difficult to envision getting down to 37-38 and putting the brakes on plant vigor for the next week.

Only 43 for me, too much moisture around me this time of year but I see KMGJ a couple miles away from here hit 39. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Shout out to the UHI for taking care of that problem..20190604_073116.thumb.jpg.1e22b2b596ad407ffc91e5100e02d7ab.jpg

487988424_Screenshot_20190604-070035_StormRadar.thumb.jpg.eac3eba13e448a11f4dd7d7e8d3aca3a.jpg

18 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Would be nice if this could hold for next fall/winter. 

Also wow at the dramatic turnaround from record low heights. 

You can see this record blocking focused near Greenland reflected in the NAO. It’s been negative every day since the end of April with no changes in sight.

0670B1A3-9D0F-423F-907C-225798DCC6A3.thumb.png.feaa01f2a344c0cce969df5b70b92290.png

01164DE4-C083-48BD-9659-74D4BEBAD936.thumb.gif.7a4ef5f0c17bd200d6a07e0043600d22.gif

• Like 1

Not as confident on where the best precip chances set up after tomorrow night's deluge, but it looks increasingly likely we'll be backdoored from late Thursday through the weekend. Most guidance suggests we'll be drier and probably sunnier this round.

My guess is that if wet weather doesn't return Sunday, it will Monday...lingering into much of next week. That trough @bluewave posted above will produce stormy, southwest flow here as long as it's in the Great Lakes. Once the trough axis is as far east as the ECMWF above, wet weather would probably settle into the Southeast and southern Mid-Atlantic.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Not as confident on where the best precip chances set up after tomorrow night's deluge, but it looks increasingly likely we'll be backdoored from late Thursday through the weekend. Most guidance suggests we'll be drier and probably sunnier this round.

My guess is that if wet weather doesn't return Sunday, it will Monday...lingering into much of next week. That trough @bluewave posted above will produce stormy, southwest flow here as long as it's in the Great Lakes. Once the trough axis is as far east as the ECMWF above, wet weather would probably settle into the Southeast and southern Mid-Atlantic.

kind of surprised by this outlook 

day2otlk_1730.gif

4 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

kind of surprised by this outlook 

Yeah, don't see why marginal won't cover NYC and southern New England on subsequent updates. Flow is fairly weak in mid-levels and lapse rates aren't like they were w/ the SI hail event last week, but there is some impressive moisture/theta-e return and focus in the region. Could maybe see some brief spin-ups along with isolated wet microbursts, in addition to the tropical downpours.

18 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

the new moon will help lower your temps even more ;-)

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

You can see this record blocking focused near Greenland reflected in the NAO. It’s been negative every day since the end of April with no changes in sight.

0670B1A3-9D0F-423F-907C-225798DCC6A3.thumb.png.feaa01f2a344c0cce969df5b70b92290.png

01164DE4-C083-48BD-9659-74D4BEBAD936.thumb.gif.7a4ef5f0c17bd200d6a07e0043600d22.gif

Chris, what are the reasons we didn't have this at any point during the winter but somehow as soon as spring comes along we got this NAO signal?  It seems to be a pattern that happens a lot - is a neg NAO more common in the spring than in the winter for some reason?

I love this weather- nice and dry and sunny.  I just dont like it when it rains every other day and you dont see the sun for a month.  My ideal weather would be sunny 6 days out of every week and rain on the seventh day.  Maybe one day when humankind can finally control the weather we'll be able to do that ourselves.  And get rid of all the horrible flooding that happens when systems stall and the same pattern keeps repeating like they are having in the middle of the country.