Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2019 Discussion

weatherwiz

13 hours ago, ROOSTA said:

I miss New England, specifically Greater Boston area; HOME.
SUMMER?
Can say Florida gives a whole new meaning to swamp-azz dews and temp. Funny what you can get acclimated to. Vacations taken N in the Summer months. I now know why!
Heat Indexes over 110F for days, weeks... it's been that way since the end of May.
Low Td this month so far has been 65F with a Hi of 82F. Daily Temps mid-upper 90's, nights never drop below 75F.
Need ice-cubes to cool pool water. LOL

It's nice to be able to write this.
One month removed from open heart triple-bypass surgery.  Figure it's all gravy from here on out. 

My wife had a double bypass in October 2007 and has been pretty much symptom-free since then.  Life goes on.

Sun has burned off most of the clouds, will need to run the LR fan this afternoon.  1st time this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yeah that would be a heat wave. There's your low/mid 90s with maybe a 97F on a freshly paved tarmac.

It's interesting how disparate the operational GFS is relative to the Euro/EPS ... This is a circumstance of bad- cross guidance agreement.   It has MOS struggling 86 Thurs ...otherwise, can't really get more than 3 clicks over climo through next week. 

To its credit, those numbers appear consistent with it's own synoptic handling.  But, as I've been ranting about all spring and really have had no reason as of late to see the model as doing otherwise, it erodes ridges to much ...grinding them down with MCS vestige bullets, and/or with just some sort of thing where it just like sees the whole world through an optic lens that is distorted... stretched ( oh so slightly but enough..) in the longitudinal direction... That could account for limiting it's warm domes in its own rite.. but I am also noticing that there are these meso vort shrapnels peppering the ridge interfaces with the westerlies with these American guidance types .. Seems the NAM even does this a bit to tell you the truth.  Get a load of that 200+ hour 'Day After Tomorrow' vortex over eastern Canada?

Thing is...convection will create ripples and meso kinks ... some of which may indeed go onto to become players.  I'm not sure how to pin-point which ones have that potential... and I'm not sure the GFS does either. Ha.  It just takes the course of least regret and and grinds ridges down with everything it sees.  Kind of makes sense ...with the Euro's 4-d smoothing operation designed to stop spurious amplitudes and so forth... it doesn't do that?  -maybe that's it. I dunno. 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

anyone not installing ? (I.E Cheap)

I thought about getting the fans out of the basement the other day but haven't yet.  I am still being stopped by my wife from opening the windows at night due to the pollen.  I may or may not be opening them for an hour or two in the morning before anyone else gets up.  I am saying I have been but ain't saying that I am not.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

No need to install, love the heat and dews.

Much respect.  You live and love it.  Not preach it and then stay inside looking at the Davis dews through a frosty A/C window.  

I have AC but we use it maybe 3 times a summer.... though last summer was probably more like 5-10 times.  Last night was mid-50s and pleasant sleeping.  Window fans can cool it down real quick once the sun starts to drop.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Much respect.  You live and love it.  Not preach it and then stay inside looking at the Davis dews through a frosty A/C window.  

I have AC but we use it maybe 3 times a summer.... though last summer was probably more like 5-10 times.  Last night was mid-50s and pleasant sleeping.  Window fans can cool it down real quick once the sun starts to drop.

Yeah, it's usually tolerable up your way, even in the hottest times.

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I don't get the fascination you all have with not using AC. Is it a money thing? Pride? Maybe you all dont have young kids still in the house. Regardless, once temp in the house is above 72 at night, central AC goes on until October. No reason not to be comfortable in 2019.

I like to be fully adjusted/acclimated to HHH.  Sit in a/c for long periods and you'll never be comfortable without it.

3 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

The lack of Central AC on this sub forum resulting in hundreds of post regarding installing/not installing is astounding. 

Right. My house was built in 1958 and had central air when it was built. My real estate friend said central air is like the number 1 thing people want in houses now. 

14 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I don't get the fascination you all have with not using AC. Is it a money thing? Pride? Maybe you all dont have young kids still in the house. Regardless, once temp in the house is above 72 at night, central AC goes on until October. No reason not to be comfortable in 2019.

Not cheap and not pride.  Honestly don't need it.  On hot days we close the windows in the morning and the house is almost entirely in shade.  Open the windows when we get home.  Usually have a good breeze and the ceiling fans are great for sleeping.  Maybe a handful of days we wish we had AC, but not enough that we seriously consider it.  Have a good dehumidifier to deal with the humidity.  I'm 65 and I have never lived in a house with AC.

5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

In New England, central AC is not the standard like it is with new high rises in NYC. 

34 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I just try to embrace the heat unless it is a prolonged stretch and then I fire up the A/C.  The $ savings is nice but I'm not going to get heat stroke over and extra $30-40 on my bill.

Honestly, for me, A/C makes me feel like sh*t, I get achy and drowsy from it.  I will use it often in the car though.

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We have window units and will use them if needed.   So far, 2 evenings.  Last summer, we had them running a ton.  

If someone would like to install Central AC in my house for under $500 I would talk to them.  Otherwise window units are fine 

There’s not much incentive to spend $15k+ on central air imo. We were quoted around $18k and I practically kicked the salesmen out my house.