Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

25 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

I don't understand folks obsession with staying cool. To each their own.

As was hashed out by all the A/C talk... the take-away seemed to be that some people work hard to make a living and support themselves, and while they do that they prefer to be comfortable when they are in their own homes. 

With that said, I've got the window fans and all 3 sliding doors open tonight.  Waiting to see if we can pick up a quick temp drop but the sky doesn't have that look...there's some mid-level clouds and debris that make me think we are in for a mild evening without the real mountain valley A/C kicking in. 

• Haha 1

The current upper 70s temps at 8pm here are higher than the forecast highs for Saturday/Sunday/Monday/Tuesday though... Sunday's NWS high is only mid-60s for the valleys up here.

That's one thing to love about New England.  The weather never seems to be the same and it's just up and down with the temps.

4 hours ago, BrianW said:

Does anyone not live in a modern energy efficient house here?

On modern energy efficient airtight homes you dont open the windows. You have HRV/ERV (heat/energy recovery ventilation). All incoming outside air is regulated and either precooled or heated with exhaust air with about 75% efficiency. There is very little air heat or cooling loss while keeping fresh air mixed in.

These homes HVAC systems are all using insanely efficient inverter heat pumps that provide both heat and cooling at insane efficiency. Some units have efficiency ratings of around 480%.  Oil and natural gas is going away as the heat loss on these houses is so low that a 12-24k btu unit is more than adequate. Most people on here probably have 80-120k btu furnaces/boilers and probably send around half of that or more back outside with a leaky poorly insulated house.

There is also very advanced filtration available now that filter out the air extremely well and even have UV lights to kill bacteria.  Outside air pollution is real thing that people dont want to be breathing in especially with allergies/respiratory problems. Extensive testing has been done that show the inside air in you home vastly cleaner comapred to outside air with a good system in place.

The EPA monitors air quality and it is poor here right now. Looks like down in NYC/NJ its really bad.

https://airnow.gov/

My house was built in 1795.  Wood stove in winter 5 cords of green ordered each May and it seasons in the barn for use the next season.  Oil backup if I get lazy but only use about 150 gallons a year.  Window AC units as needed in summer but what I do is I have a big vent in the floor to the basement which is below grade and stays very cold. Turn on the basement fan and blows the cold air up.  On a day like today that alone cools the house. House, leaks like a sieve but no big deal I love the charm of my  antique cape 

• Like 2

We install...a pellet stove. To make a long story short, I was going to do a wood stove, but I didn't want a metal chimney on the outside wall of the front of my house. Going through the roof wasn't an option because I have a double roof as I have a roof over a roof because of my front porch. The double porch roof is over my living room. Pellet stove just vents through the wall. 

Don't need AC here. Likely never will. 77.6° F high today. Indoor temperature at 70° F.

65158232_2100439820067363_8030269790343921664_o.jpg

65306514_2100441323400546_6726735340423348224_o.jpg

65319572_2100440036734008_5082961801881059328_o.jpg

I understand that this is a tight community. I am not part of it. But I have been looking at the NE portion of American Wwather for years now. It seems  as  if there is a consensus here that there are only two things (regarding weather) that are worth talking about: hurricanes and snow storms. 

There may be some convection (pardon if I use a term that I do not understand, but I mean thunderstorms) in SNE on 6/29 and on 6/30. The NWS has posted a possibility of "large  hail" for Sunday, and in nearly 20 years of reading forecasts from the NWS, I don't recall seeing that mentioned for SNE previously.

Can anyone  here give me an idea of the magnitude of this threat?

I hope someone will entertain the concept of speaking to someone who is not part of this tight community. This is  a weather place. I'm asking about weather... ?

5 hours ago, LikesNaturesFury said:

I understand that this is a tight community. I am not part of it. But I have been looking at the NE portion of American Wwather for years now. It seems  as  if there is a consensus here that there are only two things (regarding weather) that are worth talking about: hurricanes and snow storms. 

There may be some convection (pardon if I use a term that I do not understand, but I mean thunderstorms) in SNE on 6/29 and on 6/30. The NWS has posted a possibility of "large  hail" for Sunday, and in nearly 20 years of reading forecasts from the NWS, I don't recall seeing that mentioned for SNE previously.

I hope someone will entertain the concept of speaking to someone who is not part of this tight community. This is  a weather place. I'm asking about weather... ?

Looks pretty good for hailers tomorrow in the more robust cells. Could be some with quarters for sure. I wouldn’t expect baseballs though. Looks like good CAPE in the hail production zone. Shear is lacking, so strongest updrafts may not sustain all that long. Good shear not only helps storm organization, but helps keep updrafts and downdrafts more separated.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Today is interesting. Classic warm push instability with sct storms this morning. Then it all depends on how much sun. Potential is there for some strong to severe storms esp south of like this aftn, but if it’s mostly cloudy that will limit things.

Partly cloudy now with sun with no rain  pike south thankfully.Steamy run this morning . Let’s do it 

BDL has a shot at 90 today though may fall just short .

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Today is interesting. Classic warm push instability with sct storms this morning. Then it all depends on how much sun. Potential is there for some strong to severe storms esp south of like this aftn, but if it’s mostly cloudy that will limit things.

Yup. Just woke up to make this exact post. 

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How does Dennis look for golf after 330

6 hours ago, LikesNaturesFury said:

Um, you are being a tad condescending but there is an entire thread on Tstorms 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dryslot said:

This is New England. Lol, Some homes up here were built in the 1800’s, Mine was in the 40’s

Our daughter’s piano teacher recently moved into a huge colonial from the 1760’s.  Numerous fireplaces. Not really energy efficient 

In Europe, that would be new construction...lol

• Haha 1

We install...a pellet stove. To make a long story short, I was going to do a wood stove, but I didn't want a metal chimney on the outside wall of the front of my house. Going through the roof wasn't an option because I have a double roof as I have a roof over a roof because of my front porch. The double porch roof is over my living room. Pellet stove just vents through the wall. 
Don't need AC here. Likely never will. 77.6° F high today. Indoor temperature at 70° F.

65158232_2100439820067363_8030269790343921664_o.thumb.jpg.48d6d05f2eda794354971de9ca985ed8.jpg
65306514_2100441323400546_6726735340423348224_o.thumb.jpg.d0eab690ca93458aab88fd091b30027a.jpg
65319572_2100440036734008_5082961801881059328_o.thumb.jpg.a97e54087bbcf06e726103b22a76229b.jpg
Is that 3' away from your window?

10 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

We pondered pellets, briefly, but switching from our current wood stove with oil backup (baseboard hot water) would require buying a generator with a protective shed the appropriate distance from the home, which would probably cost more than the pellet appliance/storage installation, and the 2-flue chimney is in place.  We're at the end of the maintained road with only 3 residences on it, thus would be the last to get attention from lineworkers during an outage.  4-5 cords/yr plus about 400 gallons of fuel, which also provides domestic hot water, reducing the electric bill by about half.  Everyone's situation is different, so the solutions should be different as well.

Cloudy and humid here, as significant rain is north and south.  We'll see if it holds off long enough for some garden work - this kind of air is loved by mosquitos, and I refuse to use repellent just for gardening.  In the woods for hours, that's different.