Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

A real estate friend in CT said most buyers these days won't even bother looking at a house that doesnt have central air.  It will add a massive resale value to your home. I will never buy another home without it. Have you ever had it? Its incredible to have your entire house cool and comfortable. 

Yes I have had it before. I know the luxury and added value to the home. But I’m not selling this one for another 20years or so. 

2 hours ago, West Mtn NY said:

The lack of Central AC on this sub forum resulting in hundreds of post regarding installing/not installing is astounding. 

My kids in SNJ have it, and they did in Decatur, IL before that.  However, those places run 1,000-1,200 cooling DDs on average and my area less than 200.  Probably should've put in our little window unit last July in the swampfest like we did for similar mega-dews in 2013, last time we used it.  Cost/benefit for central air just doesn't work when the July average temps are 76/54.

You got it!   I'm not sure that place has ever hit 90F

I'd guess it has, more than once but not often.  Rangeley has touched 94, and reaches 90 about one year in three.  They're 500' lower but also 160 miles closer to the pole.

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Hopefully my last Summer without Central Air.  We just got some quotes to have it done.

Just the whisper quiet aspect of not hearing the abrasive noise of a window unit is worth the cost. I stopped using Central Heat this house I just bought near West Point. Hot water baseboard heat doesn't make me wake up with a sore throat in morning like hot forced air always did without running several humidifiers

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

My kids in SNJ have it, and they did in Decatur, IL before that.  However, those places run 1,000-1,200 cooling DDs on average and my area less than 200.  Probably should've put in our little window unit last July in the swampfest like we did for similar mega-dews in 2013, last time we used it.  Cost/benefit for central air just doesn't work when the July average temps are 76/54.

You got it!   I'm not sure that place has ever hit 90F

I'd guess it has, more than once but not often.  Rangeley has touched 94, and reaches 90 about one year in three.  They're 500' lower but also 160 miles closer to the pole.

You don't need anything but one portable AC in your bedroom and roll it back in the closet 85% of the summer

40 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I put mine in Tuesday, 15 minutes later it was done. I would like rather have my windows all open. I turned them off and opened all the windows last night to fully enjoy the awesome cool night with low dews.  Hot out here today but not humid, back to my regularly scheduled program, stay wet.

This.  In 21 summers I've recorded just one day, 7/19/2005, in which the temp never dipped below 70.  Upstairs fan on high, blowing out, does a nice job of drawing in that cool evening air, and a window unit blocks that.  When we've put in the window unit, it's been in the downstairs bedroom farthest from the stairs (so back of the line for fan-drawn air), but only in times of dire dews.

Mostly sunny in Augusta but the haze is much less.  Maybe the mid-morning 64° TD has decreased.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

A lot of people here telling others how they should tolerate their heat and humidity.

Seems those who want the excessive heat and dews need the AC the most. Ironic.

Except Dr Dew....who wants it to be 87F inside when it's 75F outside.  He gets points for that.

But yeah, the irony of who wants the heat/humidity and who pressures folks to put in their A/C units is hilarious.  

You cant make this stuff up.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Except Dr Dew....who wants it to be 87F inside when it's 75F outside.  

But yeah, the irony of who wants the heat/humidity and who pressures folks to put in their A/C units is hilarious.  

You cant make this stuff up.

You mean the ones that sit in an air conditioned cubicle all day doing tele sales?

39 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

Just the whisper quiet aspect of not hearing the abrasive noise of a window unit is worth the cost. I stopped using Central Heat this house I just bought near West Point. Hot water baseboard heat doesn't make me wake up with a sore throat in morning like hot forced air always did without running several humidifiers

The noise from the window unit blends in well with the Lasko fan my wife has blaring in the bed room at night to sleep..............lol

29 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Tent A-C.jpg

Camped at Zion National Park about 10 years ago.  Stayed in the Park campground at the southern end . . . walked out of the park and down the street for coffee and muffins for breakfast, then out of the park and down the street for drinks and Thai food in the evening!  Camping the way it was meant to be!!!  :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

As I do here in SE NY but come mid June--Mid September I'm not keeping my house 70-72 without using AC a majority of days 

Its all about the humidity, damp houses breed shit. I like the AC on when the dews stay in the mid 60s. Having your house buttoned up with zero outside air is not healthy either. 

• Like 1

Summer is a quarter of the calender year and some years May and /or October have hot spells. Hell it can be a soupy 65/65 out there anytime and I will flip the damn thing on to take the moisture out of the house. I hate sleeping when I feel clammy. You are retired, I am getting there. The things in life I won't tolerate are being uncomfortable in my home and not eating well. 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its all about the humidity, damp houses breed shit. I like the AC on when the dews stay in the mid 60s. Having your house buttoned up with zero outside air is not healthy either. 

When not humid, AC day, windows at night. Plenty of fresh air. Dews over 60, I'm keeping the house 71 and dry

8 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

Dews are higher. It's not only him though

I think that's the biggest difference I notice between down in CT and up north here a county south of Canada.  The dew points.  We often have summer highs not too much different than ORH at 1,000ft but nights are a lot cooler and the dews average quite a bit lower.  The dews really make a difference, like in summer a Td of 57 vs 64 is palpable.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Up north though, especially in the mountain valleys we cool off really quickly.  I see people talking about setting AC at 72F or 70F... ambient outside temperatures are often below that value by 7-9pm so it makes more sense to use window fans and we have 3 sliding doors accessing the decks, so open those up and we get great air flow.  

Even on the hottest evenings my wife wakes up freezing and shuts all the doors at like 2am.

Take yesterday, hot day in the mid-80s... but between 6-8pm the outside temperature went from 82-66.  So by 8pm when it's still light out, the fans are moving mid-60s air through the house.  

The days I will use AC (a couple times a summer) is if I'm off work and at home and it's above 85F outside.  

I refuse to use AC when the outdoor temp is lower than the AC set temp.

The people wondering about our fascination about air conditioners live in a place that requires it.  They don't understand the concept of it cooling off at night enough to not warrant it. 

Central AC is great, but I find it stuffy.  Sure it will cool off a room but the air doesn't move as much as having windows open or with a window unit.  I also think that a window unit lowers the humidity more.  I don't have any scientific proof on that but I have a lot of woodwork (110 year old house) and it gets sticky when its humid so I have window units that also act as dehumidifiers.

The only problem I have is I'm an early riser and as such I go to bed earlier than most.  If the day is really warm, there isn't enough time to cool off enough before I go to bed so I wind up using the AC on those nights.  Otherwise, I turn on the central fan to air out the house and turn on one in my bedrooms and I'm fine.  I wish the hill to my west was as big as the hill to your west.  ;)