• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 27-29 Severe Potential

janetjanet998

What a crazy night for Ohio, and for the last two weeks overall in regards to tornadoes. I don't recall the last time a large tornado hit Ohio. Don't think of them as a typical area to get tornadoes. Last week it was the midwest, typical tornado alley spots that got hit. Before that it was the SE. This has been a bad month for tornadoes. 

6 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Strong ef 2 then are we thinking for the Dayton storm? Didn't seem to be quite as violent as first thought last night.

There are some pictures coming out of Trotwood now that show houses flattened and brick houses completely destroyed. Probably higher than that. Great news though about the absence of fatalities. 

8 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Most pics I took a look at were roof damage, debris scattered and tree damage but cars were mainly intact and not thrown and flipped. I didn't see ones you did so may have been worse. Being at night may have helped in this case, as at least people were home inside a structure.

These were ripped off Twitter as I can't embed so many links. If that's an issue I will take it off right away. I believe these are all in Trotwood. 

D7pYbSkW4AARQWU.jpeg

D7pnd2XWkAI83un.jpeg

D7p0lZcX4AA3NHN.jpeg

7 minutes ago, jpeters3 said:

We all know how useful it is to argue about EF-scale ratings based upon extremely limited information... :rolleyes:

Lest just wait for the survey, eh???

Sorry jpeters, not arguing just speculating in the thread...of course they will have final and total word on it in the end. Fortunate it seems it wasn't extreme high end being time of day it was, but was scary enough as is.

Everything I’ve seen looked like widespread EF2/3 caliber damage. But I’d venture to bet there is some area(s) with worse damage that would warrant a higher EF-rating. That tends to happen frequently with these type of events. 

• Like 2

I will say, the fact that we are several hours removed from the tornado and there are still no reports of fatalities is very encouraging. This looked like a literal worst case scenario last night. 

This tornado emergency population stat HAS to be one of the highest ever right?

8CCC2C0B-D96E-4933-B99C-FABD2A1ED356.jpeg

Just now, jojo762 said:

Everything I’ve seen looked like widespread EF2/3 caliber damage. But I’d venture to bet there is some area(s) with worse damage that would warrant a higher EF-rating. That tends to happen frequently with these type of events. 

Exactly. With the exception of a few like Hackleburg/Phil Campbell, most violent tornadoes produce EF4-5 damage in very small areas during their life cycle. Things get even more complicated when one hits a highly populated area. 

I believe it took a few weeks before Joplin was officially rated an EF5, though that damage was well beyond anything we’ve so far out of Dayton (fortunately). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Hoosier was right to quash some of the downright insane talk of how deadly it'd be last night....extremely violent tornadoes are rare and maybe(hopefully) this one was not on that caliber.

It wasn’t insane to say it last night. Velocity couplet and depth of the CC drop suggested it was at least EF4 intensity. Given how little lead time there was to this event (outlook wise), the fact that it was a holiday, and that the area was heavily populated, it could have been worse.

I agree violent tornadoes are extremely rare, but everything in the radar presentation suggested a pretty high likelihood this was one.

1 minute ago, DanLarsen34 said:

It wasn’t insane to say it last night. Velocity couplet and depth of the CC drop suggested it was at least EF4 intensity. Given how little lead time there was to this event (outlook wise), the fact that it was a holiday, and that the area was heavily populated, it could have been worse.

I agree violent tornadoes are extremely rare, but everything in the radar presentation suggested a pretty high likelihood this was one.

I should add: the fatality part I agree with. High fatality tornadoes are very rare, even in a violent tornado situation. 

Just now, DanLarsen34 said:

I should add: the fatality part I agree with. High fatality tornadoes are very rare, even in a violent tornado situation. 

Exactly, think we mainly agree on this. Lee County this year was rare example of worst case situations that lead to high fatalities (trailer/modular homes and tornado moving extremely fast).

• Like 1

Just now, Wmsptwx said:

Exactly, think we mainly agree on this. Lee County this year was rare example of worst case situations that lead to high fatalities (trailer/modular homes and tornado moving extremely fast).

We do. It’s almost always structures like that getting hit that lead to high fatalities, though even then it takes a violent one to usually get there.  

With better built structures, like what it appears we have here, it takes an exceptionally violent tornado (High-end EF4 or EF5), to cause similar or worse casualty rates.

Early reports of fatalities here would have indicated to me that we were dealing with a potential EF5 before seeing the actual damage. Since we aren’t, that would tend to suggest high-end EF3 to EF4. Of course, there’s still search and rescue going on, so there’s a distinct possibility that we haven’t learned of some yet...